PDA

View Full Version : Enlighten me! Back-pressure?

sinfull
22nd February 2009, 19:06
I have little or no idea of how it works (or should i say controll/utilise it)

Picture this
Turned my old 03 speed triple into a bit of a donor bike for the new addition, an 06 1050, using the 3 into 1 system (which i just thought id try on for size and it fits) on the 1050, which i'm using on the track at the moment (OEM stainless cans had to go, being over 10kg, more like 13 14kg).
But of course, that leaves me with one bike not going, (greedy i know, but hey flaunt it)
Gonna sort the stock header system of the 1050 to take a slip on 955 can and mid pipe system (or better), as there are lots more of em around and only need a co2 sensor adaption (another story)) AS WELL as being able to fit it's stock splitter and OEM cans so i could revert it to standard, in a few hours if need be, (means chopping the joins and reversing them ! Who puts the female at the end of the headers ?)

This is where i am fucked !!!

Is there anything in writing i could study (think, read over and over and over again) untill i come to terms with the science of it !!

What back pressure would the 1050 really enjoy ?

How do ya measure it, (i know ! Dyno) or is there any sort of equation ya can work here like !

My header pipes are 38mm OD 3 of each .>>
Into a 3nto1 collection box (aprox 100 per pipe and 100 of collecting into 1 cast so 200 long) with exit pipe of 44mm OD about 220mm long .>>>
Which then hits a 50 mm OD mid pipe 300 mm long and OEM 955 carbon can 400 mm long with an exit of around 48mm ID so apart from bends of the mid pipe its pretty much straight through !

Where are the genius's that can teach me what back pressure i have ?

The stock 1050 headers have a baffle just after the collection box Why ? (As OEM it splits into 2 x 35 mm OD pipes onto the OEM cans) Do i use it or loose it ?

I have just scored a US made stainless Jardine can which is 500 mm long (not too heavy) but sounds far TOO quiet, can this CAN be shortened ? Loudened ?
Now this pipe also has a large dia pipe 55 ID aprox or 57 OD (short mid pipe so will have to be replaced)
It will prolly decrease back pressure using this larger size pipe or should i look at smaller dia ?
Ditch the muffler and find something smaller ?

Back pressure = drive out of corners ?
Lack of BP = revs ?

Now i think i go in to corners pretty hot, (Don't correct me here, prove me wrong) so i'd rather not lose that advantage in exiting them by losing any drive) which is why i'm here, aksing (sp) you fellas !

Have just gone up 2 teeth on the back gearing, as i've found i'm lagging in the exit of higgins and dunlop, No problem there with turn 1 and the hairpin, i'm having to learn all about power slides and the effects of, if not handled correctly in T1 spech !
But i won't go too far into that story lol ! Taupo mmmm think the lower gearing will only speed me up there ! (see on friday)
But again how to controll BP and utilise it ?