PDA

View Full Version : Moto Guzzi electrics?

MotoKuzzi
7th March 2009, 12:10
Ok I'm over the sump bolt blooper on my '97 California and now delving in to why my RH plug is fouling. I had the lead tested and it came up good but when I run it with the plug out so I could see the spark it didn't look strong and actually stopped sparking for a second or so every now and then. I decided to remove the LH plug and run it on RH cylinder for a comparison of the spark and the LH side looked more regular but the motor wouldn't run at idle on the RH side for more than a few beats suggesting it's definitely weaker. I'm suspecting RH coil is at fault. Any one got any other suggestions? Should the spark across the plug gap be blueish?, 'cause it was more yellowish both sides I thought.

Paul in NZ
7th March 2009, 18:11
Erm...

a 97? Points or electronic ignition?

MotoKuzzi
7th March 2009, 18:18
Erm...

a 97? Points or electronic ignition?

EFI, must be one of the early ones.

hmmmnz
7th March 2009, 20:57
well the first thing to do is swap the coils over and see if that improves the spark, bear in mind just because a plug sparks out of the engine it doesnt mean it will under compression,.

if it still sparks irregularly using the left hand coil on the right sides wiring,
then the next thing is the pick up coils, and if they check out, then the only thing left is the ecu

but check back after changing the coils over

awayatc
7th March 2009, 21:03
swap coils as suggested,
look at wiring-especialy earth....
bad earth on the coil ( rust)

Paul in NZ
8th March 2009, 07:40
Also - check the ignition trigger on the crank. They can get dirty.

MotoKuzzi
8th March 2009, 07:58
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm probably getting to the limit of my competence in this area but will swap coils and check the earths and ignition trigger whatever that is and see how i get on. Hope like hell it's not the ECU, but knowing my luck it will eventually lead back to that.

MotoKuzzi
8th March 2009, 08:16
Dont mind me !
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=94147
l'm still an optimist at this point.:whistle:

TripleZee Dyno
8th March 2009, 11:27
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm probably getting to the limit of my competence in this area but will swap coils and check the earths and ignition trigger whatever that is and see how i get on. Hope like hell it's not the ECU, but knowing my luck it will eventually lead back to that.
Hi
Unlikely to be ECU but if it is give us a yell and we might be able to sort something out for you. if the bike is on the road bring it in, I have a spark "tester" which will tell us if its a coil/driver problem
cheers

MotoKuzzi
8th March 2009, 15:31
Hi
Unlikely to be ECU but if it is give us a yell and we might be able to sort something out for you. if the bike is on the road bring it in, I have a spark "tester" which will tell us if its a coil/driver problem
cheers

Thanks TZ might just do that, I'm in a bit of a black hole area for me knowledge wise. I work just down the road from you so could drop in after work bout 2.30 ish

Paul in NZ
8th March 2009, 17:28
Erm....

If you get stuck - ask for directions here..

http://www.guzzitech.com/

I had a quick scan of Guzziology. You probably have a motoplat ignition (known as the motosplat)

Check the pickup to reductor gap. If you don't have this 'right' you can get these weird harold symptoms. Also, the pickups are magnetic so tend to pick up all kindsa shit.

Early injected models have a pickup mounted in the engine case behind the r/h cylinder that senses 'bumps' on the flywheel. All model have a pickup over the cam/timng-shaft gear/sprocket.

Sometimes a bit of loose ferrous shite from the ring gear will stick to the pickup located under the r/h injector. Simply pull out the injector and clean it off...

Honestly, spend a few bucks on a copy of Guzziology.

MotoKuzzi
8th March 2009, 19:35
Cheers for that. Didn't realise this was going to get so complicated.

Paul in NZ
8th March 2009, 20:11

Its not complicated - it's a moto guzzi ffs... Its about as simple as a motorcycle can get without being a bicycle BUT they do have their own ways. If it was a Jap 4 potter it would soldier on until it got so difficult you would just bin it ;-)

MotoKuzzi
9th March 2009, 18:33
Its not complicated - it's a moto guzzi ffs... Its about as simple as a motorcycle can get without being a bicycle BUT they do have their own ways. If it was a Jap 4 potter it would soldier on until it got so difficult you would just bin it ;-)

Main reason I bought it in the first place, thinking I could manage the basic technology, but when it comes to ECU's and how they operate it's all a learning curve at the moment. TZ checked out the spark output at the plugs for me tonight and reckons it's more than sufficient, but I will have a crack at cleaning those sensors out of curiosity if nothing else. He thinks part of the problem on the rhs could be slight oiling not what i wanted to hear necessarily. I suppose i can live with that for the time being as long as I can ride it with a degree of reliability.

Paul in NZ
9th March 2009, 20:14
Main reason I bought it in the first place, thinking I could manage the basic technology, but when it comes to ECU's and how they operate it's all a learning curve at the moment. TZ checked out the spark output at the plugs for me tonight and reckons it's more than sufficient, but I will have a crack at cleaning those sensors out of curiosity if nothing else. He thinks part of the problem on the rhs could be slight oiling not what i wanted to hear necessarily. I suppose i can live with that for the time being as long as I can ride it with a degree of reliability.

Hence my recommendation for Guzziology - it's essential reading for simple folks like me... End of the day, if bozo's like me and that dodgybugger can keep our old Guzzi shitters running it's not that hard. EFI can seem tricky but it's not really but so are the twin points set ups....

The other thing you will need to set (at some point) is the TPS but apparently it's simple. :devil2:

Get onto a septic guzzi site and ask away - the cali is much loved there and they have a gazzillion of em... (oh and ring Pete at Moto Kiwi)

Oh - one thing I will recommend, faffing about with the ignition is just one step. You should always try and baseline the tappets etc first. If the valve clearances are not right, airfilter cleaned etc it will never run properly.

MotoKuzzi
14th March 2009, 19:13
Erm....

If you get stuck - ask for directions here..

http://www.guzzitech.com/

I had a quick scan of Guzziology. You probably have a motoplat ignition (known as the motosplat)

Check the pickup to reductor gap. If you don't have this 'right' you can get these weird harold symptoms. Also, the pickups are magnetic so tend to pick up all kindsa shit.

Early injected models have a pickup mounted in the engine case behind the r/h cylinder that senses 'bumps' on the flywheel. All model have a pickup over the cam/timng-shaft gear/sprocket.

Sometimes a bit of loose ferrous shite from the ring gear will stick to the pickup located under the r/h injector. Simply pull out the injector and clean it off...

Honestly, spend a few bucks on a copy of Guzziology.

Cleaned the ring gear pickup behind the rh cylinder and the one on the cam chain today. The rh cylinder one was marginally dirty and had obviously been out before because the top cap screw washer was missing, but found it stuck to the underside of the pick up. Don't know if that would affect it, but I felt that it was running better today, a bit more smooth and responsive in accelaration.

Taz
14th March 2009, 19:48
Well done in strating your apprenticeship in tractor mechanics.

If you sit and stare at it long enough you can get a degree in anchor design.

MotoKuzzi
15th March 2009, 06:38
Well done in strating your apprenticeship in tractor mechanics.

If you sit and stare at it long enough you can get a degree in anchor design.

I started tractor mechanics about the age of 7 on the old mans Ferguson 35, it's when they apply modern technology (ECU / fuel injection) to old style mechanics that I'm fucked. :confused:

Ixion
15th March 2009, 08:42
Eytalian electrics? OK here's what you need to do.

Walk three times round the bike, widdershins. Let all the air out of the rear tyre. Walk three times round the bike , dalseil. Now inflate the rear tyre while someone alternately sounds the horn and flashes the main beam. When the rear tyre is reinflated turn ALL lights on for EXACTLY 17 seconds, then all off. Sorted. Works for Alfa Romeos anyway, I think it's generic for Eytie electrics.

dangerous
15th March 2009, 09:04

there is nothing complicated about a Guzzi... just watch us sort it for ya

haha...

MK... here is a site to keep an eye on aswell when I got my 1st Guzzi I couldent have done with out it http://morini.com.au/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=6d6839acb14eaca563046fdeabf57883
INJ Guzzi are easyer to maintain than the carbs, just check for good earthing (MG in 97 loved fixing earths to thick paint) and have a couple of Bosch 0 332 207 307 relays in the boot incase the shity Semins fail.

laRIKin
15th March 2009, 11:26
Eytalian electrics? OK here's what you need to do.

Walk three times round the bike, widdershins. Let all the air out of the rear tyre. Walk three times round the bike , dalseil. Now inflate the rear tyre while someone alternately sounds the horn and flashes the main beam. When the rear tyre is reinflated turn ALL lights on for EXACTLY 17 seconds, then all off. Sorted. Works for Alfa Romeos anyway, I think it's generic for Eytie electrics.

I have found, Bones and a rattle, a camp fire and a good dance.:msn-wink:

Sorry I have been holding this back for days.
What is it with the guys that design the electrical systems on these Italian bike's.
Like all the parts are good it is just the way they connect them.
And best of luck, you will find the problem soon I'm sure.

Paul in NZ
15th March 2009, 16:10
What is it with the guys that design the electrical systems on these Italian bike's.
Like all the parts are good it is just the way they connect them.
And best of luck, you will find the problem soon I'm sure.

Its not just italian bikes... Hondas, yams. they have all had 'issues'. Its a trade off between $$, weight and quality. The electics on all bikes are really vunerable, more so than a car..

The circuitry is just appalling in some cases and then theres the light weight wires, crappy connectors etc etc... Having said that, mines been pretty good once a few mods were made...

MotoKuzzi
15th March 2009, 16:50
Checked the rhs plug today after a 160km ride to the classic m/c display in Hams, looks a lot better to me than it did so maybe crap on the sensor was part of the problem. Good info from everyone thanks. Ixion haven't tried your solution yet but it appeals to my sense of humour. ;)

laRIKin
15th March 2009, 17:24
Its not just italian bikes... Hondas, yams. they have all had 'issues'. Its a trade off between $$, weight and quality. The electics on all bikes are really vunerable, more so than a car..

The circuitry is just appalling in some cases and then theres the light weight wires, crappy connectors etc etc... Having said that, mines been pretty good once a few mods were made...

I think you are right with the crappy connectors.
I have been around Italian bike's for a long time.
I know of guys that did nothing part from change the connectors to soldering the wires together and having no connectors at all and all their
electrical problems went away.