PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle club fined

klingon
2nd February 2009, 12:03
An unusual case of Sunday trading affecting many sports bodies came before Mr S. L. Paterson, SM, in Hamilton yesterday, when the Hamilton Motor-Cycle Club (Inc.) (Mr N. I. Smith), admitted a charge of keeping open for transacting business on a Sunday.

Sub-inspector W. G. Bennett said that on Sunday, November 12, the club conducted a sports meeting at its stadium at Whatawhata and collected an entrance fee at the gates and sold programmes.

Mr Smith said the object of the club was to promote road safety and in 12 years none of its members had been prosecuted for speeding or had been involved in a collision. The club was not conducting for private gain, the proceeds going to the provision of trophies. The officers were associated with the Road Safety Council, and the club worked in co-operation with that body.

A fine of £5 was imposed.

- NZ Herald, 15 December 1950

By the way, where do I find a 'pounds' symbol? I seem to have run out.

nodrog
2nd February 2009, 12:19
"Great Scott!" (http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/070503/scifigallery/backfuture_l.jpg)

jrandom
2nd February 2009, 12:21
By the way, where do I find a 'pounds' symbol?

No idea, but why don't you just cut-and-paste '£' until you do.

skidMark
2nd February 2009, 12:23
Hang on, why are we reading articles from 1950? :Pokey:

klingon
2nd February 2009, 12:29
Hang on, why are we reading articles from 1950? :Pokey:

Because they are about as up-to-date and relevant as everything else posted on this site. :rolleyes:

I thought it was interesting that none of the club's members had an accident or a ticket in 12 years. I wonder how many members there were.

And I also wonder what happened to Mr Smith and the Hamilton Motor-Cycle Club (Inc.). And when did we stop using the hyphen in motor-cycle?

skidMark
2nd February 2009, 12:31
Because they are about as up-to-date and relevant as everything else posted on this site. :rolleyes:

I thought it was interesting that none of the club's members had an accident or a ticket in 12 years. I wonder how many members there were.

And I also wonder what happened to Mr Smith and the Hamilton Motor-Cycle Club (Inc.). And when did we stop using the hyphen in motor-cycle?

Yeah well back then the bikes were slow, and people were raised right...

Possible the hyphon got removed when bikes became reliable enough that you wern't constantly yanking the motor... lol

riffer
2nd February 2009, 12:39

He's not that bloody helpful. I'll assume you have a Windows XP box cause most people seem to.

Click on the "START" button and select "Run"

Type in charmap. This gives you the character map, which shows all the characters available in all the typefaces on your PC. Macs have a similar utility called KeyCaps and Linux boxes have about 137,000 different utilities which I won't go into right now.

Click on the character you want, click on the select button, then click on the Copy button. Paste into your thread message box in the appropriate place. Works anywhere you can use copy and paste.

MIXONE
2nd February 2009, 12:47

The Hamilton Motorcycle Club is still running and has it's own premises right beside Rugby Park which is real helpfull on the night of big games because it's free bike parking.I think they are the oldest club in NZ and still have a strong membership and run many events.
Probably their most famous current member would be Jared Love although Hugh Anderson is a life member as are other big names from the past.

nodrog
2nd February 2009, 12:48
or just hold Alt and type 0163

TerminalAddict
2nd February 2009, 13:25

clever dicky ain't you? ;)

Ixion
2nd February 2009, 13:32
It was rather difficult to collect a speeding summons (no tickets back then, they hadn't been invented) back in those days.

No radar for one thing, never saw a snake on the open road, and most bikes could easily outrun a snakemobile anyway (snakemocycle was another matter).

But also, the snakes was pretty reasonable, and didn't want all the hassle of issuing a summons unless it was serious. Don't frighten the horses, keep it down around old women and children, and it was all good.

skidMark
2nd February 2009, 13:34
clever dicky ain't you? ;)

that didnt work for me though lol

Oscar
2nd February 2009, 13:40
The Hamilton Motorcycle Club is still running and has it's own premises right beside Rugby Park which is real helpfull on the night of big games because it's free bike parking.I think they are the oldest club in NZ and still have a strong membership and run many events.
Probably their most famous current member would be Jared Love although Hugh Anderson is a life member as are other big names from the past.

Including Laurie Love, Mike Webb and Simon Crafar...

Ixion
2nd February 2009, 13:41
t needs to be the 0163 on the keypad to the right of the keyboard not the numbers across the top. The numbers at the top are not the same as the numbers on the right. Use the OTHER 0163.

nodrog
2nd February 2009, 13:42
that didnt work for me though lol

thats because it says "Alt 0163" not "banana" you dyslexic

Oscar
2nd February 2009, 15:38
An unusual case of Sunday trading affecting many sports bodies came before Mr S. L. Paterson, SM, in Hamilton yesterday, when the Hamilton Motor-Cycle Club (Inc.) (Mr N. I. Smith), admitted a charge of keeping open for transacting business on a Sunday.

Sub-inspector W. G. Bennett said that on Sunday, November 12, the club conducted a sports meeting at its stadium at Whatawhata and collected an entrance fee at the gates and sold programmes.

Mr Smith said the object of the club was to promote road safety and in 12 years none of its members had been prosecuted for speeding or had been involved in a collision. The club was not conducting for private gain, the proceeds going to the provision of trophies. The officers were associated with the Road Safety Council, and the club worked in co-operation with that body.

A fine of £5 was imposed.

- NZ Herald, 15 December 1950

This is really interesting as the HMCC has a 90th Anniversary coming up shortly. I was on the committee for the 75th and did a bit of research, but missed our criminal past...:devil2:

klingon
2nd February 2009, 16:05
This is really interesting as the HMCC has a 90th Anniversary coming up shortly. I was on the committee for the 75th and did a bit of research, but missed our criminal past...:devil2:

Oooh that is interesting! I hope you pass this article on to the club, Oscar. Unfortunately I don't have the original newspaper. My source is this book:
Good Morning New Zealand: News stories of the day from the 1950s
Editor Gil Dymock
Published in 1990 by Moa Publications Ltd.

I'm pleased to see the Hamilton Motor-Cycle Club (Inc.) is still going strong. And I hope they have stopped their naughty Sunday trading. :oi-grr:

Oscar
2nd February 2009, 16:21
Oooh that is interesting! I hope you pass this article on to the club, Oscar. Unfortunately I don't have the original newspaper. My source is this book:
Good Morning New Zealand: News stories of the day from the 1950s
Editor Gil Dymock
Published in 1990 by Moa Publications Ltd.

I'm pleased to see the Hamilton Motor-Cycle Club (Inc.) is still going strong. And I hope they have stopped their naughty Sunday trading. :oi-grr:

I've a copy of the original Certificate, it's the Hamilton Motor Cycle Club.
Two words, no hyphen...

The club was formed in 1919 or 1920 after a meeting at the top of the Kaimai Road (a real adventure back then), and incorporated in 1922.

When I joined in 1977 it was (and continued to be for some time), the largest club in NZ by both the number of members and event permits issued.

Those were the days......goes to sleep in bath chair and wheeled away by nurse, drool running down his chin, muttering "I coulda been a contender" in his sleep...

klingon
2nd February 2009, 16:59
I've a copy of the original Certificate, it's the Hamilton Motor Cycle Club.
Two words, no hyphen...

Well how about that! I'm going to send a letter to the editor of the Herald and let them know their reporter got the name wrong. Expect to see it in the "corrections and clarifications" column any day now.

It seems a bit mean to fine a club for charging for programmes at the gate when they were only covering their costs for the event. I think the Hamilton Motor Cycle Club (Inc.) should appeal the decision and ask for their £5 back. :2thumbsup

Oscar
2nd February 2009, 17:05
Well how about that! I'm going to send a letter to the editor of the Herald and let them know their reporter got the name wrong. Expect to see it in the "corrections and clarifications" column any day now.

It seems a bit mean to fine a club for charging for programmes at the gate when they were only covering their costs for the event. I think the Hamilton Motor Cycle Club (Inc.) should appeal the decision and ask for their £5 back. :2thumbsup

£5 was a lot of money back then - roughly the average weekly wage.

NordieBoy
2nd February 2009, 17:35
I think they are the oldest club in NZ and still have a strong membership and run many events.

Incorporated in 1920.

Pish I say. Just a newcomer.

The Nelson Motorcycle Club just held its centenary.

Sully60
2nd February 2009, 17:40
lexicdys tstha banaan ayss causebe it Alt 0163 uyo nto

Eh?

10char

Oscar
2nd February 2009, 18:30
Incorporated in 1920.

Pish I say. Just a newcomer.

The Nelson Motorcycle Club just held its centenary.

So you wanna compare, eh?

How many World Champs you got?

P38
2nd February 2009, 19:08

It's just as easy to write the £ sign on your screen every time you want to use it. :yes::yes::yes:

A Black Fine Pointed Permanent Marker is best for this job. You also need a steady hand to get it looking nice. :msn-wink:

NordieBoy
2nd February 2009, 20:06
So you wanna compare, eh?

How many World Champs you got?

None!

But Josh Coppins will be there soon!

klingon
2nd February 2009, 20:13
It's just as easy to write the £ sign on your screen every time you want to use it. :yes::yes::yes:

A Black Fine Pointed Permanent Marker is best for this job. You also need a steady hand to get it looking nice. :msn-wink:

I'm not actually as blonde as my avatar would like you to believe. :bleh: Anyway I've got a loan from JRandom now - will save the permanent marker for paying him back.

Bob
2nd February 2009, 23:06

I am rather hurt by that comment...:weep:

(I wish I could get away with finding 59 year old news items... imagine how easy my job would be!)

klingon
3rd February 2009, 07:23

(I wish I could get away with finding 59 year old news items... imagine how easy my job would be!)

Oh no! I didn't mean it like that! The News section is the exception - the news is very relevant and interesting. I was referring to the rest of the nonsense spouted elsewhere on the forums.

Here, have a hug. :hug:

NordieBoy
3rd February 2009, 08:57

If they're good ones then it'd be quite cool methinks :headbang:

P38
3rd February 2009, 19:19
I'm not actually as blonde as my avatar would like you to believe. :bleh: Anyway I've got a loan from JRandom now - will save the permanent marker for paying him back.

LOL

Was worth a try.

Glad you worked it out.

FzerozeroT
22nd February 2009, 13:52
We in Hamilton are quite aware that those in Nelson hold the honour of being the oldest incorporated motorcycle club in New Zealand :niceone:

The hyphen in motor-cycle was added somewhere along the line and features in the club emblem (the four foot wide painted one in the hall ;) ) and is the currently registered name of the club, quite nice to get a complete copy of the first set of rules, the companies office only has two pages on file.

We have another ten years before our centennary and are hoping to have a lot of old news articles digitised before then, we have been locating articles for a few years but it will need many many hours of work to capture them all..

dipshit
22nd February 2009, 14:15

Alt 156 does it as well. (on the num pad)

NordieBoy
22nd February 2009, 16:04
We have another ten years before our centennary and are hoping to have a lot of old news articles digitised before then, we have been locating articles for a few years but it will need many many hours of work to capture them all..

A word of advice for the centenary.
Start preparing now :D

pritch
25th February 2009, 15:20
It was rather difficult to collect a speeding summons (no tickets back then, they hadn't been invented) back in those days.

No radar for one thing, never saw a snake on the open road, and most bikes could easily outrun a snakemobile anyway (snakemocycle was another matter).

But also, the snakes was pretty reasonable, and didn't want all the hassle of issuing a summons unless it was serious. Don't frighten the horses, keep it down around old women and children, and it was all good.

Shit oh dear, you must be really old or have lived in a lovely quaint place.:whistle:

It wasn't like that round here in the 60s. My AJS 350 would have likely had difficulty in losing a Zephyr, or whatever they were using then. I made a number of court appearances before getting a bit smarter. (Well, a little bit?)

The cops had to ride a bike for a year or three until they got to drive a car in the day time. Some had no idea how to ride a bike when they started, and it was all too readily apparent...

Ixion
25th February 2009, 15:33
Well, yes. An AJS 350. Unless it was a 7R. Ford Zephyr Mk1 , top speed (on a good day) 80mph, 0-60 in 20 seconds .

Skyryder
6th March 2009, 10:00

Try wingdings in fonts. If ya serious. :first:

If not Chuches have fonts. Look for a 'dingwinged angel. Most likely a fallen one.:devil2:

Skyryder