PDA

View Full Version : Valve timing GSX400X Impulse

PeterD
17th January 2009, 21:19
Does anyone know how to set the valve timing on a GSX400X Impulse. I have the manual for the GSX-R which seems to cover the impulse but the engines are not the same. The signal generator for the GSX-R is on the opposite side of the engine. I checked the GSF Bandit manual and there the engine looks the same, the only difference being the bandit has four carbs instead of two. I decided to go with the bandits instructions but have been unable to find any timing marks or indication of TDC.
Is there any way of determining when no1 is at TDC without stripping the crankcases. I can guess TDC but would be happier if there was a way of getting it spot on.
Also, I would like to know how to set the second camshaft as the two manuals I am using use a different setting.
I have two other engines and would you believe that all three are set differently.
Help please

kiwi cowboy
21st January 2009, 18:10
Does anyone know how to set the valve timing on a GSX400X Impulse. I have the manual for the GSX-R which seems to cover the impulse but the engines are not the same. The signal generator for the GSX-R is on the opposite side of the engine. I checked the GSF Bandit manual and there the engine looks the same, the only difference being the bandit has four carbs instead of two. I decided to go with the bandits instructions but have been unable to find any timing marks or indication of TDC.
Is there any way of determining when no1 is at TDC without stripping the crankcases. I can guess TDC but would be happier if there was a way of getting it spot on.
Also, I would like to know how to set the second camshaft as the two manuals I am using use a different setting.
I have two other engines and would you believe that all three are set differently.
Help please

Witch side is the signal generator and where did you get your manual?
As far as TDC on the right hand end of the shafts there should be a notch in them that should line up level with the gasket face of the motor when the timing mark is at signal generator.
Setting the camshafts is done by the numbers on the sprockets and counting the links on the chain.
IF you give me your email address i can send the pages to you from my manual to see if they help.

PeterD
21st January 2009, 19:15
Hi Kiwi Cowboy,
The signal generator is on the left side when looking towards the front of the bike. I think I have it sorted now. Got TDC on No 1 using a DTI. Set the exhaust sprocket marks in line with the gasket surface and the counted 19 teeth from the second timing mark to the No 3 mark on the inlet sprocket.
I think it is right. Will try and start it to make sure.
Thanks for your help mate, if you think it should be different plaese say so. Might save me a bent valve or two.
Best regards,
Pete