PDA

View Full Version : Fixit day

rie
2nd March 2009, 10:50
i have an allballs kit to fix the steering wheel bearings (steering head). i need it for WOF. i was wondering if any of you have the right gear & be able to show me how to do it one weekend, or anytime on a friday. (i would be keen as to do it anytime someone is free, but i have classes till 7pm everyday :()

also... while most people seem to think i can ride to uni and back everyday, one mechanic told me the steering will seize up any second, and i will go flying off the bike. what do you think?

[squiggles - i didn't hear from you that weekend when it was pissing with rain so i assumed fixit wasn't going ahead. i'm sorry if you thought that i just didn't turn up. :mellow:]

edit: i forgot to mention that i can offer fuel vouchers/food/beverage/UBS vouchers?? for whoever can help me out! :)

Slyer
2nd March 2009, 10:56
Too many wheelies eh?
Go here:
http://www.cyclepedia.com/amember/login.php
Login: Slyer
Password: Password
Look under steering and there's a full guide with photos. :)

xwhatsit
2nd March 2009, 13:18
Did Squiggles tell you to piss off? I was going to go over to his place to do my steering head bearings too, as if I get stuck halfway it's my only transport and I'm screwed lol. Mainly interested in the use of his angle grinding skills as I witnessed on a VTR250 if the bastard things won't come out.

If you've got loose steering head bearings then I don't think they'll seize up (we are talking about steering head bearings here, not wheel bearings? They'll seize up and you'll go flying off). What's the issue is that when they wear, they're either loose and you'll get imprecise steering and possibly the bike will want to weave and wobble when you're going down the motorway. If you tighten up worn bearings then they're usually notchy in a straight line and when you go to drop into a corner it'll feel clumsy and won't want to turn at first.

I don't reckon they're particularly dangerous, no worse than your average factory-new Harley.

Squiggles
2nd March 2009, 14:07
Can do in the evenings this week if that works, will flick you a txt

rie
2nd March 2009, 17:18
]
we are talking about steering head bearings here, not wheel bearings?

sitting on its centrestand, the handlebars don't flop to the side when you push one end. it swings to the middle and gets stuck there.

did i buy the right kit? (allballs steering head)

so far i don't feel too much of a difference when riding. just a bit stiffer when turning corners (but hardly noticeable that this is possibly attributable to inferior-bike-complex after having ridden the 08 ninja? :buggerd:)

Slyer
2nd March 2009, 17:32
Bah, as if it's inferior. Is the same bike. ;)

McJim
2nd March 2009, 17:39
Bah, as if it's inferior. Is the same bike. ;)

Only from a physical perspective. From a marketing point of view it's totally different and the 2hp loss (the 08 has 2 hp LESS than the GPX) is glossed over much of the time.....:rofl:

FROSTY
2nd March 2009, 17:40
bring it to the Kb spanner evening

HungusMaximist
2nd March 2009, 17:55
Either all, Frosty can probably help also. And yea, if ant working get off your lazy ass and switch to a push bike like me, get your fitness up and tightens up your bum muscles. You know you tap that shit!

Btw, where the heck is the KB fix it thread?

The Stranger
2nd March 2009, 19:18
I have all tools, jacks, hoists, hydraulic press etc here.
You can do it yourself or I can help, or do it for you, whatever suits you.
That goes for anyone who wants to work on their bike or needs a hand.

motorbyclist
2nd March 2009, 20:39
I have all tools, jacks, hoists, hydraulic press etc here.
You can do it yourself or I can help, or do it for you, whatever suits you.
That goes for anyone who wants to work on their bike or needs a hand.

tyre levers/press? your place in te atatu?

The Stranger
2nd March 2009, 20:44
tyre levers/press? your place in te atatu?

No tyre levers, some bloody big screw drivers and some pinch bars. So long as you don't want to use the removed tyre again you should be right.

Also have a rubber mallot - yes, you can change a tyre with a rubber mallot.
Yeah at my place in Te Atatu.

macros87
2nd March 2009, 21:17
yeah we really need a fix it day, since chris stole the last one!