PDA

View Full Version : Resurfacing on Symonds street - road closures

motorbyclist
23rd February 2009, 13:14
Staff and students will be affected when part of Symonds Street is resurfaced next week.

Weather permitting, the resurfacing will be done between Sectors 300 and 400 from Thursday evening 26 February until Tuesday morning 3 March.

It will necessitate temporary closure of Symonds Street for most of 27 February, the entire weekend of 28 February to 1 March, and overnight for the rest of this period.

click here (http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/home/template/notice_item.jsp?cid=48792) to ensure your bike is not parked on symonds street while work is being carried out - the last bike we know to be towed to make way for roadworks lost it's wingmirror

enjoy :niceone:

Squiggles
23rd February 2009, 15:27
Monday (post 7am) the road should be open, but finishing touches to be applied Mon night is what i can gather from the emails i've recieved

motorbyclist
23rd February 2009, 16:04
hopefully the parking will be ready come monday - went through there today and what parking there was was largely inaccessible to anything with less than 10" rims and considerable ground clearance

might pay to bring a crushed can or something so we don't destroy the new seal with our stands

Phurrball
23rd February 2009, 17:20
Perish the thought they could seal the parking with something that does a prober job!

A parking puck is proactive and a good idea though.

ital916
24th February 2009, 03:08
click here (http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/home/template/notice_item.jsp?cid=48792) to ensure your bike is not parked on symonds street while work is being carried out - the last bike we know to be towed to make way for roadworks lost it's wingmirror

enjoy :niceone:

yeah but every man and his dog tried to steal that bike anyway haha

Squiggles
27th February 2009, 13:40
Due to bad weather, the resurfacing works on Symonds Street between the Grafton Road / Alfred Street intersection and the Wellesley Street over bridge have been postponed until 19 to 25 March - weather dependent.

Shits going to hit the fan come monday... Of the 150.5m we're supposed to have, only about 50 is currently accessible (Hopefully more by Monday but we'll only find out then...)
I've left a message with ACC to see if we cant "find" some places for temp parking, or at least have leniency for footpath parking till the area is cleaned up.
My advice: Seek alternative parking (CP36, OGG, etc)

Edit: No temp parking is planned, we're advised to find other places to park (funny that) until they're done. Request for some leniency has been passed on to parking.
So i guess i'll bring the camera next week and take some pictures for the transport meeting on the 10th :oi-grr:

ital916
27th February 2009, 20:08
lets get some tools and fix symonds street ourselves! The most marathon fix it day ever.

COME ON SMC.....CAN WE FIXT IT!? YES WE CAN!:niceone:

motorbyclist
27th February 2009, 22:36
that would be pretty epic, getting out some road cones, sectioning off a whole lane and erecting a sign reading "temporary bike parking"

of course they could just give back the alfred st parking, but then that could be considered a solution to a problem. we can't have that, especially as they were so determined to create the initial problem by closing that parking in the first place :rolleyes:

seriously, this is an fuckup of notable proportions of which i doubt the council realised - i'm especially thinking how bad this must look to all the international students, and students from outside of auckland, who in their first month of university are only going to see havoc which they may come to learn/realise is the result of fairly poor planning

macros87
27th February 2009, 22:40
i must say i was never too bothered by this since i got screwed with early classes this semester but after riding past and noticing how shitty and small the parking spaces are, i wouldnt be surprised i i didnt find any empty spaces at 8 or 9 in the morning...