PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Wellington do rebores?

hmmmnz
22nd February 2009, 21:13
i bought a kh125, but the barrel is seriously scored, basically i need to see if its reboreable
anyone know if any one win the wellington area who does it??

Sketchy_Racer
23rd February 2009, 17:22
Hey mate, are you in a rush for it?

I can do it in the next week or two.

I'll rebore, Hone and relieve the ports for $100

hmmmnz
23rd February 2009, 22:02
no hurry,
but $100 sounds sweet,
i think ill need to show you the bore to see if its even possible to rebore,
currently the bore according to my verniers is 56.76mm
and from the groove to the outer wall is 57.30 mm so the bore would have to be bored out 1.08mm so a rebore to 57.84 at the minimum
the standard bore and stroke on the bike is apprently 56 x 50.6 im not sure when they say bore they actually mean the bore or if its the piston diameter and the bore is actually slightly larger.
so whether i can get a 2mm overbore piston is debateable, i have managed to find 1.5mm os piston and rings but im not sure that'll be enough

elevenhundred
25th February 2009, 11:47
Sorry for the hijack but Sketchy Racer would you be able to help me with a cam cap bolt that has sheared off in the head of my GSX1100?
I've drilled out a few exhaust bolts by hand in the past but wasn't keen to try it on the cam bolts so have been trying to locate a bike friendly engineering service in Wellington.

Sketchy_Racer
26th February 2009, 16:53
no hurry,
but $100 sounds sweet,
i think ill need to show you the bore to see if its even possible to rebore,
currently the bore according to my verniers is 56.76mm
and from the groove to the outer wall is 57.30 mm so the bore would have to be bored out 1.08mm so a rebore to 57.84 at the minimum
the standard bore and stroke on the bike is apprently 56 x 50.6 im not sure when they say bore they actually mean the bore or if its the piston diameter and the bore is actually slightly larger.
so whether i can get a 2mm overbore piston is debateable, i have managed to find 1.5mm os piston and rings but im not sure that'll be enough

Let me know some time when I can come round and have a look, if you like you can come here, but hard to say untill i've seen it. You will need to have the new piston kit before I machine it though, even new piston diametres alter, especially on cheaper ones.

Sketchy_Racer
26th February 2009, 16:57
Sorry for the hijack but Sketchy Racer would you be able to help me with a cam cap bolt that has sheared off in the head of my GSX1100?
I've drilled out a few exhaust bolts by hand in the past but wasn't keen to try it on the cam bolts so have been trying to locate a bike friendly engineering service in Wellington.

Hey there, is the head off the motor? If so i'll just drill out the bolt (im not a fan of ez outs, if they snap in there your stuffed unless you have access to a spark eroder) and put a recoil in there, which will be stronger than the original thread and the bolt wont seize in there due to the reaction of dissimilar metals which is the likely culprit of your current problem.

If you give a me a PM with and address I can come pick up if it's in the welly region.

Cheers,

-Glen

hmmmnz
27th February 2009, 16:29
well these are my options as they stand at the moment,

option 1. i can buy a 2mm o/s piston and ring set for 22 quid plus about 10 quid for postage to nz, then get it rebored

option 2. i can buy a complete bike in the uk for 50 quid get my mate to pick it up and send the barrel and piston and a few other bits over, probly 30 quid postage.. but unsure of the condition of the barrel...

option 3. buy a new standard and rings 18 quid including postage, and then get the guys in wanganui make and resleeve my barrel for $325 which will leave me with up to 7 more rebores,

Sketchy_Racer
28th February 2009, 11:14
Ok option one = roughly $90 for the piston, then if I do the rebore another $100. Total = $190 but if 2mm is the last oversize then you can't bore it out again if the piston shits itself and demos the bore.

Option 2 will mean around $170, and it's quite a risk, plus you paying the price for second hand items where you could renew your current one to like new for another $20 and no risk.

Option 3 would be the one to take if you were planning on keeping it for a long long time, but it is costly. $50 for the piston kit plus $325 for the sleeve = $375.

Im surprised at how cheap you can get a sleeve made, that is quite impressive.

hmmmnz
28th February 2009, 11:50
they were far and away the cheepest, the 2 other companies i called quoted me in excess of $700, and the bike just isnt worth that, if the bike was in mint condition and had wof and rego... which its not and hasnt, it would probably only fetch 1000 if i were lucky, i just don't want to see another rotary valve die,

if i went the whole bike route i would probably get a new piston as well, but i would have to get my mate to strip it first and see how many rebores its had in the past, saying that the bike has only done 6000 miles so is probably still on the original bore, plus i get a few random parts as well, and anything he re-sells on ebay will be taken off the price,

i got a message from my mate in scotland last night, he has a ke125 that he's he's just got in and is wrecking, the only problem with using the ke barrel is that i have to use the ke exhaust as well, as the exhaust comes out on the wrong side (by wrong i mean the other side from the kh)

but that being option 4, i will get the barrel exhaust and piston for free, but will have to pay for postage from the uk... or wait untill im over there in may and put it in my pack and bring it back,

arghh decisions decisions