PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in gear?

Anarkist
27th January 2009, 17:20
Hey all.

I dropped my Honda VTR250Y around 2 weeks ago after being cut off at a roundabout and it landed on it's side. One of the things it landed on amongst others was the gear lever. The lever was bent a little however I managed to bend it back out once I got the bike home. I took it for a test ride and everything felt fine, transmission included.

Fast forward a week and I noticed the first issue. The bike stuck in gear, between 3 & 2 when coming to a stop at the lights. After tapping it down a couple of times there was no resistance in the up or downward motion. This was fixed by slowly letting the clutch grab, and pushing down on the gear lever a couple of times.

The bike rode fine after this, daily for the next week or so and I had some suspicion it may have been to do with the drop but (perhaps stupidly) thought nothing of it.

Today on my return home from work, I was on the motorway. I changed in to third and tried to shift up. Again, no resistance. Letting out the clutch slightly let me change up to fourth. However couldn't shift to fifth, as the lever wouldn't move up. It was stuck dead. Pushing downward had no resistance.

After limping the bike home stuck in fourth having a look at it when the motor is off there is no resistance (e.g. feeling the lever is doing anything) in either the upward or the downward motion. I have been able to get the bike into neutral by rocking back and forth with the engine off and the clutch out while trying to shift at the same time.

Now, before anything else is said I am going to take it to the shop when they next have an available booking as I'm not terribly mechanically minded and am obviously not going to ride it anywhere.

That said, before I do take it there and potentially need to spend money is there anything basic I can do as a check before hand?

Any assistance much appreciated.

Rodney007
27th January 2009, 17:24
check the clutch cable, may not be moving enough

failing that learn how to shift without your clutch leaver, up and down
and try rolling the bike when its off to change down gears, ,

Anarkist
27th January 2009, 17:29
To clarify the clutch engages/disengages fine. It's just shifting that's the issue.

Anarkist
27th January 2009, 17:46
I don't know if these will help, but I've attached the gear/transmission diagrams from the repair manual.

During a drop does anyone know what's likely to break should there be enough of a shock applied to the gear lever itself?

See attached.

Max Preload
28th January 2009, 14:26
The fact you can get it to change by j-j-jiggling it, Granville suggests nothing major.

Is the gear lever just a one piece arm from the splined shaft (item #19 on the 'gearshift drum' PDF) that enters the engine casing or a linkage system?

When you say 'no resistance' I assume the spring return still operates and returns the lever to it's normal position but there's no 'clunk' when you try to select a gear - it's smooth to the point at which it stops?

Anarkist
28th January 2009, 14:49
When you say 'no resistance' I assume the spring return still operates and returns the lever to it's normal position but there's no 'clunk' when you try to select a gear - it's smooth to the point at which it stops?

Yeah, correct. The lever moves and will spring back but it doesn't feel like it's connected to anything when doing so.

This morning before work I quickly started the bike. With the clutch pulled in, pressing the gear lever all the way down to select first will cause the gears to grab. I can hear a 'tck tck tck' sort of sound.

I didn't try shift up in to second to see if that was any difference though. (I don't like the thought of potentially breaking something :laugh:)

On a slight tangent Max, how are you and the bike doing after the off on the Northland loop? (That was me first on scene on the Red VTR btw)

MSTRS
28th January 2009, 14:53
One suspects that there is an issue with the selector. This is on the other end of the shaft that the foot lever is on, and is (usually?) behind the clutch basket.
YTs EL250 got a wee thump on the gear lever and it popped the selector out of whack. A simple job to correct (if one is mechanically minded...otherwise leave it the f...alone) but then again, that was on a Kawasaki. Your's is an 'onda and they're 'orrible. Apparently.

Max Preload
28th January 2009, 15:23
Yeah, correct. The lever moves and will spring back but it doesn't feel like it's connected to anything when doing so.

This morning before work I quickly started the bike. With the clutch pulled in, pressing the gear lever all the way down to select first will cause the gears to grab. I can hear a 'tck tck tck' sort of sound.

I didn't try shift up in to second to see if that was any difference though. (I don't like the thought of potentially breaking something :laugh:)

Is the clutch cable or hydraulic? How's the freeplay? I know the problem came on suddenly, but so do frayed clutch cables. You don't get the same gear shifter action with the engine off as you do with it running either - some bikes can be right bastards to shift gear without the engine running.

On a slight tangent Max, how are you and the bike doing after the off on the Northland loop? (That was me first on scene on the Red VTR btw)

My right arm is still in a cast (3rd one) for another 4 weeks - had a fracture at the wrist, but the left shoulder is still giving me grief - I landed on that first before tumbling and if it's loaded the wrong way the deltoid reminds me of that fact. Grazing has pretty much all healed now.

Anarkist
28th January 2009, 16:08
Is the clutch cable or hydraulic? How's the freeplay? I know the problem came on suddenly, but so do frayed clutch cables. You don't get the same gear shifter action with the engine off as you do with it running either - some bikes can be right bastards to shift gear without the engine running.

It's a cable clutch. Freeplay from memory is probably a little on the excessive side and may warrant a bit of tightening. Good point it may be a frayed cable. I will double check that.

Do you think the clutch would have anything to do with the gear issue though?

I guess the bike shop will tell me tomorrow. Fingers crossed it ain't too expensive!

Max Preload
28th January 2009, 16:31
It's a cable clutch. Freeplay from memory is probably a little on the excessive side and may warrant a bit of tightening. Good point it may be a frayed cable. I will double check that.

Do you think the clutch would have anything to do with the gear issue though?

Probably not but you never know your luck. Excess lever freeplay will certainly affect shifting and selection because the drive dogs will always be carrying drag through the clutch not being fully disengaged. That can be for a number of reasons - stretched or frayed cable, bent lever, mis-adjustment. But to happen so suddenly it could only really be a frayed cable and may just be a coincidence with the bin, not a result of it. Either way best to start with the basics.

I guess the bike shop will tell me tomorrow. Fingers crossed it ain't too expensive!

Not too expensive - it is a bike isn't it? Just be thankful it's not a boat...

Max Preload
28th January 2009, 16:32
Actually, how well does it shift clutchless?

Anarkist
28th January 2009, 18:02
Actually, how well does it shift clutchless?

Only tried a couple of times on the way up, she's always been fine.
Never tried clutchless downshifting. Too much mechanical sympathy :innocent:

Squiggles
6th February 2009, 18:58
Any update?