PDA

View Full Version : PW80 transmission oil

mfordy
30th January 2009, 14:22
Changed the transmission oil in my boys '07 PW with Yamalube 10w40 All Purpose Oil (As recomended by my local Yamaha Dealer). 3 Hours later, the clutch is completely stuffed :shit:- coincidence?....
What oil are other PW80 owners using?. Is an All Purpose Oil man enough for the job?
Thanks

Conquiztador
4th February 2009, 22:59
Changed the transmission oil in my boys '07 PW with Yamalube 10w40 All Purpose Oil (As recomended by my local Yamaha Dealer). 3 Hours later, the clutch is completely stuffed :shit:- coincidence?....
What oil are other PW80 owners using?. Is an All Purpose Oil man enough for the job?
Thanks

When you say "completely stuffed" I take that it is slipping badly? I am not familiar with this bike. Does it have a centrifugal clutch or a "standard" clutch with plates?

I have lost count on how many bikes with "stuffed clutch" I have fixed by changing the oil to one that is made for a wet clutch. Use car motor oil and you will inside 5 minutes have a slipping clutch.

mfordy
5th February 2009, 08:19
PW80's use a centrifugal clutch (3 Speed semi-auto).
All the friction plates are completely worn out and blackened indicating plently of slip.
Bike back from shop now with new clutch and refilled with the same dealer recommended All Purpose Oil.
Mechanic reckoned previous owner must have left in third gear all the time to have worn out so quickly.
Plenty of riding planned over the next couple of weeks so I'll be watching/listening for anymore issues - can't afford another clutch as repair about 30% of the bikes value!..
Thanks