PDA

View Full Version : Rain tyres, cut slicks.

racefactory
6th March 2009, 20:35
Had a blast not so long ago with a couple friends at the little track at albany stadium in the rain. It's just so much fun in the rain having to know exactly what lean angle you can go to, and how you have to be so careful with pushing the front on brakes.

We were using good old zhongya slicks, but even with the pressures real low we couldn't get any heat into the tyres really.

I know there are those grooved tyres that come with the air cooled bikes but i have found them to be simply draconian, i even low sided on those in the DRY before getting my knee down. They have a weird shape and deform easilly too.

So basically does anyone know where to get some rain tyres that aren't too expensive?

Would it be possible to cut the zhongya slicks? If so, how can i go about doing that?

DELLORTO
6th March 2009, 21:13
ummmmm i definitly wouldnt cut tires.....id get some propper PMT rain tires....before the groupies start telling you to buy sava's id go on www.midsothminimoto.com and get some real tires!

Z1_ZPF_BOY
6th March 2009, 22:00
you said you wanted some 'not to expensive' tyres... just had a look on the net. Theres a Zhongya tyre made for the wet... you could see if greg stocks them

Ray LeCheminant
6th March 2009, 22:11
ummmmm i definitly wouldnt cut tires.....id get some propper PMT rain tires....before the groupies start telling you to buy sava's id go on www.midsothminimoto.com and get some real tires!

LOL - Hey Max - groupies follow, I lead matey....so I ain't no groupie!!!! :bleh:

Todd, we use SAVA tires, ...most people will admit SAVA are the best tyre in the rain....Connor ran Taumaranui last weekend, and in practice it was pissing down, and he had it full noise on SAVA slicks....no issues....

Contact Greg at greg.o@xtra.co.nz or www.xminimoto.co.nz

xtreme
7th March 2009, 07:44
Max

If you are going to run products and people down , I suggest you do what Imdying suggested you to do in the other post.
I think everyone is over how good you think you and your bikes are.
Grow up !! You always have to go one better.
Im sorry , but you certainly arent making any friends by carrying on like this.

Cheers Greg

DELLORTO
7th March 2009, 08:18
its getting just alittle bit annoying....i mean every time i try to sell something or give advice people run me down.....it getting to the point where im getting pissed off :nono:

DELLORTO
7th March 2009, 08:20
LOL - Hey Max - groupies follow, I lead matey....so I ain't no groupie!!!! :bleh:

Todd, we use SAVA tires, ...most people will admit SAVA are the best tyre in the rain....Connor ran Taumaranui last weekend, and in practice it was pissing down, and he had it full noise on SAVA slicks....no issues....

Contact Greg at greg.o@xtra.co.nz or www.xminimoto.co.nz

your the lead groupie :Punk:

Ray LeCheminant
7th March 2009, 08:45
your the lead groupie :Punk:

Let's all :Playnice: and enjoy the sport we love so much....

No more :girlfight:

Let's just concentrate on :scooter:

:cool:

So Max, when you coming back to Taumaranui?...or will you concentrate on Hastings....

imdying
7th March 2009, 08:54
Let's all :Playnice: and enjoy the sport we love so much....Yeah, you guys are pretty quick to react sharply to each other... where's the love? :confused:

Y'all should just be happy your bikes go... we perpetually have 1 out of 3 running :lol:

Greg, we may need to talk about a spares package, not having much fun at the moment (although this ain't the ZPFs fault, more my fault for losing the master link on the chain you sent me... tiny little beyatch has gotta be somewhere... where, I'm not sure :whistle:) Man it goes like a rocket, but takes ages to get onto the powerband, so naturally I tried to fit the larger sprocket.... which is when I found I'd lost the link.

Z1_ZPF_BOY
7th March 2009, 09:01
Yeah, you guys are pretty quick to react sharply to each other... where's the love? :confused:

Y'all should just be happy your bikes go... we perpetually have 1 out of 3 running :lol:

Greg, we may need to talk about a spares package, not having much fun at the moment (although this ain't the ZPFs fault, more my fault for losing the master link on the chain you sent me... tiny little beyatch has gotta be somewhere... where, I'm not sure :whistle:) Man it goes like a rocket, but takes ages to get onto the powerband, so naturally I tried to fit the larger sprocket.... which is when I found I'd lost the link.

Malcolm...your CLUTCH is your friend.....give Dad a call and he will tell you how to set it up.....makes the world of difference

Ray

imdying
7th March 2009, 10:44
Yup, I've been enabled at the minimoto forum, so I'll get my trusty camera out and we'll talk in the tech section there. Perhaps someone else in the future will find the info useful too.

Crimped some little 1/4" eyelets onto some 1.5mm inner cable this morning, and I've made some new outers with a plastic inner. When I've some free time (wedding today sadly) I'll make some new outer end holders, add some adjusters, and make some levers with about 15mm less length. Bit of luck that'll give me a better chance of getting some performance out of the brakes. Had another good go at them last night, but you can't set them up to not drag, and still lock the front wheel (i.e. you can still turn it by hand with the brake on full). Won't require much though, if you crank the levers just a little more, they operate correctly. The left disc has a high spot, haven't checked it for runout yet, but it's either bent or has some build up. I guess they're not expensive though.

Ray LeCheminant
7th March 2009, 10:58
http://minimotonz.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?t=100&mforum=minimotonz

Re the brakes, we made a couple of minor adjustments, but I am really keen to see the modifications you are undertaking. The biggest gripe I have with the ZPF brakes is the twin cable setup for the front.....caplier end ok, but I am more talking about the lever end.

Clutch...Malcolm, drop me a line and I will tell you a couple of tricks with the ZPF Clutch Setup

Ray
and remember ZPF talk http://minimotonz.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?t=100&mforum=minimotonz

DELLORTO
7th March 2009, 16:04
Let's all :Playnice: and enjoy the sport we love so much....

No more :girlfight:

Let's just concentrate on :scooter:

:cool:

So Max, when you coming back to Taumaranui?...or will you concentrate on Hastings....

cool, im going to go to hasting soon.....but probualy jsut going to go to tokaroa.....im dont think 3.5 hours in a car is worth it for a daytona....:mad: but id be keen for tokaroa because ive never been there before......i should organise a meeting at silverdale sometime

Ray LeCheminant
7th March 2009, 16:13
cool, im going to go to hasting soon.....but probualy jsut going to go to tokaroa.....im dont think 3.5 hours in a car is worth it for a daytona....:mad: but id be keen for tokaroa because ive never been there before......i should organise a meeting at silverdale sometime

I'd love to get a meeting going at Silverdale, I would even have a run myself on the 2nd ZPF....could be a laugh!!

Have you managed to get some interest in the GP3 reps?

Ray LeCheminant
7th March 2009, 16:16
Yup, I've been enabled at the minimoto forum, so I'll get my trusty camera out and we'll talk in the tech section there. Perhaps someone else in the future will find the info useful too.

Crimped some little 1/4" eyelets onto some 1.5mm inner cable this morning, and I've made some new outers with a plastic inner. When I've some free time (wedding today sadly) I'll make some new outer end holders, add some adjusters, and make some levers with about 15mm less length. Bit of luck that'll give me a better chance of getting some performance out of the brakes. Had another good go at them last night, but you can't set them up to not drag, and still lock the front wheel (i.e. you can still turn it by hand with the brake on full). Won't require much though, if you crank the levers just a little more, they operate correctly. The left disc has a high spot, haven't checked it for runout yet, but it's either bent or has some build up. I guess they're not expensive though.

Something I have been meaning to do is to change the cables on our ones, some of the guys claim that the chinese cables stretch too much....might try that one out. Greg provided us with a new lever for the front, just got to modify it slightly to take the twin cable....but ZPF_BOY don't like PINK levers....LOL....:doh:

DELLORTO
7th March 2009, 16:27
I'd love to get a meeting going at Silverdale, I would even have a run myself on the 2nd ZPF....could be a laugh!!

Have you managed to get some interest in the GP3 reps?

ive sold one, and the other one im keeping because i bulit it out of 2 bikes {a daytona 1 & daytona 3}

i used to organise silverdale meetings but after i wipped out and got knock-out, but now im confident again. June is the right time to go or your bikes will overheat

grantman
7th March 2009, 17:06
Hi Max
Silverdale in the winter sounds good

I know your organised some last year
Getting knocked out cant have been good ...gets me worried for us older guys
bones are as flexable nowdays
:slap:

DELLORTO
7th March 2009, 17:12
Hi Max
Silverdale in the winter sounds good

I know your organised some last year
Getting knocked out cant have been good ...gets me worried for us older guys
bones are as flexable nowdays
:slap:

its a pretty lethal place if you get too confident

xtreme
8th March 2009, 05:49
Hi All

Indoor will kill the ZPF's , with heat

Cheers Greg

DELLORTO
8th March 2009, 09:49
Hi All

Indoor will kill the ZPF's , with heat

Cheers Greg

not in winter....we had b1's running

Gadgit
8th March 2009, 11:30
Ok and back on subject.....
The china made wets are not much to write home about ... infact on a dry day they slip round more then the china made slicks...
Most of the people I have been racing with that have tryed both PMT and Sava slick tyres are more then happy to run a Sava in the wet over a PMT and yes I can talk on this subject because I have run both on my duke.
Never seen a PMT wet on the track and as far as I'm awear noones bought them into the country.
I have seen Sava wets in action twice and was very impressed being the rider was over half a lap ahead of the rest of the field.
Sava wets are so good that a PMT tyre importer got a set for his son to ride on what kinda volume dose that speak??

orange
8th March 2009, 17:56
to buy a set of pmt wets from midsouth is going to cost you $440 plus shipping and i am sure sava wets are cheaper than that by $100?
I have race on sava wets and they are Goood, you can get your footpegs scrapping and they have never let go.
It is really simple if you want to win in the wet run sava as pmt's it's all slip sliding away.

Ray LeCheminant
8th March 2009, 18:11
to buy a set of pmt wets from midsouth is going to cost you $440 plus shipping and i am sure sava wets are cheaper than that by $100?
I have race on sava wets and they are Goood, you can get your footpegs scrapping and they have never let go.
It is really simple if you want to win in the wet run sava as pmt's it's all slip sliding away.

Orange......you answering your mobile? :girlfight:

xtreme
8th March 2009, 19:33
Hi all

Go the Savas !!!!! ( i had to say something !!! )

Max
The ZPF's radiator is about half the size of a B1 radiator, so pretty risky.

Cheers Greg

DELLORTO
8th March 2009, 19:46
Hi all

Max

Cheers Greg

but b1 radiators are about as effciant as a petrol powered microphone.......

Ray LeCheminant
8th March 2009, 19:50

LOL....you wouldn't want to be smoking whilst using the petrol powered microphone...

I think Greg maybe right....the ZPF does get a little toastie....

Hey Greg, we should invent a super duper water injection, spray thingy, water cooling device.....

Ray LeCheminant
8th March 2009, 19:52
Hi all

Max

Cheers Greg

Talking of Sava's - you sending mine up tomorrow boss???

Need those BNT stickers too dude...got the other ones....will drop the Orange a line for some more of his....

Gadgit
9th March 2009, 08:23

So this would say to me that the ZPF indoor would be as effcianive as a petrol powered mic without gas.....??

imdying
9th March 2009, 09:06
We have a basic computer style fan battery fan adaption in mind that'll hopefully sort it out. Just need to make a wee temperature sensing circuit to run it... little (read light weight) batteries won't run for long, so no point running it when it doesn't need to be.

Having said that though, could a ZPF realistically be ridden with that low a gearing (low enough for such a short track)?

DELLORTO
9th March 2009, 15:24
So this would say to me that the ZPF indoor would be as effcianive as a petrol powered mic without gas.....??

...dono when silverdale has its barn like doors opens its alright

Z1_ZPF_BOY
9th March 2009, 17:06
so max, when is this Silverdale meeting?:scooter:

DELLORTO
9th March 2009, 17:35
in june, we'll have proper races and trophy's :wari: i just need to organise it more

Z1_ZPF_BOY
9th March 2009, 17:43
What about the funding for hiring out the track? i wod expect it to be rather pricey...:crazy:

DELLORTO
9th March 2009, 19:20
What about the funding for hiring out the track? i wod expect it to be rather pricey...:crazy:

$40 person......but if we have about 25 people it would be about $20 a person:wari: