PDA

View Full Version : Do-it-yourself motorcyle shop opens in California

Cajun
12th February 2009, 10:43
Came across this article about a place opened up in Cali, where its a bike shop you ride your bike in and do all work yourself in a place that has all the tools to do the job, tire changer etc, and place to dispose of oil/tires.

Handy for people who have limited garage space, or not a wide range of tools.

Interest concept/idea

-> http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=35556

Switch
12th February 2009, 10:46
What a bloody good idea...
Wonder how OSH in NZ would handle that :lol:

cave weta
12th February 2009, 10:55
A place like that used to exist in Napier- Workshop4U - had all the gear, lathe, 2 post hoist, porta power, sheet metal folder/guilotene, drill press, welders. engine crane, $20,000 worth of brand new hand tools and power tools.
They charged $20.00 per hour

Went broke because everybody has a mate, who has a mate, who has a shed:(

I used it quite a bit but I was the only one in there each time!

vifferman
12th February 2009, 11:04
Yeeeaarrs ago, when I lived in the 'tron, there was a similar thing there. They had all the tools, plus some real Mechanicking Dudes to help out with advice. Dunno what happpened to it, but I'd imagine there are more men who either want to pay for someone else to do everything or want to get the job done for free, than want to do it themselves and pay a nominal fee, so it prolly went bust.

racerhead
14th February 2009, 00:07
Thats a great idea and I would love for something like that at the minute because in the last month Ive done 5000kms
with just a can of chain lube:oi-grr: because Ive just been living in backpacker hostels.

At home I had a full tool kit and I spent as much time working on and cleaning my bike that I did riding the thing.

In the past month Ive cleaned my bike twice and have had an indicator held on by duct tape because I had no tools:weep:
Hopefully my stuff will be here soon, damn slow ships:angry2:

The Stranger
14th February 2009, 08:01
A place like that used to exist in Napier- Workshop4U - had all the gear, lathe, 2 post hoist, porta power, sheet metal folder/guilotene, drill press, welders. engine crane, $20,000 worth of brand new hand tools and power tools.
They charged $20.00 per hour

Went broke because everybody has a mate, who has a mate, who has a shed:(

I used it quite a bit but I was the only one in there each time!

Often times the first to try or to invent a thing pay a huge price for establishing the concept or market. Often they are ahead of their time.

Around Auckland many areas now have high density housing with little or no space for working on vehicles or for tool storage. Also with so many kids growing up without fathers who the hell is teaching them about engines and maintenence?

nallac
14th February 2009, 08:09
cool, buy an old bike name it Christine and watch it rebuild itself and turn nasty...

Swoop
14th February 2009, 09:59
What a bloody good idea...
Wonder how OSH in NZ would handle that :lol:
I was wondering how OSHA in the USA would handle that...
Litigation, compliances, etc, etc.

Renegade
20th February 2009, 21:40
cool, buy an old bike name it Christine and watch it rebuild itself and turn nasty...

like that buell transformer bike they left out of the movie :jerry:

3umph
20th February 2009, 21:49
bloody good idea but would be a battle to get it in NZ I would say as the NZ do it yourself attitude has a lot doing it at home already...

the only problem for a dead bike would be transporting to and from and I wonder what would happen to a major repair that takes quite awhile and waiting on parts... nothing worst then packing up and storing shit while you wait...