PDA

View Full Version : zxr's ugly rattle

macros87
25th February 2009, 20:46
i have a friend with a zxr 250a, has a pretty ugly rattle that we suspect might be related to the cam chain or the tensioner, something along those lines... but we are not sure, we were hoping for any tips on what to look out for or how do we find out if that is actually the problem and needs replacing where to check, and what to check for etc... feel free to speak to me like a newb it will probably speed things along anyway. thanks

R6_kid
25th February 2009, 21:44
The tensioner is on the back of the head, they are known to be shit and need replacing after 30,000km or so. Been so long that I can't remember how much it is for the parts, but it's do-able at home if you've worked on engines before.

I think I paid about $400 in 2005 to get mine done, including parts and labour. I did the camchain on my GSXR1000 myself last year so if you want i'm happy to take a look and maybe guide you through the work (no responsibility on me of course!).

macros87
26th February 2009, 22:46
thanks for the offer man, but my friend felt bad about being an inconvenience to anyone, so he has found help closer to him :P thanks for the advice tho!