PDA

View Full Version : GP3 rep & GRC rep info?

grantman
16th February 2009, 19:45
I have had a hunt around and found some info for GP3
http://gp3reps.wordpress.com/factory-problems/

is this info still good for my GRC rep?
I think so
What do think is worth doing?

Thanks
Grant

DELLORTO
16th February 2009, 19:49
so what do you have in mind for "worth doing" grant? do you mean modifications??

BigAl
16th February 2009, 20:00
Very interesting Grantman, I would start with the easy mods and will definitely be checking out some of the 'so called problems' on my bike.

As there are different factories making these bikes then all the points may not apply.

That air filter replacement seems a real good idea, let us know if you find anything locally.

later

grantman
16th February 2009, 20:11
Hi Max & BigAl
I not really worried about mods to make it faster
(fast enough for me at the moment)

keen to do some easy things first

Cheers

DELLORTO
16th February 2009, 20:19
ok grant first i would get some decent tires of arnie {pitwerkz} on trademe and i would install a full filter.....any more to add to that Alan??

Ray LeCheminant
17th February 2009, 18:07
Hi Max & BigAl
I not really worried about mods to make it faster
(fast enough for me at the moment)

keen to do some easy things first

Cheers

Hi Grant, the best bit of advice we ever received was to put some SAVA tyres on.....Connor has never looked back.

Contact "grego" or go to www.xminimoto.co.nz for details....they have an online shop....and Greg gets these on the courier very quickly.

SAVA's are the way!!!! :rockon:

DELLORTO
17th February 2009, 18:19
Hi Grant, the best bit of advice we ever received was to put some SAVA tyres on.....Connor has never looked back.

Contact "grego" or go to www.xminimoto.co.nz for details....they have an online shop....and Greg gets these on the courier very quickly.

SAVA's are the way!!!! :rockon:

it realy depends on your riding style and how you use them.......for example brett has had lots of trouble with his sava's e:g and mt wellington last month his tires got giant bubbles so he couldnt ride and he had a "cut" the length of the tire on his rear tire........and then other people love their sava's and find their perfect for racing.....i personaly prefer PMT's becasue there just softer but thats just me.....

Gadgit
17th February 2009, 19:57
I run a Polini GP3 a rep GP3 and a rep GRC with reverse engine. The best you can do to keep them reliable is -1. fit a new small end bearing (not a chinka one) 2. Have the main jet in the carb sized and fit a larger one (2 sizes up they are always too lean out of the box) 3. When you start it don't just randomly pull on the start cord, pull it slowly up to compression then give it a pull to start. the starters are week but I have never blowen one yet. 4. Keep the air filter clean as when it gets dirty you will begin to feel it miss in the mid range and you can chase your tail for hours changing spark plugs and eletricts to try to rectify the fault ( I should know lol) 5. Keep a spare flywheel and stata on hand as this is the only part on my engines that I seem to replace on a regular basis.... Hope thats helpfull to ya.

Ray LeCheminant
17th February 2009, 20:22
it realy depends on your riding style and how you use them.......for example brett has had lots of trouble with his sava's e:g and mt wellington last month his tires got giant bubbles so he couldnt ride and he had a "cut" the length of the tire on his rear tire........and then other people love their sava's and find their perfect for racing.....i personaly prefer PMT's becasue there just softer but thats just me.....

As you say Max it comes down to personal preference.....but Mt Wellington (from reports as I was not there) was extremely HOT....I have raced all sorts of cars/karts/speedway over my many years, and the general rule of thumb on a HOT HOT day is to increase tire pressure to stop them getting too hot....we ran Connor on SAVA at Taumaranui on 7th Jan for testing, and that was the day that the Desert road melted, and it was DAMN HOT (37c) and we ran 4psi higher than normal and the tires were fine.

We ran 20psi and did 10 laps and the tires increased considerably in temp and expanded to the pressure to 28psi.

Run 2 we started at 26psi and did the same laps, and only had a slight raise in temp and the tires did not increase in psi at all, and maintained their adhesion

The hotter the track, the more malleable any tire gets and it attracts heat as the side walls are generating heat through movement....that heat transfers into the carcass and raises PSI and affects the compound...hence blistering, and in extreme cases, delaminating....I have seen kart tires do this

Just my 2 cents worth....but I have been doing this for a while now Max....and believe me I have ruined many good tires until I figured it out :angry2:

xtreme
17th February 2009, 20:48
Ray , you took the words out of my mouth !!!!!!!

Max , yes you are correct with what you stated with what happen to the tyres at MT Welly.

But what Ray said is dead right !!!

I have had a report back from the experts which has stated that the tyres concerned were run at to LOWER pressure for the temp on the day and the weight of the rider , causing overheating & delamination of the tyre carcass . Low pressure = more heat and with 30 deg that day the tyres were fried. The tyres concerned should have been at , at least 30 psi to help keep the tyre cool.
I know some one else that was there on the same day and runs 30 psi using the same model tyre on his open bike and has never had a problem like this.

So this is a learning curve for us all about tyres and is not a fault with the tyres at all.

Also
Someone asked me the HP of a standard GP3 rep and i have been advised that its approx 8 hp out of the box . These bikes looking at the rules fit into the Senior B class and above , to much HP for any class below that ( SEN A etc )

If anyone is not sure about what pressures to run in their Sava tyres please email me , greg.o@xtra.co.nz

Hope this clears up a couple of things

Cheers Greg

www.xminimoto.co.nz

DELLORTO
17th February 2009, 20:56
then how come my PMT's didnt mealt??? and im leaning over way more than brett and i raced on the track longer?? i mean my PMT's are over a year old ive never had any trouble with them.....

i guess bret was just unlucky...

Ray LeCheminant
17th February 2009, 21:07
Ray , you took the words out of my mouth !!!!!!!

Max , yes you are correct with what you stated with what happen to the tyres at MT Welly.

But what Ray said is dead right !!!

I have had a report back from the experts which has stated that the tyres concerned were run at to LOWER pressure for the temp on the day and the weight of the rider , causing overheating & delamination of the tyre carcass . Low pressure = more heat and with 30 deg that day the tyres were fried. The tyres concerned should have been at , at least 30 psi to help keep the tyre cool.
I know some one else that was there on the same day and runs 30 psi using the same model tyre on his open bike and has never had a problem like this.

So this is a learning curve for us all about tyres and is not a fault with the tyres at all.

Also
Someone asked me the HP of a standard GP3 rep and i have been advised that its approx 8 hp out of the box . These bikes looking at the rules fit into the Senior B class and above , to much HP for any class below that ( SEN A etc )

If anyone is not sure about what pressures to run in their Sava tyres please email me , greg.o@xtra.co.nz

Hope this clears up a couple of things

Cheers Greg

www.xminimoto.co.nz

Also

Greg,

At 8HP that would mean the GP3 Rep bike cannot be run in Junior open, correct?

Ray

DELLORTO
17th February 2009, 21:12
Also

Greg,

At 8HP that would mean the GP3 Rep bike cannot be run in Junior open, correct?

Ray

why you taking about a gp3 running in junior open?? also a zpf is suposibly 7-9hp

grantman
17th February 2009, 21:18
Thanks guys for all the info

Will look into some tyres soon
Got some bills to pay first

There is always something!:doh:
did a bit more work on my bike tonight
slowly getting it back together for next meeting

Thanks again
Grant

xtreme
17th February 2009, 21:31
Max

I think you and your bike are a little lighter than then the other guy and you probably had pressures more suited to you and your bike, read the previous 2 posts carefully and think about it :confused: and you will see that it explains what can happen if you run the wrong pressures in the wrong conditions !!!!!!!
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Cheers Greg

Ray LeCheminant
17th February 2009, 21:35
why you taking about a gp3 running in junior open?? also a zpf is suposibly 7-9hp

Not specifically talking about running one in Junior open....I really like the GP3 rep...but we could not fit Connor on one :scooter:

We have built Connor a D2 for Mt Wellington.....but if it is too slow for him we may look at another ZPF or even a GP3 rep....as they pretty nice bikes

xtreme
17th February 2009, 21:43
Hi Max

I cant even remember who asked me about the HP of the GP3 and Ray it doesnt matter anyway as no one runs one in Junior open so its all good anyway. I think the guru with the dyno also told me it was around 8 hp as well.
A GP3 Rep is way faster than a ZPF , on saying that it sould be as its 9 kilo's lighter to start with.

A standard ZPF has been dynoed at 4.5 hp apparently, in fact it was talked about at the agm. You were there werent you ?Connor's ZPF only has 1 mod and that is external of the engine.

So wheres the problem ???

Cheers Greg

DELLORTO
17th February 2009, 21:44
why another zpf?? whats wrong with the current one.....

yup zpf are rather tame compared to a gp3.......my old polini was faster than a zpf and it was dynoed at 5.2Hp...

Ray LeCheminant
17th February 2009, 21:49
why another zpf?? whats wrong with the current one.....
you should get connor aceing on the zpf before you bother with another bike......

We are keeping the current ZPF for the national rounds.....and want to develop a bike for Mt Wellington that enables us to test without mucking with the No.5 bike...by using another ZPF we can transfer learnings between bikes. They are cheap enough to be able to that (I think) :scooter:

I really hope you do stay in Junior open Max, as it will be good for Connor to be able to compete with as many riders as possible.

xtreme
17th February 2009, 21:52
You can just use Aarons 2nd bike if it comes to another ZPF you want

Cheers

DELLORTO
18th February 2009, 06:40
We are keeping the current ZPF for the national rounds.....and want to develop a bike for Mt Wellington that enables us to test without mucking with the No.5 bike...by using another ZPF we can transfer learnings between bikes. They are cheap enough to be able to that (I think) :scooter:

I really hope you do stay in Junior open Max, as it will be good for Connor to be able to compete with as many riders as possible.

dont worry im still in junior open.......anyway im connors only real competition......its good for him to follow me so he can copy me and be better.....

ive just got a modifed gp3 air cooled at them moment.......still it will be very compeditive.....ill also be running my daytona......

orange
18th February 2009, 09:41
i remember a zpf rep beating a gp3 in open. that a real gp3 before you start digging with a spade

Gadgit
18th February 2009, 11:27
Yip I remember that day to Orange lol

Ray LeCheminant
18th February 2009, 15:15
i remember a zpf rep beating a gp3 in open. that a real gp3 before you start digging with a spade

Mr Orange - I was wondering how long it would take for you to bring that one up again......

Mate...how far away is that super D2 motor for Connor....

GT