PDA

View Full Version : First gear issue

Mom
15th February 2009, 18:17
I have always been unable to select neutral on my bike while the engine is running despite all the usual ways to make this happen. I either deliberately stall it, or turn the key off then back on and hey presto neutral no problem. Today I have had 2 instances of first gear not engaging fully.

By this I mean I have changed down a couple of gears then braked to a stop at lights and clicked down to first. Take off and the bike slips out of gear and hits neutral with the resulting embarrassing roar of throttle and neutral. The first time I banged it back down to first and off I went. The second time, also taking off from traffic lights, the same thing happened, this time bang in the middle of the intersection with a little bit more speed up, turning right, so I elected to go up for second, but selected a big handful of neutral :o

Before the first instance I was a bit suspect that I was not in first, so let the clutch out a bit to check and was definately in gear. The second time I got no indication that anything was amiss. The clutch on my bike is worn, so I try not to use it too much on the road, and only really rely on it for starting/stopping. Any ideas why my blue lovely has done this today?

It is 1991 Yamaha Radian. For those that know it is the same engine as in the XJ's of old.

FJRider
15th February 2009, 18:22
Sounds like a CLUTCH issue, can it be adjusted any further ???
If it can't it may be the problem...

98tls
15th February 2009, 18:25
Have the plates been changed since you have had it MOM?

Mom
15th February 2009, 18:30
Sounds like a CLUTCH issue, can it be adjusted any further ???

No it cant be adjusted any further, in fact it is about at the end of any adjustment and there are times it "creeps" when fully engaged. I am aware the clutch is almost dead, perhaps it is actually dead?

Have the plates been changed since you have had it MOM?

No, no work has been done on the clutch since Maha bought it, dont know much about its pedigree prior to be fair. I have a heap of spares that came with it, no clutch plates I dont think.

piston broke
15th February 2009, 18:30
ya just gotta time it right and not have to stop:msn-wink:
problem solved

Number One
15th February 2009, 18:33
Sounds like a CRUTCH issue, can it be adjusted any further ???

That is just uncalled for! :laugh::shifty:

As you were....this is a technical thread so I have nothing of any real value to add except to say that I had the same trouble with the SV (though not QUITE as bad) and moving the sticking point in a bit and fixing up the gear shifter seemed to help.

BTW - HI Mom :sunny:

Mom
15th February 2009, 18:33
ya just gotta time it right and not have to stop:msn-wink:
problem solved

Normally not an issue really, but today we went to the shitty city and found the lights, man they are everywhere down there :blip:

98tls
15th February 2009, 18:35
Many bikes including mine can be a pain in the arse to find neutral when running,still is even with new plates/steels,could possibly be internal and not the plates,methinks inspection required (obviously)good luck doubt it will be a biggie.

BM-GS
15th February 2009, 18:36
Could be clutch which doesn't allow the engine & gearbox to disengage properly, or maybe even something silly like the chain being too tight & keeping load on the gearbox if you don't rock it back & forward it a bit.

My $0.02.

Mom
15th February 2009, 18:39
Could be clutch which doesn't allow the engine & gearbox to disengage properly, or maybe even something silly like the chain being too tight & keeping load on the gearbox if you don't rock it back & forward it a bit.

My $0.02.

Trust me on this, no amount of rocking, rolling and sharp front braking, letting the clutch out a fraction, going up to 2nd and gently tapping the lever down or anyother method you can employ to help works. The chain tension is fine. Looking like a clutch issue huh?

piston broke
15th February 2009, 18:39
Normally not an issue really, but today we went to the shitty city and found the lights, man they are everywhere down there :blip:
ah,i see your problem,
i was thinkin you only had 2 sets to deal with.
i'm sure maha can do a crlutch job in a few minutes:2thumbsup

MadDuck
15th February 2009, 18:46
today we went to the shitty city and found the lights, man they are everywhere down there :blip:

And to be honest Mom I hope you get it sorted. I nearly rear ended you as I thought you had taken off.

Hmm Radian run over by a tank....would not make for pretty reading.

FJRider
15th February 2009, 18:57
That is just uncalled for! :laugh::shifty:

Some cRutches need MANUAL adjustment... Mom has her OWN "adjuster" and would/should not require my assistance. I thank you for you imput... Should you need advice on cRutch problems... feel free to PM me... I need a laugh...

Mom
15th February 2009, 19:15
And to be honest Mom I hope you get it sorted. I nearly rear ended you as I thought you had taken off.

Hmm Radian run over by a tank....would not make for pretty reading.

I know mate, sorry about that, I thought I had taken off too! The second time was even worse, nearly got MICRO :o

Little Miss Trouble
15th February 2009, 19:36
No idea about the first part of the issue lol and probably completely off base with the second part but, oh well.

Sounds sort of similar to an issue I had with my GPX, where I had too much play in the clutch cable and so kept getting a false first gear or having it drop back into nuetral after up shifting. A quick adjustment by the guys at Spectrum and hey presto problem solved

R6_kid
15th February 2009, 19:44
You say you're not using the clutch except for starting and stopping? Does that mean you are changing down without the clutch? If so stop doing it now - it doesn't do anything good for your gearbox - neither does 'banging it back in'. It's cheaper to replace the clutch than it is to replace a screwed gear and selector fork - my R6 cost in the region of $1700 to get this done.

Fork out for a set of clutch plates and springs. Was only $280 all up for steels and fibres on the GSXR, i cant imagine it being that expensive on your bike. Springs are about $30-40.

It takes under an hour to change them out. Heck, if you want to save some $$$ i'll even come and do it for you.