PDA

View Full Version : Accident SH16 tonight, help needed (12 March)

Happybug
12th March 2009, 20:50
HI guys, we were cruising up SH16 tonight, and just before the Kahikatea Flats Road turn off one of our bikes went down. Just opposite the church there is a left hand corner. This corner is all tar. It has no grip. When i went over it it felt like oil was on the road. We all need to phone the council and demand they fix it. Would appreciate as many of you as possible phoning in. I saw lots of riders go past tonight - to all of you, rider was ok, a few broken bones, and the bike wasn't rideable. We were doing about 70km, taking it safely and still this experienced rider went down. Lets get the road fixed so no one else suffers.

Mom
12th March 2009, 20:54
Sorry to hear this, what time did the accident happen? Hope the rider (was that you?) makes a full, uncomplicated recovery.

Happybug
12th March 2009, 20:56
Wasn't me. I took the corner and slid a bit, but managed to stay upright. I was very relieved to make it. I saw him go down in my mirrors. He'll be fine. A lot better than the bike i suspect.

BOGAR
13th March 2009, 07:04
Ring this number as well.
0800 444 449
It is the Transit Highway information number (TREIS = Transit Road Event Information System) and the appropriate Contractor will be called to at least be told about it (can't promise it will be fixed but mention the accident as well and it might get a better chance of it).

Nasty
13th March 2009, 07:23
HI guys, we were cruising up SH16 tonight, and just before the Kahikatea Flats Road turn off one of our bikes went down. Just opposite the church there is a left hand corner. This corner is all tar. It has no grip. When i went over it it felt like oil was on the road. We all need to phone the council and demand they fix it. Would appreciate as many of you as possible phoning in. I saw lots of riders go past tonight - to all of you, rider was ok, a few broken bones, and the bike wasn't rideable. We were doing about 70km, taking it safely and still this experienced rider went down. Lets get the road fixed so no one else suffers.

Did you get pictures ... pictures of the road will help force the hands of those who can do the work ...

BIGBOSSMAN
13th March 2009, 08:37
That's a particularly disgusting road surface there, I overtook a car travelling towards Helensville on that same stretch on my ZX10R last year in the wet, I gently accelerated past the car (wet road, must be cautious) and the rear tyre broke traction and the bike almost spat me off (feet off pegs, opposite lock type of moment). It scared the shit out of me, I was at 4000rpm or less - what if I was higher in the rev range eh?
The road is like a polished mirror, no grip whatsoever and dangerous as hell if there is any moisture present.
Hope your mate is ok, it's a death trap waiting to happen :angry2:

EatOrBeEaten
13th March 2009, 08:40
Was that the dark-coloured CBR? We passed it last night, saw your mate getting laoded in the ambo. Here's wishing him a speedy recovery :)

TOTO
13th March 2009, 09:07
So As I understand it was this corner ---> http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=-36.626825,174.50057&daddr=Kaipara+Coast+Hwy&hl=en&geocode=%3BFdUj0f0dirBmCg&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=14&rtol=1&sll=-36.61601,174.501772&sspn=0.048707,0.077162&ie=UTF8&z=14

Am I correct ?

Just so I know how to explain when I call up t o the council.

Pixie
13th March 2009, 09:44

It's NZTA's responsibility (NZ Tits & Arses ) They resealed this road twice in the past year and believe it or not it was ok before they resealed it.

Good luck getting any action from the wankers

Pixie
13th March 2009, 09:48
That's a particularly disgusting road surface there, I overtook a car travelling towards Helensville on that same stretch on my ZX10R last year in the wet, I gently accelerated past the car (wet road, must be cautious) and the rear tyre broke traction and the bike almost spat me off (feet off pegs, opposite lock type of moment). It scared the shit out of me, I was at 4000rpm or less - what if I was higher in the rev range eh?
The road is like a polished mirror, no grip whatsoever and dangerous as hell if there is any moisture present.
Hope your mate is ok, it's a death trap waiting to happen :angry2:

This is the exact thing that happened to a biker I was following except it was in the dark and he fell off,I stopped my car in the road with hazzards on so following drivers didn't run him over.
The biker didn't know what happened and thought he hit something

trustme
13th March 2009, 12:35
Seems a fair few of us have had a scare on that corner. Watched my mate break traction on that bend, both ends let go for an instant, & he was headed for the wrong side of the road with lots of oncoming traffic. Scary & bloody lucky.
Will send an email to LTSA.
Hope your mate makes a full recovery.

skidMark
13th March 2009, 12:47
$5 says the ginger had been out with a bottle of oil...

Gremlin
13th March 2009, 13:15
So As I understand it was this corner ---> http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=-36.626825,174.50057&daddr=Kaipara+Coast+Hwy&hl=en&geocode=%3BFdUj0f0dirBmCg&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=14&rtol=1&sll=-36.61601,174.501772&sspn=0.048707,0.077162&ie=UTF8&z=14

Am I correct ?
Yep, thats the one TOTO.

Guy was heading from Peak end to Kahikatea end, so a downhill left hander...

Starky307
13th March 2009, 13:32

I hope I never meet this ginger cop from west Auckland I've heard so much about.

All the best with your friends recovery and I'm sorry to hear about the accident.

The New Zealand really government needs to clean up the appraoch to road maintnenace that appears to be standard through out the country, "slap some tar and chipseal on top and she'll be right mate" just doesn't cut it.

ManDownUnder
13th March 2009, 13:44
Maybe they could put a wire rope barrier there to stop bikes going into the wrong lane too??? (p/t)

Hey sorry to hear about the off. Hope the bike doesn't cause too much heart or financial pain. Hope the body's ok soon too.

SPman
13th March 2009, 14:06
That corner!
Surely everyone is doodling, having come down Peak road at some pace.......
yeah - NZ road repairs leave a lot to answer for......seems to be private contractors and no checking on their efforts...

EatOrBeEaten
13th March 2009, 14:09
I was cursing the state of NZ roads, until it was pointed out to me that NZ is the size of the UK (sort of), so has the same amount of roads, but a tenth of the taxpaying population to pay for it!

Still a pain in the arse though, what we need are some chain gangs... ;)

Happybug
13th March 2009, 17:54
Really appreciate you helping by phoning in.

Am I correct ?

Just so I know how to explain when I call up t o the council.

Happybug
13th March 2009, 17:57
Have heard he's had surgery for the broken bone and is ok. No real update on the bike yet. Sounds like it's fixable.

Was that the dark-coloured CBR? We passed it last night, saw your mate getting laoded in the ambo. Here's wishing him a speedy recovery :)

Happybug
13th March 2009, 17:59
Very lucky nothing was coming the other way. He ended up in the ditch. I'm really peeved that this accident happened. It shouldn't have.

Seems a fair few of us have had a scare on that corner. Watched my mate break traction on that bend, both ends let go for an instant, & he was headed for the wrong side of the road with lots of oncoming traffic. Scary & bloody lucky.
Will send an email to LTSA.
Hope your mate makes a full recovery.

Happybug
13th March 2009, 18:07
trouble is that would mean they'd miss their soaps on their tv's in their private rooms.

Yes we do have less tax payers, but we also have a higher vehicle to population ratio. Cars in NZ are treated as a necessity as opposed to a luxury. If this is the case, lets not be half hearted about it, lets give the vehicles a proper surface to operate on.

And economically, isn't it cheaper to fix the road than pay for the hospital, ambulance, police attendance - especially if it's fatal?

I was cursing the state of NZ roads, until it was pointed out to me that NZ is the size of the UK (sort of), so has the same amount of roads, but a tenth of the taxpaying population to pay for it!

Still a pain in the arse though, what we need are some chain gangs... ;)

SixPackBack
13th March 2009, 19:38

Dude thats pretty close to the edge..........

PirateJafa
14th March 2009, 15:26
Pretty sure it was a Katana when we went past?

Gremlin
15th March 2009, 00:18
The one between peak and kahikatea flats was definitely a blackbird

Happybug
15th March 2009, 07:12

A firestorm and a repsol were parked beside it.

Happybug
16th March 2009, 09:35
Because it's a state highway council won't touch the road. WE have to ph NZTA (transit nz). Council will take the complaint and give you a reference number to put the complaint through.

vagrant
16th March 2009, 10:40
Perhaps we should put John Keys on the distribution list as well. After all, it is "his" bit of turf.