PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclist dies in Hutt Valley (5 February)

<Rhino>
5th February 2009, 14:16
Not much to read here at the momemnt, looks like its still unfolding...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4838941a11.html

I ride this road every day to and from work, hate reading this sort of stuff. :no:

riffer
5th February 2009, 14:52
Road was opened at 1500 Dan. Not good news. Like you, I'm on there every day.

What was with SH58 yesterday round Paremata Rd. I came through there about 1630 and there was dispersant sprayed over the whole road. Slippery as too. There must have been some crap spilled - maybe in the head-on on the road yesterday.

Hard to believe someone came a cropper on Haywards though - unless they hit the cheesecutters that they've put all the way along that road now.

I'm leaving in 5 minutes - I'll report on the accident site later tonight.

<Rhino>
5th February 2009, 15:20
Fuck I'm glad its not you Riffer, apperently happened on the hutt side, not sure ecaxtly where either.

Yeah I saw that shit all on the orad yeasterday too, wasworse when it got wet. In the morning it looked like stuff from sandblasting the yellow lines but they didn't look like they were sandblasted! FIIK

Nasty
5th February 2009, 16:04
Lower Hutt Police are seeking witnesses to a fatal crash involving a motorcyclist and a utility vehicle on the Hutt Valley side of Haywards Hill Road, SH 58, this morning.

Detective Sergeant Steve Harwood, Lower Hutt CIB, said the crash happened near the Mt Cecil Road intersection about 10.30am. Both vehicles were in the westbound lane heading towards Porirua.

The motorcyclist died on the way to hospital. His name is not available for release until after next of kin are advised.

State Highway 58 was closed for a time while the police serious crash investigation unit examined the scene.

People who witnessed the crash and who have yet to speak with police are asked to contact the CIB duty squad at Lower Hutt Police Station, telephone 04 560 2600.

That is what the police need.

sunhuntin
5th February 2009, 16:34
i can easily see a newbie rider come a cropper on that road. ive only done it once and very nearly ended up the drink at least once due to being tail gated. ill never travel it again except as a passenger in a car.

RIP rider.

MSTRS
5th February 2009, 16:39
SH, the accident site was miles from the inlet. Fairly near the big power substation. 2up/1down with a cheesecutter between.

skidMark
5th February 2009, 16:45
SH, the accident site was miles from the inlet. Fairly near the big power substation. 2up/1down with a cheesecutter between.

Oh great...hope he didnt hit the bloodey cheesecutters...

not a nice way to go.

Madness
5th February 2009, 16:52
The Cheesecutters stop well before Mt Cecil Road from memory. All too often you see people overtaking in the east-bound uphill passing lane, beyond the end of the passing lane itself, right where Mt Cecil Road comes out.

crazybigal
5th February 2009, 17:01
i was driving the other way, came upto the scene just after it happened.
:( was at the end of the passing lane from mem and the cheesecutter had nothing to do with it.
rider was on the ground with people around not far from the scene.
Bike was stuck to the side of what looked to be a ute. front wheel in the air.
Not a nice thing to see, lots of people there so i kept going not wanting to rubber neck or hold up the lane.
R.I.P rider

sunhuntin
5th February 2009, 17:33

ok. i dont mind that part, lol. just wish the inlet road wasnt so bloody narrow, had more pull over bays and didnt allow cyclists.

<Rhino>
5th February 2009, 17:53
I had a look on my way home tonight, and saw the paint marks and absorbent grit on the road right at the very end of the cheescutter! not sure if that was involved at all or not, wouldn't discount other statements but if thats where the vehicles stoped the accident would have happened within the cheescutters. Its no where near mt Celcil road its at the very top of the hill where two lanes merge into one over a sweeping right hand crown and into a left hand blind corner. The road is quite wide as the lanes merge right at the end of the cheescutters but narrows very quickly into the lefty bend. you could easily find yourself running out of room if you both hit it at the same time.

Hope no one else come glideing up the hill to hit the absorbent grit!!

merv
5th February 2009, 17:53
So if its near the cheesecutters then true it is nothing to do with Mt Cecil Road.

Manxman
5th February 2009, 18:34
I thought Crazybigal had outlined where it happened (Post #10), and established that it was nowhere near the cheesecutters...

I'm not into speculating online, but will be interested to know how it happened in the course of time, as I ride that road daily also. Learning how things happen is part of preventing future repetition.

Thoughts are with family of the rider.

mashman
5th February 2009, 18:35
Not another one... RIP... The road surface is inconsistent in places there... coulda been a case of too much speed and the wrong bit of tarmac... but odd that the 2 vehicles came to rest against each other, unless the ute was pulling out and didn't see the bike!!!

MSTRS
5th February 2009, 18:37
Riffer says it was right here...

Hitcher
5th February 2009, 19:21
Can we go easy with the ghoulish speculation, perhaps?

Jerry74
5th February 2009, 21:13
Poor bugger.. my condolences to the family

BALZYBUELL
5th February 2009, 21:26
was told by sciu today that the ute did a u turn in front of rider,thoughts to family and friends

crazybigal
6th February 2009, 11:30
glad your mate is ok, sorry i could not help you more.

Yup I did ask him - he told me a little that might've confirmed not my mate but wasn't really confident that I should count on it as there were so many people all over the place.

EDIT: Friend located alive and well this morning. Arse kicking will commence later :sweatdrop: RIP and condolences to the family/friends involved. Take care out there people the silly season is still on. AND Answer your texts when you are travelling about - saves a whole lot of worry when threads like this appear.

aer0
6th February 2009, 11:51
im yet another one that travels this road everyday to work, infact i probably see some of your guys some days.

anyways im off work at the moment and went for a little blat yesterday afternoon, was riding past this and saw the ute being loaded onto the back of a truck with lots of police around.
its a shame to see things like this :(

RIP to the rider and hugs to all their family and firends

Insanity_rules
9th February 2009, 13:29
RIP rider, was especially hoping it it wasn't one of us.