PDA

View Full Version : Restricted License, applying for an exemption to the 250cc rule

Real_Wolf
12th February 2009, 16:48
I'm interested in getting a 400cc bike, when i get my restricted, which should be soon. It says that I can apply for an exemption, and i've heard that ya can apply for one to get a bigger cc bike because the 250cc's are too small and your tall/big.

I'm just wondering, how much bs do you need to actually get one of these exemptions?

shingo
12th February 2009, 16:55
Did you have a particular bike in mind? Jafa has a list of 'approved' bikes that you may have a chance of getting an exemption for.

And to get an exemption you have to have a pretty decent excess or be really good at talking shit. Rob and Jafa will be able to attest to this.

Squiggles
12th February 2009, 17:14
search it... has been posted here before. As shaun noted, they're now using the Australian LAMS bike list as the gospel.
Do not try to outsmart or bullshit them, its a small group and they arent stupid (Medical proof, letters from bosses, etc will be required depending on what angle you want to take).

I dont think the size card will work for you ;)

PirateJafa
12th February 2009, 17:46
What's your angle? You'll need a pretty plausible one.

Also, note that my exemption was the last one ever given for a NC30. Now the NC30s and NC35s are no longer on the "approved" list, so you can cross those off your wishlist.

bomma
12th February 2009, 22:24
do your time and look forward to getting that full licence mate....there's prolly a reason they have the licensing system....jafa's various broken parts are testament :lol:

Real_Wolf
12th February 2009, 23:03
ah damn, so much for that great idea :P, and theres so many cheap > 250cc bikes on trademe, for about the same prices as the 250's.

Meh, still should get my restricted so its less illegal for me to travel on motorways, and to travel without the L plate.

Speaking of L plate, anyone got a spare me and my mate could borrow to get our restricted?

bomma
13th February 2009, 09:07
indeed i do. ill have a hunt for em and take em along with me to uni today. gimme a buzz if you want to pick it up. ive got 2 xams next week so ill be at uni studyin for the better part of today. 027 323 2289.

motorbyclist
13th February 2009, 11:25
I dont think the size card will work for you ;)

you really have to be big AND heavy to justify size... and you aren't really either

or is rob, but he just BS his way through because of the length of his commute. same for jafa. probably one of the reasons they brought in the list (to stop people making excuses to get a biggerer sprotsbike)

very few (if any) people ever need an exemption. just htfu and do your tests

and there's nothing wrong with an fxr150. a good one would have cost less than that last anchor you bought - take us with you!

motorbyclist
13th February 2009, 11:40
1975 suzuki GT125 2-smoke, will need re-registering but has the plates and would make you the most awesome guy in the club (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=193184985)

1986 Honda CBX250RS all ready to go (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-201954493.htm)

1987 Honda GL145 ready to go (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-201853778.htm)

2004 Suzuki AX100 2-smoke (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-202780162.htm)

and the bonus is that all of them bar the 250 would make for great bucket racers when you're done with them (ie, the parts are worth money, unlike the last lump of metal you bought:niceone:)

ital916
13th February 2009, 11:42
good luck, I had support from the motorcycle shop I work with as well as auckland airport who I work for too. I had four referral letter from experienced riders and proof of undertaking two on road defensive riding courses...and I was told a blunt no. lol so yeah good luck,im just gonna do my time. long as it has two wheels im teh happiest man alive.

bomma
13th February 2009, 11:58
im sorry but i couldnt find those plates, i must have lent em out and now ive got no idea where they are....oh well not like i need em anymore :)

motorbyclist
13th February 2009, 12:14
they only cost a dollar!

bomma
13th February 2009, 13:07
they only cost a dollar!

well from what ive heard, steve-oh's gone mad with power and plans to increase the joining fee for the coming year.....some hard financial decisions to be made here andy, we are students ya know :mellow:

Real_Wolf
13th February 2009, 13:17
yeah, he's thinking of charging *gasp* 2 dollars. Thats like a drink. I'll go thirsty because of this blatant extortion.

Those bikes aren't bad, but I'd prefer something not quite so old, I'm thinking at least 1990's for my next bike, for servicing reasons mostly. Just inconvenient when the bike place I wish to take my bike to doesn't want to do anything with it cause its too old.

Also, really looking for a nice sportsbike for my next one, or at least a 4 cylinder with some grunt (or maybe a 250 2smoker, not sure on that one, would want more info on 2 stroke maintenance/keeping it in working condition/what I'd really need to do to keep it working well)

motorbyclist
13th February 2009, 16:45
well an inline4 will cost a few grand

one of those "old" bikes was a 2004 model - with 30 years of parts behind it if anything should break ;)

the most important aspects of the sporty 2 strokes is thrashing them. do you reckon you're up to that? there's a reason they are going to be taken off the Learner Legal list;) (cause they're too much fun:pinch:)

Ixion
13th February 2009, 17:02
Also, really looking for a nice sportsbike for my next one, or at least a 4 cylinder with some grunt (or maybe a 250 2smoker, not sure on that one, would want more info on 2 stroke maintenance/keeping it in working condition/what I'd really need to do to keep it working well)

Keeping two smokers working well is simply a matter of replenishing the smoke. Every month, make a pile of ten dollar notes , pile them in a mound up to the level of the exhaust outlet. Now set fire to them with the motor running. The smoke will be drawn into the engine by the back pressure . That's the cheap way of keeping them working well.

Real_Wolf
15th February 2009, 17:54
lol, if that worked, that'd be awesome.

Yah, i reckon I could thrash them. Afterall, i had to thrash my xs to keep up with my mates bandit (we were almost equal in acceleration through the rev's, but then i hit redline and he hasn't even hit powerband), and i even put in a fair bit into my mates bandit when i ride it.

Main thing i'm worried about is low speed movement (like traffic) and keeping it in healthy condition

hornyhornet
20th February 2009, 09:40
I got an exemption last year for my SV650 on the basis that my 250 didn't accommodate my size (6ft5", 108kg).

My mate got an exemption for a CBR600F3 on the basis that he used a bike for work frequently and suffered "dangerous" wind buffeting on his 250. He was talking to the woman who was in charge of giving out exemptions and she mentioned that he would be one of the last to get an exemption on a bike that wasn't on a new list similar to the one from oz (the power-to-weight one).

Hope this helps.

HungusMaximist
20th February 2009, 10:26
Mate, you will be pushing your luck however you know until you try. Give it a go bro.