PDA

View Full Version : New speed camera on Symonds St

breakaway
5th March 2009, 05:54
Hi,

I saw what looks like a speed camera yesterday that has JUST popped up on Symonds St (Near the intersection of Grafton Bridge / K Rd / Symonds St).

It's on the left if you're headed away from the universities (W/ Grafton Bridge / Southern motorway on-ramp on your left).

It faces backs of the cars / bikes as well, (i.e. in the direction the traffic is moving) so be careful.

I'll see if I can get a pic, unlikely though.

Can anyone else confirm?

Edit: Also saw 3 unmarked cop cars yesterday on Mt Eden rd, so please try to keep stupid shit to a minimum :p

Squiggles
5th March 2009, 07:02
Pretty sure thats a red light camera and has been there since mid last year

HungusMaximist
5th March 2009, 07:08
Nice of you to notice however, like Squig mentioned, it's been there since last middle of last year. There were a massive police campaign targeting red light runners and had a story running on TV1 Close Up.

The great thing is, nobody seems to notice it...

disenfranchised
5th March 2009, 07:28
It's a bit fancier than your average red light camera...but that could be because it was part of the campaign to spend $36million on 50 cameras round the country.
It has a second unit beside it which could just be the sensor separated from the camera, but who knows, maybe it can operate as a speed camera too?

Marmoot
5th March 2009, 08:07
Hi,

I saw what looks like a speed camera yesterday that has JUST popped up on Symonds St (Near the intersection of Grafton Bridge / K Rd / Symonds St).

It's on the left if you're headed away from the universities (W/ Grafton Bridge / Southern motorway on-ramp on your left).

It faces backs of the cars / bikes as well, (i.e. in the direction the traffic is moving) so be careful.

Oh wow. The end is nigh! The end is nigh!

WTF are you doing "to worry about speed camera" around there anyway. If you have even a half braincell you wouldn't be doing such thing there. Not around that particular place.

The graveyard is just right around the corner, and it's there for a reason.

Slyer
5th March 2009, 09:56
Give him a break he's just trying to be helpful...

Marmoot
5th March 2009, 10:11
Give him a break he's just trying to be helpful...

actually, I was trying to be helpful.

motorbyclist
5th March 2009, 13:58
ignoring the fact that it's been there for a while, and only just noticing that now is a bit of a worry (perhaps discovery by mail?), no sane person would run that red light.

that said, i'm yet to meet a sane person driving on auckland's roads

klyong82
5th March 2009, 14:52
Its been there on December 07 .... there are a fair few in the Auckland CBD....there's 1 on Hobson street, 2 on wellesley street, 1 on victoria st....

breakaway
5th March 2009, 15:08
Oh wow. The end is nigh! The end is nigh!

WTF are you doing "to worry about speed camera" around there anyway. If you have even a half braincell you wouldn't be doing such thing there. Not around that particular place.

What? Why ride a 1000cc bike if I can't show off to the ladies waiting at the bus stop??

Also can anyone tell me if it'll get my plate if I'm up on one as I'm crossing the red light?

Finn
5th March 2009, 15:14
It's a new red light camera. There a new one on Wellesley St by the Art Gallery too.

As you approach it (when red) just inch forward and you'll get a flash. I do this every day just so some prick at Council has to process it.

Marmoot
5th March 2009, 15:24
What? Why ride a 1000cc bike if I can't show off to the ladies waiting at the bus stop??

Say again? How would that get you their numbers?

Now, if you look cool while stopped, that's different.

breakaway
5th March 2009, 15:27
Usually I just pull up after the wheelie and one just hops on.

macros87
5th March 2009, 15:51
so thats what that is, i always wondered who the hell would speed at the particular spot, and just before/after the light depending where you are going, the i realized they probably knew what they were doing when they put it there (well i sincerely hope they knew what they were doing). and ive been running thered light really slowly all this time hoping to not set off that camera no wonder it wasnt working :)

Marmoot
5th March 2009, 16:20
Usually I just pull up after the wheelie and one just hops on.

Boys under 12 don't count.

breakaway
5th March 2009, 16:37
Nah I meant the hot uni going chicks aye

Cayman911
31st July 2010, 12:58
so im fully reviving this long gone thread again.

i just ran that light today. fully by accident. was green. then looked up again was yellow. thought it just turned yellow so i just went for it. but turned red just as i passed and i could not stop.

should i be expecting a fine? its not like i did it on purpose :(

Gremlin
31st July 2010, 13:30
no don't worry, there's an exemption for "accidentally running a red light, I really didn't mean to".

This may not be entirely true...

Cayman911
31st July 2010, 13:40
yes its quite easy to make fun. thanks for that.
and i actually didnt mean to.like i was in a hurry or something. i just thought it was gonna stay yellow. for more than half a second

aand i just looked it up on beehive website

failing to comply with red traffic signal will attract a fine of $150 and 75 demerit points;

holy pineapple i already have 25 points for no L plates from like 6 months ago:O

Toot Toot
31st July 2010, 14:32
Current red light cameras in Auckland City are :

Intersection of Nelson St and Victoria St West.
Intersection of Ponsonby Rd and Hopetoun St
Intersection of Symonds St and K' Rd/Grafton Bridge
Intersection of Wellesly St East and Mayoral Drive /Kitchener St(Near the Art Gallery).

I go through them a lot and get flashed, but I'm allowed too :)

Cayman911
31st July 2010, 15:04
why are you allowed?

Antonio
31st July 2010, 15:04
http://www.depot4motorcycles.co.nz

Squiggles
31st July 2010, 15:05
why are you allowed?

Ambo driver

Cayman911
31st July 2010, 15:07
Ambo driver
ohh, thats cool

and damn. thought there was a way out for me.

motorbyclist
31st July 2010, 15:14
IIRC you can't get demerits from speed cameras, so i assume the same applied for red light ones too (can't prove it was you personally riding the bike/driving the vehicle)

however, you need to seriously consider the implications of what you did; you ran a red light oblivious to what was happening. If a car driver did that KB would be up in arms about it! If you went through a second later you might've been yet another symonds street motorcycle statistic - bonus points for it being another biker you hit as he gunned across the intersection.

wake up.

breakaway
31st July 2010, 22:26
You wouldn't have had this problem if you were on the back wheel, numberplate facing the ground and all.. Try that next time.