PDA

View Full Version : Obama backs bikes

Bob
20th February 2009, 01:14
US President Barack Obama has shown support to motorcycling, providing tax credits on the purchase of motorcycles in his “Ecomomic Stimulus” bill.

“This inclusive and equitable solution will provide much-needed relief to riders, as well as to those who sell motorcycles,” says Ed Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations. " Motorcycles are vital to the reduction of traffic congestion, provide efficient use of limited parking, have far less impact on our roads and bridges, and contribute significantly to our nation’s efforts to consume less fuel. Our success today clearly indicates that our legislators are listening.”

eelracing
20th February 2009, 01:52
The guy is a visionary and i hope our politicians can take note.Won't hold my breath but.

T.I.E
20th February 2009, 05:30
what ya mean i could get it cheaper or get some money back wicked.....:headbang:

ill take 10

The Baron
20th February 2009, 06:20
He is a breath of fresh air with an open mind and this is a wise move on many levels.

Long may he rule.:yes:

Sparrowhawk
20th February 2009, 06:22
Finally, a politico using his brain!

rainman
20th February 2009, 06:52
Wouldn't it be nice if we had polly's like him rather than the tired old lot we have...

NordieBoy
20th February 2009, 06:58
Should give Harley/Buffet a boost...

Goblin
20th February 2009, 07:08
US President Barack Obama has shown support to motorcycling, providing tax credits on the purchase of motorcycles in his “Ecomomic Stimulus” bill.

“ and contribute significantly to our nation’s efforts to consume less fuel. Our success today clearly indicates that our legislators are listening.”He cant have known about Harley Davidson buying out MV Agusta.:lol:

EJK
20th February 2009, 07:14
Fark... Bikes are cheap in US already. How cheaper can they be...

Okey Dokey
20th February 2009, 08:02
Go Obama!

Wouldn't it be great to hear something similar from an NZ politician?

McDuck
20th February 2009, 09:35
Go Obama!

With key at the helm it could happen

Swoop
20th February 2009, 11:08
He cant have known about Harley Davidson buying out MV Agusta.:lol:
Bugger.

If you ride an MV, do you have to wear tassels now???:scratch:

firefighter
20th February 2009, 11:18
Bugger.

no but you can't wave at anyone.......:whistle::shutup: :innocent:

want-a-harley
20th February 2009, 15:04
In UK motor vehicle licence/tax is 1/3 to 1/6 of the price of a car cos of less emissions, reduces congestione less wear and tear on roads, less roads needed. In NZ it is more for a motorbike. WTF?

Sollyboy
20th February 2009, 20:07
Go Obama!

maybe not such a good idea in nz to promote more motorbike use as unlike the usa we have acc and no doubt with all the retard commuters falling off our levy will triple

Okey Dokey
20th February 2009, 20:39
maybe not such a good idea in nz to promote more motorbike use as unlike the usa we have acc and no doubt with all the retard commuters falling off our levy will triple

Oh, c'mon... some folk will find a turd in a scoop of ice cream!!!

twotyred
20th February 2009, 21:03

I think it's a valid comment as TPTB have already used the excuse of increased MC use due to higher fuel costs etc,to validate their perceived need for compulsary flouro jackets and daytime headlights... I'm sure that is only the thin edge of the wedge when it comes to their real plans for bikes...

Okey Dokey
20th February 2009, 21:13
So a tax incentive to buy bikes becomes the thin end of the wedge? This does not seem logical to me...

Here we have a major political figure endorsing the purchase/use of bikes...what do you find sinister in that? I thought it was the validation of legitimacy many bikers longed for?

The possibility that the ACC poll recently conducted and referred to in another kb thread- now there I can see the potential for misuse.

McJim
20th February 2009, 21:22
Unfortunately Kiwi politics and local philosophy promotes car use to the exclusion of all else.

In other countries cars are relegated to the position they deserve as inefficient over consumers of resources and polluters of the environment. In most European countries any incident involving a car and pedestrian or car and bicycle the car is held responsible. NZ is so arrogantly pro car that this is almost never the case (Ute driver tries to assassinate entire peleton on Coro by being fuckwit for example - NO CHARGES LAID! WTF?).

What chance have motorcycles got in the face of such stupid and entrenched bias and stupidity?

In other words - don't hold your breath.

applewins
21st February 2009, 01:55
Well I just downloaded the entire bailout package in PDF and searched for the reference to the Motorcycle tax credits. No reference that I could find in the 647 pages of money spent that the tax payers don't have. Please let me know specifically where this credit is located. VISIONARY?

Suzuki GSX650F in COLD Michigan.
http://www.gsx650f.biz

Goblin
21st February 2009, 07:00
Bugger.

No, but think of the chrome you could add. :love:

Okey Dokey
21st February 2009, 08:02
Michigan.
http://www.gsx650f.biz

GO BLUE!

(10 char)

Fudmucker
21st February 2009, 13:30
Pardon a foreigner's ignorance - what's acc? :whistle:

slofox
21st February 2009, 13:36
Finally, a politico using his brain!

A politico WITH a brain is a wonder in itself...

And they are the lucky ones...

Virago
21st February 2009, 13:48
Pardon a foreigner's ignorance - what's acc? :whistle:

Count yourself lucky that you don't know.

ACC is Accident Compensation Corporation. It is a NZ government run "insurance" scheme for accident cover. All employees pay a levy as part of their tax, as do employers. Most of the annual registration fee for a motorcycle is ACC levy.

Alas, it is not the social dream that it sounds. It removes the right to sue a guilty party following an accident, as the ACC is there to cover your losses.

Unfortunately, ACC will only cover a portion of your losses, and long term or permanent injuries will only attract minimal financial support. Genuine accident victims are often treated like criminals, by a faceless bureaucratic nightmare...

Bonez
22nd February 2009, 10:32
Count yourself lucky that you don't know.

ACC is Accident Compensation Corporation. It is a NZ government run "insurance" scheme for accident cover. All employees pay a levy as part of their tax, as do employers. Most of the annual registration fee for a motorcycle is ACC levy.

Alas, it is not the social dream that it sounds. It removes the right to sue a guilty party following an accident, as the ACC is there to cover your losses.

Unfortunately, ACC will only cover a portion of your losses, and long term or permanent injuries will only attract minimal financial support. Genuine accident victims are often treated like criminals, by a faceless bureaucratic nightmare...Lets not forget the tards that take the scheme for a ride..............Live off it but are still quite capable having full time jobs.

Sollyboy
23rd February 2009, 18:22
Genuine accident victims are often treated like criminals, by a faceless bureaucratic nightmare...

and then genuine criminals in prison are given good compensation for falling out their bunk bed in or if lacerate they nut sack climbing over razor wire , what a fantastico systems ,WTF

Fudmucker
24th February 2009, 06:20
Sounds something similar to our Road Accident Fund, funded by a fuel levy. It is supposed to cover the costs of anyone involved in an accident involving a vehicle.

Practically speaking, it is so 'administratively challenged' that they are passing new rules to limit the amount of damages anyone can receive and a 'no blame' policy that prevents persons who receive RAF benefits from suing the other party (also covered by them).

hammerman
28th February 2009, 20:20
Obama is a righteous dude. He ticks all my boxes so far.

idb
10th March 2009, 20:28
no but you can't wave at anyone.......:whistle::shutup: :innocent:

Hey!!!
That gives me a great idea...!!!