PDA

View Full Version : Biker dies from energy drinks

McJim
21st January 2009, 06:31
Tragic news from Australia.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcyclenews/view/racer_death_sparks_energy_drink_warning/6265.html&source=weeklyemail&attr=news

I don't know where the full story is but it seems they are blaming the caffeine at this moment which is odd as I have been known to consume 8 esspressos one after t'other when doing long shifts, studying or (ahem) before a cycle race. I suspect it's the combination of stimulants in the drinks but it's something to be wary of (I've worked with a few people that knock back huge quantities of energy drinks every day)

Grizzo
21st January 2009, 06:33
Crikey, better slow down on the V drinks:weep:

Blossom
21st January 2009, 06:36
I get the impression he drank them in a very short space of time between races. It seems an excessive ammount of fluid to drink anyway...maybe he was dehydrated?

CB ARGH
21st January 2009, 07:01
Well you can drown from drinking too much, I believe. :gob:

Devil
21st January 2009, 07:05
Well each one i've encountered does say on the side "max 2 cans daily" or words to that effect.

*shrug*. It's like that chick who chewed gum constantly then complained when it was making her sick.

Pwalo
21st January 2009, 07:26
So presumably the cause of death hasn't been determined yet? Seem a bit rich to blame energy drinks per se.

Road Guardian
21st January 2009, 07:31
It is possible to overdose on Caffine, anything more than 200mg (which is about 1/5th the size of a panadol tablet) can be deadly.

Basically it cases issues with the heart=heart stops pumping.

The guy who died probably didn't even know he was overdosing, as the signs and symptoms could have been masked because he was racing, and that brings a increased sense of activity.

Although it is rare, it is more common in people who are using other drugs (both illegal and legal).

And yes, it is possible to die from drinking to much water, although rare in everyday situations, people who take Ecstasy, frequently die from drinking to much water.

jrandom
21st January 2009, 07:42
It is possible to overdose on Caffine, anything more than 200mg (which is about 1/5th the size of a panadol tablet) can be deadly.

You probably mean 2,000mg. And that is neither remotely correct, nor a fixed amount; Wikipedia says that the LD50 (the toxic dose at which 50% mortality is expected) for oral caffeine is 192mg/kg in rats, so if humans have a similar sensitivity that'd be over 15,000mg for an 80kg male.

That's 150 No Doz tablets, 150 330ml bottles of V, etc.

If seven energy drinks killed this guy, it wasn't through caffeine overdose.

And yes, it is possible to die from drinking to much water, although rare in everyday situations, people who take Ecstasy, frequently die from drinking to much water.

It happens more often to competitive athletes than drug users, and the condition is called hyponatremia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia).

Ixion
21st January 2009, 10:26
It's not the caffeine it's the Vit B3. B3 (Niacin) is a vasodilator, can cause blood pressure to drop. Some (rare) people are particularly sensitive to it, and react more than normal. The sudden blood pressure drop caused by drinking a lot real fast can cause a heart stoppage, especially if the heart is already under load.

xwhatsit
21st January 2009, 10:55
I would also think the caffeine story is bullshit. I, too, swoff down multiple espressos a day, and after (now ex!) girlfriend crapping on about caffeine killing me I read a bit. Apparently, even in serious double-shot high-concentration espresso doses, you'll go into a coma long before you'll actually die. Once you go into a coma you can't keep drinking espresso, of course, so it's self-limiting, like trying to hold your breath to commit suicide.

Badjelly
21st January 2009, 11:13
It's not the caffeine it's the Vit B3. B3 (Niacin) is a vasodilator, can cause blood pressure to drop. Some (rare) people are particularly sensitive to it, and react more than normal. The sudden blood pressure drop caused by drinking a lot real fast can cause a heart stoppage, especially if the heart is already under load.

How do you know so much, Ixion?

Devil
21st January 2009, 11:14
He's older than time itself. You get to collect a lot of stuff when you've been around that long!

Badjelly
21st January 2009, 11:21
How do you know so much, Ixion?

He's older than time itself. You get to collect a lot of stuff when you've been around that long!

But you tend to forget where you put it!

XxKiTtiExX
21st January 2009, 11:31
Warnings on the can/bottle about not consuming more than two a day. Also warnings not to consume them while pregnant. I know someone whos step sister used to drink alot of energy drinks on a daily basis, her hair started to fall out. She stopped drinking them, and sure enough her hair stopped falling out. I used to drink V-drinks alot, ended up to the point half way through my first one I would start vomitting severely. :sick:

Mouthwash has been linked to mouthcancer. Talcom powder has been linked to cervical/ovarian cancer (yes people stop smothering your babies in talcom powder). There is so much "shit" being pumped into our food and drinks these days so really nothing would suprise me. If excessive amounts of caffiene can cause you to have a miscarriage who knows what else it could cause when consumed by the right/wrong person.

sunhuntin
21st January 2009, 11:38

yep, i had a coworker die at 19 after an already bad/damaged heart [born like it i think] was loaded with a large number of energy drinks. he died of heart failure. im picking him being a smoker didnt help either.

Pwalo
21st January 2009, 12:00
I don't think his death certificate will state that he died of a caffiene overdose. More likely heart failure due to competing in a motorcross event in the Australian summer.

It's just a headline to grab attention.

jrandom
21st January 2009, 12:24
I would also think the caffeine story is bullshit. I, too, swoff down multiple espressos a day, and after (now ex!) girlfriend crapping on about caffeine killing me I read a bit...

See? Better off without her! Life is good.

:D

(And you should upgrade to a proper one next time, too; having an AZN is pretty much cheating, etc.)

I'd agree that the cause of death would likely be some form of heart failure. Probably exacerbated by dehydration.

Those carbonated 'energy drinks' really suck the fluid out of your body; I'm not a fan of them in any situation other than sitting at an air-conditioned desk. They're basically just a differently-flavoured Coca-Cola with three times the caffeine. Horrid shit.

skidMark
21st January 2009, 12:28
Yup they have nearly killed me, put me in hospital for 2 days on a heart monitor. Heart pulvetations.

Heart racing to flat out out of nowhere, a few very deeps breaths and it would revert back to a normal rate.

No gradual slow down though, from flat out to a resting pace instantly...

At the hospital they actually detected a slight stop between.

I try stay reasonably clear of them now... and if i do i limit my intake.

i was also quite unfit at the time. I now cycle 50-100kms a day and drink powerade when on the bicycle, no issues as yet.

Drogen Omen
21st January 2009, 12:31
gota blaim something cause people dont just die... right...!!!

could have been the deoderant he used...
could have been the bacon, eggs and hashbrown he had for breakfast...
could have been anything realy...

skidMark
21st January 2009, 12:33
http://www.visordown.com/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=3&UTN=399338&SP=&V=1

Interesting discussion on it on the forum.

skidMark
21st January 2009, 12:34

Or ze germanz

Or the canadians, fooking A

XxKiTtiExX
21st January 2009, 13:41

Yes it could be anything, but if there is the possibility of something we consume/use on a regular basis having potentially life threatening risks I think people would like to know so that they then have the option of avoiding the use or consumption of said item.

While we are on the subject of bacon, eggs and hashbrowns, it could very well have been the eggs considering they tested chicken eggs and found they had traces of malamine in them due to what they were feeding the chickens with. So really it isn't exactly something to joke about.
If your kid died from malamine filled milk powder I'm sure you'd be jumping up and down pointing the finger (then again we all die from something right? So who cares what they put in our food, drinks, and other items of daily use)

So again back on topic. Energy drinks. Yes. I'm sure you would also jump up and down and point your finger if it was your child, brother, or sister or some other family member or friend who died from energy drink consumption. If there was even the slightest possibility that some ingredient in said drink could have caused the death of someone you knew you would want to know.

As you were.

skidMark
31st January 2009, 13:01
Yes it could be anything, but if there is the possibility of something we consume/use on a regular basis having potentially life threatening risks I think people would like to know so that they then have the option of avoiding the use or consumption of said item.

While we are on the subject of bacon, eggs and hashbrowns, it could very well have been the eggs considering they tested chicken eggs and found they had traces of malamine in them due to what they were feeding the chickens with. So really it isn't exactly something to joke about.
If your kid died from malamine filled milk powder I'm sure you'd be jumping up and down pointing the finger (then again we all die from something right? So who cares what they put in our food, drinks, and other items of daily use)

So again back on topic. Energy drinks. Yes. I'm sure you would also jump up and down and point your finger if it was your child, brother, or sister or some other family member or friend who died from energy drink consumption. If there was even the slightest possibility that some ingredient in said drink could have caused the death of someone you knew you would want to know.

As you were.

Yeah but everybody knows if you knock back a shitload of caffeine you drop dead.