PDA

View Full Version : What's to know?

imdying
9th February 2009, 08:41
Turns out investigating mini motos in NZ is a bit of a mission through various dead links and odd websites.

A mate has suggested we get a couple of bikes from trademe, and take em for a bash through industrial areas, although I did see on the supakarts site that they have the track open for bikes on a Monday night. Sounds like a plan I so I thought...

But, a few unanswered questions...

- Is there anywhere in NZ that specializes in them (i.e. somewhere other than trademe to buy them)
- Any of the trademe sellers that are preferred, or any to avoid?
- Any particular bikes to avoid? (assuming we've accepted they're cheap junk already) Any to look for?
- Supakarts still open to bikes on a Monday night?
- Anywhere else in Christchurch to ride/race them?
- Any others FAQs?

DELLORTO
9th February 2009, 15:16
as far as i know there is a big group of people racing at supakarts.......unless you buy a polini or other italian bikes there is some techincal knowledge needed to get chinese bike reliable.... check www.nzmmrc.co.nz there is some bikes for sale on there that are good. thanks

Z1_ZPF_BOY
9th February 2009, 15:27
the best place to buy Minimoto's is from Greg in Wellington, www.xminimoto.co.nz, and he has all the parts for the bikes.

DELLORTO
9th February 2009, 15:55
the best place to buy Minimoto's is from Greg in Wellington, www.xminimoto.co.nz, and he has all the parts for the bikes.

accept his cheapest bike is $600........:crazy:

Z1_ZPF_BOY
9th February 2009, 16:50
If you go through Greg you know that your buying Quality, and if anything does go wrong he's more than willing to help.:first:

DELLORTO
9th February 2009, 16:56
even though he sells the best chinese bikes around there still not good quality i think greg knows that and he trys his best to make them as reliable as possible....but still their chinese and all chinese motor bikes are trouble unless you have the technical knowlege to work on them......

i dont think quality is the right word to use i think more like "good value for money is a better"

Z1_ZPF_BOY
9th February 2009, 17:02
fair enough... the best chinese bike out there is arguably the ZPF Rep, and Gregs Price on them is Rather reasonable. So i guess you could call them (as you say) "Good value for money". LOL :2thumbsup

DELLORTO
9th February 2009, 17:05
fair enough... the best chinese bike out there is arguably the ZPF Rep, and Gregs Price on them is Rather reasonable. So i guess you could call them (as you say) "Good value for money". LOL :2thumbsup

most people know the best chinese replica is the DM rep.....bretts bringing them in, im sort of out of the sport now but if i was still hard out racing id buy one.......im going to try keep my points up...gotta have that trophy...

Z1_ZPF_BOY
9th February 2009, 18:31
when you say"keep your points up" do you mean in Daytona or Open??

DELLORTO
9th February 2009, 18:34
open......:banana: trying to figure out a ride at the moment......:whistle:

Z1_ZPF_BOY
9th February 2009, 19:49
i thought you wernt going to run Taumarunui

DELLORTO
9th February 2009, 20:17
i thought you wernt going to run Taumarunui

only the reverse track weekend.......maybe more depending if blayes is racing i still dont know yet......

imdying
10th February 2009, 09:11
Ok, so buy a cheap one, but be prepared to tinker, and be uncompetitve.

That's cool, I like to tinker, and I don't need another all consuming hobby, we just want to have some fun.

What are the key things to note to ensure some sort of reliability out of these $300 wonders?

motorbyclist
10th February 2009, 11:45
out of my $200 wonder: every one of these are different so hopefully you get a quick one

replace the fuel line and filter. i ditched the filter entirely once the tank stopped flaking apart (at the mould seams)
get lots of spare pullstart chord
keep the tank as full as possible
expect leaks
make a sacrifice to the biker gods

and tighten EVERY bolt, including those holding the motor together. it also helps to replace those that you can to ensure they are in fact high tensile

imdying
10th February 2009, 13:24
Oh sweet, so just the regular biker bullshit then :D

No worries, blat round the carpark one night (or earlier if it breaks) to run it in, then strip and prep it with some Loctite etc :yes:

motorbyclist
10th February 2009, 14:47
Oh sweet, so just the regular biker bullshit then :D

No worries, blat round the carpark one night (or earlier if it breaks) to run it in, then strip and prep it with some Loctite etc :yes:

tighten bolts first

i shit you not i assumed the motor would be tightened up, and sure enough i had to pick up a rather battered looking carby that i left behind me

and the crank case wasn't even tightened together

then fix the rest as you go:2thumbsup

imdying
10th February 2009, 14:55
Fook me :eek: Duly noted! :yes:

Z1_ZPF_BOY
10th February 2009, 15:19
also, clean out the Carburetor regularly, carbs seem to be the main problem on the $200-$300 bikes, i wouldn't recommend using Castrol R because if you leave it to sit in the lines for a week or two it clogs the carburetor. :2thumbsup

footprintracing
10th February 2009, 19:11
Believe me imdying, ya buy one of these to just have fun, and its like a weed, just grows and grows on you:2thumbsup!! Less than 6mths after starting, we have brought two and a trailer to cart them round in, now looking to increase power/speed/reliability of them!! This sport is addictive!! :banana:

Z1_ZPF_BOY
10th February 2009, 19:28
Dahm right :2thumbsup Minimoto racing gets more addictive the more you ride them. i brought a $200 Daytona for some fun on the driveway, and now i race them, and spend lots of money on bikes, gear etc.

orange
10th February 2009, 21:40
who said the dm reps are the best?
you probably don't want to talk about things you have no idea about.
DM rep motor mount need to be cutoff and rewelded on in right place so chain doesn't fall off and smack you in the back of your head. motors are only good for rubbish bin, frames are no welded probably so they crack!!! front hubs crack as they are machine to thin for china alloy to handle, front triple clamps are to large for 25mm fork so they will slide down even when tight as. IT works out cheaper to buy the real thing or leave it parked in your garage.

motorbyclist
11th February 2009, 02:46
duly noted, but, a $200 air cooled machine will do just fine for mucking around on and you don't have to spend any money on them - the standard class implies you shouldn't - and if the kids/wife don't like the new toy? well you'll be glad you only spent 200 bucks on it! then if the kids are keen you can looks at spending mega bucks on a rocket

it does kind of strike me as silly seeing a lot of you guys spending so much money money on your pocket rockets that you may as well be running a mint fxr in buckets or possibly even run in F3

i'm gutted i have to spend all of $35 on a new tyre:rolleyes:

imdying
11th February 2009, 08:16
Thanks for the advice chaps.

DIN PELENDA, whoever you are, some little tosser apparently; when mum is wiping your arse, ask her how many g's are in the word nigger :rolleyes:

DELLORTO
11th February 2009, 15:34
who said the dm reps are the best?
you probably don't want to talk about things you have no idea about.
DM rep motor mount need to be cutoff and rewelded on in right place so chain doesn't fall off and smack you in the back of your head. motors are only good for rubbish bin, frames are no welded probably so they crack!!! front hubs crack as they are machine to thin for china alloy to handle, front triple clamps are to large for 25mm fork so they will slide down even when tight as. IT works out cheaper to buy the real thing or leave it parked in your garage.

carm down...............we all know you have one........thats just my opinion

imdying
11th February 2009, 17:30
A 'sample' bike will be here by the end of the week... if it doesn't explode, I guess we'll get a couple more :D

DELLORTO
11th February 2009, 17:40
A 'sample' bike will be here by the end of the week... if it doesn't explode, I guess we'll get a couple more :D

my bike almost expoled and im not joking......

orange
11th February 2009, 20:06
thought u had sold it dellorto?
or what?

DELLORTO
11th February 2009, 20:27
thought u had sold it dellorto?
or what?

i got one bike left.......a might daytona 1......:laugh::laugh::laugh

imdying
12th February 2009, 17:12
tighten bolts first

i shit you not i assumed the motor would be tightened up, and sure enough i had to pick up a rather battered looking carby that i left behind me

and the crank case wasn't even tightened together

then fix the rest as you go:2thumbsup

Fook me days... you weren't wrong mate :gob:

imdying
12th February 2009, 17:41
Well, that's the first time I moved an engine to fix the alignment of the chain run :o

imdying
13th February 2009, 08:17
Well that was a blast... had to bail from the feds, might have to move operations tonight :shifty:

imdying
13th February 2009, 13:33
Oh, and what tyre pressures should we be running... using about 30 at the moment... just kept adding it till it started becoming easier to steer :lol: Figured that the only suspension we have is in the side wall, so didn't want to over inflate them.

motorbyclist
13th February 2009, 20:55
Fook me days... you weren't wrong mate :gob:

told ya!

Oh, and what tyre pressures should we be running... using about 30 at the moment... just kept adding it till it started becoming easier to steer :lol: Figured that the only suspension we have is in the side wall, so didn't want to over inflate them.

i ran 30 and found they handled quite nicely, but promptly wore the tyre through and blew the tube

since then i've been told to run 20

imdying
14th February 2009, 08:34
Well, we did wear through the tyre, but not like that! Chain came off down the 'back straight' of a nice new subdivision, locked up the rear, skidded for 20 metres (I paced it out :D), which wore all the way through the tyre :eek:

We'd run it for about 45 minutes in total, so on the next one, we'll run it for 15 minutes, then recheck the chain tension :whistle: And I'm guessing with such a teeny tiny chain in a teeny tiny flexi frame, it's worth rechecking every 15 minutes of run time. Will scout around this morning, see if a tyre can be found locally.

A big suspect is the pathetic chain guard, it bends like cardboard, I do wonder if it ate the chain and essentially pushed it off the sprockets, although I'm still maintaining that frequent chain tension checks are probably a good idea. We'll layup a carbon fibre guard for it :D

Other than that, all good. Bitch to start if the idle isn't set high; might see if we can get a power drill on it :D

CookMySock
15th February 2009, 14:32
Bitch to start if the idle isn't set high; might see if we can get a power drill on it :DTry closing the spark plug gap just a tiny bit, especially if it runs fine cold, and quits completely when hot.

Steve

motorbyclist
15th February 2009, 15:28
Other than that, all good. Bitch to start if the idle isn't set high; might see if we can get a power drill on it :D

I tried that and sheared the head off the flywheel bolt. however, if you could adapt the pull starter latch/clutch mechanism to your power drill you might be onto it.

four slow pulls with full choke, then four quick pulls with no choke. works every time ;)

just keep the tank full of gas. they can give all sorts of trouble when the tank gets low

DELLORTO
16th February 2009, 19:42
Try closing the spark plug gap just a tiny bit, especially if it runs fine cold, and quits completely when hot.

Steve

coming from the man who runs 100:1...........:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

imdying
17th February 2009, 07:13
She's gapped to 25 thou, but it's really badly put together so the ignition system will get some love. For example, eyelet for ground, not actually attached to anything, just jammed between the plastic side cover and the block.

New tyre, new chain (DID!) and it still goes good :D

We'll replace the lead, cap, and plug, and rewire the ignition as well.

Been running at 27:1, will dilute down to 30:1 next time out.

Ray LeCheminant
17th February 2009, 18:13
She's gapped to 25 thou, but it's really badly put together so the ignition system will get some love. For example, eyelet for ground, not actually attached to anything, just jammed between the plastic side cover and the block.

New tyre, new chain (DID!) and it still goes good :D

We'll replace the lead, cap, and plug, and rewire the ignition as well.

Been running at 27:1, will dilute down to 30:1 next time out.

We have tried various fuel mixtures....and have now settled on about 30ml / 1Litre which works very well for us on the water cooled ZPF

But I think, like DangerousBastard will attest to, you can run from one extreme to another....:2guns:

imdying
18th February 2009, 10:23
Well, Phil says he's nearly worn the front tyre out, but the new slick on the back is holding out fine... apparently he has another couple of sets of slicks on the way, and that the starting issue is sorted, although we'll still rewire it tonight with a bit of luck. Hope he brought a new NGK for it, 2 strokes gotta have good plugs...

Apparently the other foot peg has also snapped off now, although that was a bin that caused that :D

Having had some short experience now, I think I'll hold off on getting another couple, save a bit more an get a couple of bikes from someone like xminimoto. Sure they're 3 times the price, but they appear to be better value for money (given how much money this $250 wonder has gobbled up, it's a now a $400 bike already).

Ray LeCheminant
18th February 2009, 15:18
"Sure they're 3 times the price, but they appear to be better value for money (given how much money this $250 wonder has gobbled up,"

....and you get superb backup and service from Grego!!!!

xtreme
18th February 2009, 19:00
Hi IMDYING

When you are ready to look at another bike give me a call. I will over the next few weeks have a Banshee and ZPF x demo's for sale . One has had a couple of tanks through it and the other wouldnt have had 1 tank through it.

Cheers Greg

www.xminimoto.co.nz

DELLORTO
18th February 2009, 19:06
"Sure they're 3 times the price, but they appear to be better value for money (given how much money this $250 wonder has gobbled up,"

....and you get superb backup and service from Grego!!!!

why don you get greg to get a genuine bike for ya.....hes importing them isnt he??......:woohoo: those blata 4.2's are like R.P.G's........:eek5:

Ray LeCheminant
18th February 2009, 19:21
why don you get greg to get a genuine bike for ya.....hes importing them isnt he??......:woohoo: those blata 4.2's are like R.P.G's........:eek5:

Once we are up to speed we will look at a Phantom with Greg.....now that's a bike!!!:rockon:

DELLORTO
18th February 2009, 19:37
connor will need more track time before he will be able to unlesh the full potentual of a bike that powerful..........the only reasen i didnt kill myself on my old polini becasue i ride 30HP mx bikes... and even then ive broke bones....those euro bikes with my weight on them are lethal......i used to be able to hit 60k/h in about 3 seconds on that thing........

Ray LeCheminant
18th February 2009, 19:58
connor will need more track time before he will be able to unlesh the full potentual of a bike that powerful..........the only reasen i didnt kill myself on my old polini becasue i ride 30HP mx bikes... and even then ive broke bones....those euro bikes with my weight on them are lethal......i used to be able to hit 60k/h in about 3 seconds on that thing........

As I said , once we are up to speed and Connor is comfortable. Like yourself, our end goal is bike racing at a higher level. But I am spending a lot of time, and I am committed to giving Connor the best opportunity , like my dad did for me , to compete....then again.....I will need 2 or 3 jobs to afford the Phantom :2thumbsup

DELLORTO
18th February 2009, 20:07
yer phantoms are expensive.......i thought you were sponsored though??

xtreme
18th February 2009, 20:30
Hi Max

At the level NZ mini moto is , who can afford to sponsor some one with a 10 grand minimoto.

I think reality is that not any of us will ever see a real one.

Cheers Greg

DELLORTO
18th February 2009, 20:37
Hi Max

At the level NZ mini moto is , who can afford to sponsor some one with a 10 grand minimoto.

I think reality is that not any of us will ever see a real one.

Cheers Greg

i guess your right......if i realy realy wanted one id save up all my life and eventusly buy one.....:yes: but id rather have somthing alittle less bitzy i prefer polini gp5's to any other bike out there

Ray LeCheminant
19th February 2009, 19:16
i guess your right......if i realy realy wanted one id save up all my life and eventusly buy one.....:yes: but id rather have somthing alittle less bitzy i prefer polini gp5's to any other bike out there

Max, I also want a Ferrari, and a tandom trailer (red of course) :banana: but I doubt it will ever happen.

Sponsorship comes in many forms, and in this instance, Greg's years of knowledge have been so valuable. Being able to hit the ground running pretty much straight away is priceless.

Anyway, glad you are sticking with Jnr Open....and I am sure Connor will enjoy following you, for a short while anyway...

Cheers

Ray

DELLORTO
19th February 2009, 19:36
i dont know if he'll be following me....he'll probualy be beside me......remebering ill only be running a 3.8HP air cooled gp3

orange
19th February 2009, 21:10
gp5 is make in DM factory(look at swingarm and frame)

Ray LeCheminant
19th February 2009, 21:22
gp5 is make in DM factory(look at swingarm and frame)

Did I miss something Orange - that came LEFT field :girlfight:

orange
19th February 2009, 21:42
dm made chassis and swingarm 4 polini.
dm telai is a department of a bigger company which make bike frames etc 4 ktm ducati

imdying
24th February 2009, 14:47
Hi IMDYING

When you are ready to look at another bike give me a call. I will over the next few weeks have a Banshee and ZPF x demo's for sale . One has had a couple of tanks through it and the other wouldnt have had 1 tank through it.

Cheers Greg

www.xminimoto.co.nz
This is your chance mate, make your advertising spiel :D

Why do I want a Banshee or a ZPF over something else? (feel free to start right form the basics, I know nothing about them :))

And out of the two, which one do you recommend to me? Or in general? :yes:

Z1_ZPF_BOY
24th February 2009, 15:19
GO ZPF!!!!!!!!!! :first: LOL

xtreme
24th February 2009, 20:45
Hi Imdying

Can you text the best number to get you on during the evening and i will give you a call.

My number - 027 332 0977

Thanks Greg

DELLORTO
24th February 2009, 20:56
This is your chance mate, make your advertising spiel :D

Why do I want a Banshee or a ZPF over something else? (feel free to start right form the basics, I know nothing about them :))

And out of the two, which one do you recommend to me? Or in general? :yes:

ive got a gp3 rep for sale.......not as fast as a zpf banshee ect but more reliable and less complicated and less expensive......up to you.....

Ray LeCheminant
24th February 2009, 21:02
ive got a gp3 rep for sale.......not as fast as a zpf banshee ect but more reliable and less complicated and less expensive......up to you.....

"not as fast as a zpf banshee" - i think that says it all really..........

:o)

xtreme
24th February 2009, 21:05
Mate !!

You cant even compare that bike to a Banshee of ZPF.
Nothing complicated about these , YOU just dont know about them.
Reliability ????????????

Cheers Greg

Ray LeCheminant
24th February 2009, 21:25
Mate !!

You cant even compare that bike to a Banshee of ZPF.
Nothing complicated about these , YOU just dont know about them.
Reliability ????????????

Cheers Greg

Agree Greg, the only issue with the ZPF is you have to ensure the gas tank is full before a race, but it would be unfair to blame the bike for the that!!..would you agree Greg!!!
:2thumbsup

In all seriousness, we are fairly new to minimoto, and have been more than happy with our ZPF, it's quick, reliable, parts are readily available (not that you need them) ...and the backup support is superb!
:banana:

imdying
27th February 2009, 09:00
Ok, went with the ZPF rep, thanks for your input guys.

imdying
27th February 2009, 09:03
ive got a gp3 rep for sale.......not as fast as a zpf banshee ect but more reliable and less complicated and less expensive......up to you.....Cheers for your input mate.

I'm not really that worried about money (although until we actually have somewhere to race, I'm not going to spend up large), and complicated isn't too much of an issue... at a guess, the worlds most complicated mini moto is probably considerably less complicated than my other bikes :laugh:

And, of course, speed matters :Punk:

Ray LeCheminant
27th February 2009, 11:10
Cheers for your input mate.

I'm not really that worried about money (although until we actually have somewhere to race, I'm not going to spend up large), and complicated isn't too much of an issue... at a guess, the worlds most complicated mini moto is probably considerably less complicated than my other bikes :laugh:

And, of course, speed matters :Punk:

Hi Malcom.....so I guess if speed matters :scooter:, you have yourself a ZPF all lined up!!!

All good!!! :wari:

Ray LeCheminant
27th February 2009, 11:13

Good man.....a wise choice.....

GO THE ZPF!!!!!:banana:

imdying
27th February 2009, 12:11
Heh, we'll see :D

Could you post some pics of your footpeg setup Ray?

Ray LeCheminant
27th February 2009, 13:39
Heh, we'll see :D

Could you post some pics of your footpeg setup Ray?

Sure will....easy to do.....

We will have to get some ZPF Owners Club shirts made up..... :headbang:

Ray LeCheminant
27th February 2009, 13:44

P.S I bought another ZPF yesterday also, so the Xtreme Team is growing.....bought it for my son to run the Auckland Mt Wellington rounds....at the sign writers as we speak...:soon:

imdying
27th February 2009, 14:15
Dude, you're an addict :p

We're off to the coast tonight, pick up this (presumably B2)... come mid week, it'll be on :D

Anybody seen a minimoto with a Britten replica bodywork set? Could be an interesting winter project...

BigAl
27th February 2009, 15:26
Britten already done by Richard Dickin a couple of years ago, see pict.

Looked very nice.

grantman
27th February 2009, 18:45
Thats really cool

whats next?

Bert Munro's Indian scout?

imdying
28th February 2009, 08:19
That is so cool! Takes the fun out of it if it's already been done though :laugh:

imdying
2nd March 2009, 13:34
Well, the B2 is a bit of fun. Gave it a clean and lube, chain looked a bit poked, but not the end of the world. Well, turns out, was a bit more serious than that. Felt a bit flat in the top end, like there was more to come. Back to the van after about 15 minutes run time, and the chain had actually started to seize the odd link. We'll fit a new chain, expecting it to go quite a bit better after that!

What's the procedure for plug chopping a mini moto? Full chat and then hold the kill button till you roll to a stop?

The plugs in the Daytona and B2 were both weird numbers... they ripped off everything but the part numbers. Quick trip to Repco, stole the NGK catalogue (the one with the part number breakdown) and found some replacements.

The screw on the side of the horrible little B2 carb, what's the supposed to do then? Mixture or idle adjustment? Appears to be mixture? I'll strip it for a nosy if I have to.

Took the front on the Daytona down to canvas, so it'll get the old treaded tyres from the B2 and we'll fit some slicks to that.

Bit of luck the ZPF will arrive on Wednesdayish and we'll go for another blat. Daytona is a bit lethal to ride... about 10mm of peg left on each side... and if you slip off, baaaad things happen. Will try to get a length of nylon and machine some up on the lathe on Saturday. It desperately needs a chain guard too, it's eating both the fairings and our boots at an alarming rate.

Other than that, the crappy little Daytona is actually a lot of fun around car parks, doesn't need much room to stretch its legs.

Really do need a nice open patch to try somethings on, get a bit nervous cranking it round traffic islands at this early stage of the game, it's easy to clip on with a knee; should be a lot more fun when I get a bit of consistently... at the moment it's like being a new rider again :D

Z1_ZPF_BOY
2nd March 2009, 15:16
B1 reps use a NGK-B9EGV :apumpin:

racefactory
2nd March 2009, 15:17
The screw on the side of the horrible little B2 carb, what's the supposed to do then? Mixture or idle adjustment? Appears to be mixture? I'll strip it for a nosy if I have to.

It's the idle adjuster.

imdying
2nd March 2009, 15:23
B1 reps use a NGK-B9EGV :apumpin:Heh, I was tempted to get a V series plug, but they every other branch had one but the one we went to (i.e. the closest one). I dare say I'll fit one to the ZPF when the time comes, all my other two strokes have responded well to precious metal plugs.

Idle adjustment eh... how many turns is the effective working range of the screw to do you know? I'm guessing full in and then no more than 3-4 turns out?

Oh, the plug cap on the Daytona is total arse. Any reason why I can't yank the plug lead out of the coil and fit a new lead / cap?

imdying
2nd March 2009, 15:29
Now I just need someone in chch to show me how to ride it properly... I'm all arms and legs at the moment, just can't get seated naturally.

Do you need to shift your weight when cornering, or just keep you bum in the middle of the seat and lean it over? I'm 6ft, so moving left to right on the seat is a bit of a chore, not impossible though.

Z1_ZPF_BOY
2nd March 2009, 16:14
ZPF Rep's use NGK-B10EGV, and make sure you get the one in the red packet.(FOR RACING) :clap: also... if your 6ft i don't think u will be getting off your seat. they do it alot in europe, but i have found that leaning is just as effective. i too have a zpf so personally i lean because i can't get off the seat. it does take a while to get the feet right on the pegs(im still learning) lol.

P S- Good luck with the ZPF, they are a real awesome bike and are really torquey.

DELLORTO
2nd March 2009, 16:23
ZPF Rep's use NGK-B10EGV, and make sure you get the one in the red packet.(FOR RACING) :clap: also... if your 6ft i don't think u will be getting off your seat. they do it alot in europe, but i have found that leaning is just as effective. i too have a zpf so personally i lean because i can't get off the seat. it does take a while to get the feet right on the pegs(im still learning) lol.

P S- Good luck with the ZPF, they are a real awesome bike and are really torquey.

if you think zpf are torquey wait until you ride a hotted 4.2...!!

imdying
2nd March 2009, 16:34
if you think zpf are torquey wait until you ride a hotted 4.2...!!So you need to hot up a 4.2 (whatever that is) before it's comparable to a ZPF rep?

Gadgit
2nd March 2009, 18:03
Now I just need someone in chch to show me how to ride it properly... I'm all arms and legs at the moment, just can't get seated naturally.

Do you need to shift your weight when cornering, or just keep you bum in the middle of the seat and lean it over? I'm 6ft, so moving left to right on the seat is a bit of a chore, not impossible though.

All arms and legs ya say lol
Riding style is all up to you really like ZPF boy sais he stays on the seat and finds it best for him, as others to. But I'm 6'2" and move alot in my seat and find I don't have to lean as much to pull a tight line. I move right off the seat on the daytona and keep a cheek on the seat on my 18Hp open bike.

DELLORTO
2nd March 2009, 18:08
So you need to hot up a 4.2 (whatever that is) before it's comparable to a ZPF rep?

i had a 4.2 that was slightly modded and it was alot faster than a zpf.....i mean it was better handling and the acceleration was also alot better.....and then a 4.2 will still beat a zpf on the straight.....but its all down to the rider

orange
2nd March 2009, 18:16
that 4.2 cann't be that fast as it got it's ass handed to it in senior A on the weekend.

DELLORTO
2nd March 2009, 18:18
but it had a 100kg tim on it....:nono:

Ray LeCheminant
2nd March 2009, 18:36
i had a 4.2 that was slightly modded and it was alot faster than a zpf.....i mean it was better handling and the acceleration was also alot better.....and then a 4.2 will still beat a zpf on the straight.....but its all down to the rider

...it was slightly modded MAX....exactly mate....come on Max...lets keep this all in perspective. You weigh about 30kg....a fart powered unicycle will go fast with you on it!! :laugh:

Ray LeCheminant
2nd March 2009, 18:42
So you need to hot up a 4.2 (whatever that is) before it's comparable to a ZPF rep?

Well put mate....you took the words right our of my mouth!!!!

You'll love the ZPF...funny thing is, and Max does not mention it, but Connor beat everything on the ZPF on Sun, including a B1 that was also running in Senior A . That same bike ran 1st, 2nd and 4th in Senior A

ZPF, can't be that slow huh!

DELLORTO
2nd March 2009, 18:44
i weigh 50kg......but your right....i could keep up peter van who has a 9hp grc.....because i corner fast and im light enough to get amazing corner speed....the bike realy did fly with me on it.....{i think we had a connection:shifty:}

DELLORTO
2nd March 2009, 18:45
Well put mate....you took the words right our of my mouth!!!!

You'll love the ZPF...funny thing is, and Max does not mention it, but Connor beat everything on the ZPF on Sun, including a B1 that was also running in Senior A . That same bike ran 1st, 2nd and 4th in Senior A

ZPF, can't be that slow huh!

i never said they were slow......a b1 cant compete with a zpf but kelly had a daytona and he cant do much with that

Z1_ZPF_BOY
2nd March 2009, 18:48
Liam was racing a B1 on Sunday and boy that beast can fly, he was right on my tail... and for a few laps, in front of me!

DELLORTO
2nd March 2009, 18:50
:Offtopic:Liam was racing a B1 on Sunday and boy that beast can fly

...yes b1's are fast but it depends on what you compare them to....

imdying
3rd March 2009, 07:09
i had a 4.2 that was slightly modded and it was alot faster than a zpf.....i mean it was better handling and the acceleration was also alot better.....and then a 4.2 will still beat a zpf on the straight.....but its all down to the riderYou didn't answer the question.

DELLORTO
3rd March 2009, 15:10
You didn't answer the question.

ok yes a stock polini 4.2 is faster than a stock zpf

Z1_ZPF_BOY
3rd March 2009, 15:11
maybe, but my ZPF is standard and your Polini isn't.

DELLORTO
3rd March 2009, 15:12
Liam was racing a B1 on Sunday and boy that beast can fly, he was right on my tail... and for a few laps, in front of me!

remeber he has been racing pocket bikes before you even no they exsisted......

imdying
3rd March 2009, 15:33
ok yes a stock polini 4.2 is faster than a stock zpfCheers. Now, you have one for sale? How much do you want for it? You're happy to give it some decent packaging and freight it down to me? We've had one from Wellington and one from Auckland, both cost us $50 in freight, I can let you know which companies were used if that would help. If what you have for sale isn't a 4.2, what is it, and where does it fit into our Daytona/B2 rep/ZPF rep collection performance wise?

As for the other off topic stuff, I just need information, not to hear pissing contests or chest beating or whatever, plenty of other threads we can fag up with that lot :cool: (you have to remember I'm in Chch, none of that crap means anything to me, I don't know 'Liam' from Adam etc)

Definitely feel free to add information that you think is relevant though :yes:

DELLORTO
3rd March 2009, 16:00
Cheers. Now, you have one for sale? How much do you want for it? You're happy to give it some decent packaging and freight it down to me? We've had one from Wellington and one from Auckland, both cost us $50 in freight, I can let you know which companies were used if that would help. If what you have for sale isn't a 4.2, what is it, and where does it fit into our Daytona/B2 rep/ZPF rep collection performance wise?

As for the other off topic stuff, I just need information, not to hear pissing contests or chest beating or whatever, plenty of other threads we can fag up with that lot :cool: (you have to remember I'm in Chch, none of that crap means anything to me, I don't know 'Liam' from Adam etc)

Definitely feel free to add information that you think is relevant though :yes:

i did have one for sale but since it was the newest polini in new zealand and it was a good bike i sold i in a couple of hours, brett might have his black on for sale which would be priced around $1200 and it would be alot faster than a zpf, its modified like crazy

if he dosnt want to sell that hes got his 911 rep for sale which is a very fast bike 8hp+ and he wants $750 for that email him at www.pocketdyno.co.nz

he sells realy good bikes which are always reliable.....also he has all the parts
-max

imdying
3rd March 2009, 16:07
Heh, reliable is probably more important than fast at this stage... we're still falling off on a regular basis :D

DELLORTO
3rd March 2009, 16:09
maybe, but my ZPF is standard and your Polini isn't.

my polini was only slightly modded.....and remembering its air cooled and has a carburetor thats 5mm smaller.....

Im mean zpf's are good bikes but there rather underpowered for what they are.....kx65 motorcross bike is only 25cc bigger and its 18hp.....how does that work?? and even my rm85 which is 26hp is only just 45cc bigger than a polini gp3 rep motor and a gp3 rep motor puts out around 9hp......

its just abit weird to me my old polini on the other hand wasnt going to win any "HP" competitons....

DELLORTO
3rd March 2009, 16:11
Heh, reliable is probably more important than fast at this stage... we're still falling off on a regular basis :D

well if you want reliable bike bretts are very reliable....i brought 2 gp3's off him and ive never had to use a can of "engine start" ......:woohoo:

if you want a nice reliable bike my gp3 is for sale.....ive painted the frame black and it comes with lots of spares :woohoo:

imdying
3rd March 2009, 17:07
Remember, peak horsepower isn't everything, spread is just as important, inflexible motors aren't enjoyable to ride.

I'll have a think about the GP3.

Z1_ZPF_BOY
3rd March 2009, 17:38
Hi Imdying, if your wanting a quality bike and great reliability along with helpful advice to boot. Talk to Greg Oldridge(XTREME):first:. He sells the gp3 air-cooled and water-cooled, he also sells ZPF Rep's and Banshee's and some italian bikes... visit his website www.xminimoto.co.nz or drop him a PM http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=13965

Gadgit
3rd March 2009, 17:44
Your getting a bit of miss info there imdying.... I'v been racing minimoto since 2004 and if I jumped on a Polini 4.2 then on a ZPF rep I would get better lap times from the ZPF because it has more toque then the 4.2. Max is just compairing the 4.2 to other bikes he has raced againsted and he would be the lightest in the class. He is a good rider don't get me wrong but ZPF boy is just a starter and he shouldn't compair the two bikes from how they placed on race day... as there is a great difference in weight and ability between the riders.... ZPF boy has come along way from round one to round two tho and I can see great things from him once he makes it to senior class.... he'll be giving me a good run for my money.

Z1_ZPF_BOY
3rd March 2009, 17:54
thanks for that bit of encouragement Gadgit, it's much appreciated.:eek:

imdying
3rd March 2009, 17:56
Hi Imdying, if your wanting a quality bike and great reliability along with helpful advice to boot.Heh, yeah your father already made me buy a ZPF rep from him, it'll be here before the weekend :D

Your getting a bit of miss info there imdying.... I'v been racing minimoto since 2004 and if I jumped on a Polini 4.2 then on a ZPF rep I would get better lap times from the ZPF because it has more toque then the 4.2. Max is just compairing the 4.2 to other bikes he has raced againsted and he would be the lightest in the class.Thanks for that, I did wonder if a flatter torque curve was just as important on a mini moto as it is on a regular bike, seemed likely that that would be the case.

So what does the 4.2 stand for? kW?

Z1_ZPF_BOY
3rd March 2009, 17:59
4.2 is referring to HP

Ray LeCheminant
3rd March 2009, 18:08
Heh, yeah your father already made me buy a ZPF rep from him, it'll be here before the weekend :D

Thanks for that, I did wonder if a flatter torque curve was just as important on a mini moto as it is on a regular bike, seemed likely that that would be the case.

So what does the 4.2 stand for? kW?

"Heh, yeah your father already made me buy a ZPF rep from him, it'll be here before the weekend "

Lol.....I specialize in stand over tactics...LOL....yeah, was speaking to Greg tonight....it's on its way....you will be amazed with the P O W E R :soon:

DELLORTO
3rd March 2009, 18:46
thanks for that bit of encouragement Gadgit, it's much appreciated.:eek:

yes connor your definatly getting minimoto riding right i better watch out in a few months....:niceone: also its good your dad supports you.....you dont know how lucky you are.......i know heaps of kids your age you would do anything to have a shiny zpf pocket ibke and be sponsored.....

all you need now is more track time :niceone:

xtreme
3rd March 2009, 20:38
Hi Guys

Im with you on this one Imdying.
With the Xtreme bikes we have proved the HP isnt everything and that for us having excelent torque does it for us.
Last weekend for instance Orange used Aarons ZPF with the Oranges chinese Banshee engine in it. The only non Chinese bits on that bike are the coil, Sava tyres , GPT gauges and of course The Orange. In open he had a 1st , 2nd & a 3rd and in doing that he beat a POLINI 16HP ( Correct , Gadgit ??? ) GP3.
So Max as Gadgit said so many things come into it i cant see how you make these judgements on all things minimoto ??
From what i know at a practice day at times Connor could just beat Daniel and Daniel can beat you, so you must see the potential with the ZPT , Correct me if im wrong , so you see , so many factors come into it on the day

Cheers Greg

Ray LeCheminant
3rd March 2009, 20:44
wow - 107 replies and over 1290 views.....this is a hot topic
:bleh:

Ray LeCheminant
3rd March 2009, 20:45
Hi Guys

Im with you on this one Imdying.
With the Xtreme bikes we have proved the HP isnt everything and that for us having excelent torque does it for us.
Last weekend for instance Orange used Aarons ZPF with the Oranges chinese Banshee engine in it. The only non Chinese bits on that bike are the coil, Sava tyres , GPT gauges and of course The Orange. In open he had a 1st , 2nd & a 3rd and in doing that he beat a POLINI 16HP ( Correct , Gadgit ??? ) GP3.
So Max as Gadgit said so many things come into it i cant see how you make these judgements on all things minimoto ??
From what i know at a practice day at times Connor could just beat Daniel and Daniel can beat you, so you must see the potential with the ZPT , Correct me if im wrong , so you see , so many factors come into it on the day

Cheers Greg

"potential with the ZPT "

You inventing new models Greg - can I have one? :clap:

Regards always

GT

Gadgit
3rd March 2009, 21:05
The Orange. In open he had a 1st , 2nd & a 3rd and in doing that he beat a POLINI 16HP ( Correct , Gadgit ??? ) GP3.

Cheers Greg

Haha yea Orange did well on the ZPF he's still a feather weight compaired to me (100kg) and John (somewhere round 85kg) so we need the rest of the power to keep up lol... and then theres the fact he's not bad on two wheels ;)

Ray LeCheminant
3rd March 2009, 21:07
Haha yea Orange did well on the ZPF he's still a feather weight compaired to me (100kg) and John (somewhere round 85kg) so we need the rest of the power to keep up lol... and then theres the fact he's not bad on two wheels ;)

KFC is the answer Gadgit!!!!....us big fullah's need to stop eating it...or Orange needs to eat more of it.....
:woohoo:

motorbyclist
3rd March 2009, 22:55
i think what we can all take away from this thread is that pocket rockets are as much about the rider as the model

(and in my experience there is HUGE variability in the chinese bikes straight from the factory)

xtreme
4th March 2009, 06:06
i think what we can all take away from this thread is that pocket rockets are as much about the rider as the model
(and in my experience there is HUGE variability in the chinese bikes straight from the factory)

Motorbyclist , You are dead right !!!!!
Its almost like no 2 bikes are the same.

Ray , I/we can create any bike I like , Look at Aarons bike

Cheers Greg

orange
4th March 2009, 07:16
there is more in that zpf aswell

imdying
4th March 2009, 07:40
"Heh, yeah your father already made me buy a ZPF rep from him, it'll be here before the weekend ":cool:

Lol.....I specialize in stand over tactics...LOL....yeah, was speaking to Greg tonight....it's on its way....you will be amazed with the P O W E R :soon:Amazed? It'll probably scare the crap outta me :D

yes connor your definatly getting minimoto riding right i better watch out in a few months....:niceone: also its good your dad supports you.....you dont know how lucky you are.......i know heaps of kids your age you would do anything to have a shiny zpf pocket ibke and be sponsored.....You wanna be adopted? :laugh:

wow - 107 replies and over 1290 views.....this is a hot topicWell lets keep it rolling then... power aside for a moment, what's the deal with 'handling'. What's the difference in handling between the bikes? Seems like there's bugger all to the chassis, but things like bearing sizes must make some difference? I assume some brake better than others? What about tyres? Big bikes are extremely sensitive to tyres, does that apply here too?

Gadgit
4th March 2009, 11:53
Handling comes down to the rider because alot of the bikes are different sizes. I like the smaller chassis so ride a polini GP3 mini (smallest chassis along side the 4.2 jun) corners fast like it's on rails. The ZPF is a bigger bike all round suted to the rider that is not so flexiable there are alot of different chassis tho heres a few to google
Polini 4.2, 910, 911, GP3, GP4, GP5
Blata B1, 13R, 14WRS
ZPF Z1
Phantom
DM
Panzini
Theres a heap more and they all handle different and are different sizes, wheel base and peg posistion.

Tyres there are only two brands worth touching PMT and Sava both have different grades for different temps and weight.

Ray LeCheminant
4th March 2009, 16:25
Handling comes down to the rider because alot of the bikes are different sizes. I like the smaller chassis so ride a polini GP3 mini (smallest chassis along side the 4.2 jun) corners fast like it's on rails. The ZPF is a bigger bike all round suted to the rider that is not so flexiable there are alot of different chassis tho heres a few to google
Polini 4.2, 910, 911, GP3, GP4, GP5
Blata B1, 13R, 14WRS
ZPF Z1
Phantom
DM
Panzini
Theres a heap more and they all handle different and are different sizes, wheel base and peg posistion.

Tyres there are only two brands worth touching PMT and Sava both have different grades for different temps and weight.

Malcolm.....there is really only one tire out there.....S A V A !!!

DELLORTO
4th March 2009, 17:01
Malcolm.....there is really only one tire out there.....S A V A !!!

whats wrong with PMT?? you cant realy say PMT's are no good when you've never actauly used them :Police:

Ray LeCheminant
4th March 2009, 18:04
Never said they were no good! :Oi:

DELLORTO
4th March 2009, 18:21
whatever......cant be bothered gettting in a agrument,

just remember you've only been in the sport a couple of months.....ive been ridng pocket bikes since 2006, ive had over 20 chinese pocket bikes and ive had 2 genuine polini pocket bikes and in between ive had alot of tire set ups...

Also ive been to some tracks you have never been to and never will go to, so i know what tires are good and what are not so good.

-max

imdying
5th March 2009, 10:16
Wow... the ZPF is heaps tricker than the other two bikes put together...

Little cup washers on the fairing retainers, chunk gold anodized brackets everywhere... etc etc.

Must go play. Now. CIAO :D

Oh, and ladies, what I meant about not fagging up a useful (to noobs like me) thread with petty bickering... what I really meant was 'fuck off and talk shit somewhere else' :msn-wink:

imdying
5th March 2009, 17:08
Well, can't say that no fucking fuel line between the tank and filter impresses me much :mad:

Next time I'll do as I always do with bikes and strip and rebuild it first. The assumption that it's been running so it'll be sweet was a fucking stupid one.

Next problem... where to buy hose suitable for such small a fuel line.

DELLORTO
5th March 2009, 17:23
lawn mower shop :woohoo:

Z1_ZPF_BOY
5th March 2009, 17:24
try your local motorcycle shop, we just brought some quality fuel hose and replaced the fuel filter :done:

imdying
5th March 2009, 17:28
I'll have to pluck the bike out of the garden where I threw it after it pissed petrol all over my poor drive way. I suspect I might need some new fairings after it became a ZPF caber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caber_toss). I'll see what I can find at Supercheap, probably fuck all else open tonight.

DELLORTO
5th March 2009, 17:31
try your local motorcycle shop, we just brought some quality fuel hose and replaced the fuel filter :done:

why'd you do that??

Z1_ZPF_BOY
5th March 2009, 17:32
if you get a quality clear one you can see if the fuel is flowing properly.

DELLORTO
5th March 2009, 17:52
why didnt it comes with a good one?? even those gp3's of mine came with a fuel tank mounted fuel filter like polini and they were cheap.....

xtreme
5th March 2009, 18:27
Hi Malcom

See your email,
I must have been low on fuel line and forgot i borrowed it off
that bike

Let me know

Cheers Greg

Ray LeCheminant
5th March 2009, 18:45
why'd you do that??

I came home one day, and thought " I am going to change the fuel line on the ZPF" :yes:

imdying
6th March 2009, 07:32
Hi Malcom

See your email,
I must have been low on fuel line and forgot i borrowed it off
that bike

Let me know

Cheers GregSweet as mate, I was just pissed off at myself for not a) checking a Chinese make bike out from top to bottom and b) concentrating so hard on not spilling gas over it that I didn't realise the belly pan was slowly filling up with gas :bash: I know better than that :whistle:

imdying
6th March 2009, 07:54
So, was just a brief run last night... brief because I left the gas can at home, and obviously between my place, the auto parts store, and 'the track', the tank on the bike was still empty.

Bludged a little gas from the B2 (heh, I keep calling it, but really I've no idea what it is, I'll post a pic for you guys to ID), and it pulled into life nearly straight away. A bloody good start.

Needed a big handful of gas for two reasons:
1) idle was low
2) the throttle cable had 25mm too much travel in it, waaaaay more than the adjusters could ever hope to deal with

It ran out of gas before I had a chance to identify the idle problem and fit it, but I'm hoping that it's just set too low as it dies when you come of the gas after ripping along. I shortened the cable inner by an inch when we got home, so that let the adjusters work correctly, so now the throttle has a really nice action... teeny tiny bit of slack at the start to stop it being touchy, and snaps home like it should (the B2 doesn't snap back, it has a weird crappy rectangular slide carb, the ZPF has a nicer round slide carb with a needle, and the throttle spring is too weak. ZPF carb has a nice big throttle return spring though).

Rear brake works ok, but the fronts are totally abysmal, I couldn't even adjust them to solidly lock the front on the work bench, no matter how much I tried. I've worked in brakes for 10 years, so I've a pretty good idea of how they work, and the adjustment is pretty rudimentary so it's not like you can go too far wrong. I'll strip them on Saturday, and make some new cables, with a bit of luck I can find something to replace half the bits, I'll be looking to put some adjusters on the outers to fine tune the free play at the very least. They're the same setup as the B2 which we set up to work fine, so there's a solution there somewhere.

Rest of the chassis isn't too bad, chain needs adjusting though, definitely a step up in the quality of fasteners, that's for sure. Motor is a wee gem though; the brief ride definitely made me hungry for more.