PDA

View Full Version : Moto Guzzi sump removal

MotoKuzzi
1st March 2009, 09:40
Any ideas? Iv'e removed all the bolts, levered down on the sump bolt while tapping a screw driver in the joint and every other trick I know but it won't separate. If use any more force I'm liable to break the casting. Any advice appreciated.

Guzzi-Mulisha
1st March 2009, 09:53
Did you get the four bolts on the under side of the sump.????

sidecar bob
1st March 2009, 09:53
I seem to remember a discussion with a Guzzi nut about a hidden bolt or two somewhere.
Have another look & meanwhile i'll see if i can raise him to find out where it is.

MotoKuzzi
1st March 2009, 09:57
Sorry folks, being the dumb half blind prick that I am I put my glasses on and had another look underneath and find that what i thought were casting pieces are in fact 4 mud encrusted bolts.:headbang:

Guzzi-Mulisha
1st March 2009, 09:59
LOL been there done that

98tls
1st March 2009, 10:00
Got a mate that when removing (trying to) his sump assured me that he had undone ALL the bolts,he had done the outside ones but not the 4 or so others,you probably have but just a thought.Edit yea those ones.

laRIKin
1st March 2009, 10:02
LOL been there done that

Most new Guzzi owners have been.
A trap for new players.:shit:

MotoKuzzi
1st March 2009, 18:56
Thanks for all the advice. Think I got target fixation. I did check the bottom of the pan 3* before I posted, but was looking for cap screws and didn't notice there were bolts. They were coverd in a fair bit of crap which didn't help nor did the fact I could only just squeeze my head under and being long sighted couldn't focus. I shoulda known when I was trying to force it apart and nothing was happening that it had to have bolts still in. But hey sometimes you just get past it and should take a coffee break and re-analyse the situation. :calm:

98tls
1st March 2009, 19:00
Methinks ya wont do it again mate.:2thumbsupif you do bet you dont post up telling us.Ive done worse,had my clutch cover off and it was late so just left it on the sidestand (no oil leaking) overnight but first thing in the morning had to get the car out of the garage so 1/2 asleep sat on bike and sat it upright to move it,yep oil everywhere.

Mc TOOL
5th March 2009, 11:50
If your guzzi has one of those poxy self retracting side stands , you may have missed the oppertunity to have a good look at your sump without getting underneath .( that didnt happen to me :shit: ). Any one got a good lh rocker cover for a 1974 850T ? or a alt rotor for same ?

The Pastor
5th March 2009, 14:51
The worst one (on my honda anyway) is when you forget to/dont remove the filter thinking, it dosent screw into anything........

Paul in NZ
6th March 2009, 05:22
If your guzzi has one of those poxy self retracting side stands , you may have missed the oppertunity to have a good look at your sump without getting underneath .( that didnt happen to me :shit: ). Any one got a good lh rocker cover for a 1974 850T ? or a alt rotor for same ?

Talk to Pete and Debs at Moto Kiwi. Really nice people...

Peter Kelly
Waiheke Island
New Zealand

Phone: (09) 372 5312
Fax: (09) 372 6244

http://www.motokiwi.co.nz/