PDA

View Full Version : Suspect thermostat

howdamnhard
3rd February 2009, 00:05
I suspect my thermostat is stuck open.:crazy:Timed it today and the temperature guage took longer than 5 min (at idle speed,choke on) to even move. As I use it for commutting and work at odd hours ,and the choke creeps off,causing engine to cut ,it is preferable for the bike to warm up quickly.The service manual doesn't give a specific time just saying " quickly".
This is the first watercooled bike I have owned ,so not sure how long it should take to reach normal operating temp? could those who have watercooled bikes please let me know how long their bikes take to warm up,before I go pulling it apart for nothing.:2thumbsup
Thanks
P.S. I have a ZZR600.

MSTRS
3rd February 2009, 07:40
...5 mins at idle, choke on...
Prolly not bad. Once at operating temp, does it fluctuate much, or fairly steady?
Slow warm up, coupled with wildly varying running temp would suggest you are right (or no thermostat).

Max Preload
3rd February 2009, 09:18
Firstly, use the choke only for the initial start - don't use it as a substitute fast idle.

Secondly, how long does it take to warm up when ridden gently from cold and how long after achieving normal operating temperature does it stand, still running, before the fan comes on?

howdamnhard
4th February 2009, 11:14
No MSTRS the temp doesn't fluctuate wildly once warmed up,sounds like it might be okay,thanks for feedback.

howdamnhard
4th February 2009, 11:21
Firstly, use the choke only for the initial start - don't use it as a substitute fast idle.

Secondly, how long does it take to warm up when ridden gently from cold and how long after achieving normal operating temperature does it stand, still running, before the fan comes on?

I use the choke to keep it idling once started for a few minutes to warm it up before I ride off.If I don't the engine dies.Once warmed up I turn the choke off and then start riding.
If I ride off gently the temp seems to come normally(about 2-3 min). Fan comes on if I stop and its a hot day and I've been riding slowly.

The Pastor
4th February 2009, 12:07
Sounds like everything is working as it should mate.

MSTRS
4th February 2009, 12:17
I use the choke to keep it idling once started for a few minutes to warm it up before I ride off.If I don't the engine dies.Once warmed up I turn the choke off and then start riding.
If I ride off gently the temp seems to come normally(about 2-3 min). Fan comes on if I stop and its a hot day and I've been riding slowly.

So what was your problem again?

howdamnhard
4th February 2009, 21:52
So what was your problem again?

Well having never owned a watercooled bike before I wasn't sure how long it should take to warm up.My car warms up a lot faster.Just needed a comparison from other watercooled bike owners,thanks.Preferably somebody who has owned a ZZR600 before.

MSTRS
5th February 2009, 08:10
Hmmmm. Bikes, just like cars, are all different. Depends on the state of tune, number of cylinders, size of radiator, etc. Even a comparison between ZZR600s would not necessarily come out the same.
However, your description of your bike suggests nothing wrong. So relax.

Max Preload
5th February 2009, 09:24

Use the choke less. Once it's started, use the throttle to hold the engine speed to about 1100rpm while you flick the choke off. Then gently decrease the throttle until it is at unassisted idle. If it doesn't run like that, chances are your idle is a bit low.

Other than that it's all very normal. If you've just acquired the bike or have not changed the coolant in the past 2 years do it now. It's a cheap insurance policy.

howdamnhard
5th February 2009, 17:07
Thanks,good to know all is well. Coolant is new .