PDA

View Full Version : What mods have you guys done for more lean angle/better ground clearance?

racefactory
14th March 2009, 10:23
Don't you guys find these things are terrible as far as ground clearance goes? You can't get any lean angle past 45 degrees without highsiding off from scraping the peg. I've only got zhongya tyres but i feel they are WAY capable enough for these bikes, you can easilly pull a full lean angle with front brake on and it is miles from running out of leaning grip, stable as anything at full lean. I reckon zhongyas alone feel like they got probably 55 degrees or so lean angle, who agrees?

It's not good when your banking it over full tilt on a fast corner and you touch the hard solid peg on the ground and the back kicks out and wiggles threatening to spit you over the side of the bike!!! I think everyone knows what i'm talking about here lol!

These bikes are cramped for room already, i wonder if it would be possible to have a still REASONABLY comfortable bike with 55 degree lean angle possible?

I'd be interested to know what mods you guys have done for more lean angle.

I can't see it being possible to have enough clearance to lean far enough to run out of lean due to traction, especially with Sava's or something

Marmoot
14th March 2009, 14:23

Bigger gonads.

That, or brain reduction.

And for your question, first generation R6 is capable of 57 degrees lean angle.

Taz
14th March 2009, 14:33
I cut my feet off and can lean a bit further now.

BigAl
14th March 2009, 19:54
Shortest possible pegs at 65mms, allowing knees to slide.
Don't know what lean angle but quite often have both Savas sliding and knee holding it up, great fun:cool:

racefactory
14th March 2009, 21:32
Bigger gonads.

That, or brain reduction.

And for your question, first generation R6 is capable of 57 degrees lean angle.

You do realise we are talking about mini bikes here right?

CookMySock
15th March 2009, 06:14
Shorten the pegs and put your body weight out rather than the bikes' weight - slide your arse out and put your shoulders out.

Steve

driftn
15th March 2009, 07:28
Hang off it.

Marmoot
15th March 2009, 10:36
You do realise we are talking about mini bikes here right?

i wonder if it would be possible to have a still REASONABLY comfortable bike with 55 degree lean angle possible?

ahem?.....

FROSTY
15th March 2009, 10:44
There is actually an inter college mini bike thingee run every year. The guys that won seemed to go for longer frames to fit a normal person--either that or use a kid to race
I do need to ask though --do you want more lean angle because you need it or because your ego demands it?
why not change your line so you dont need more than 45 degrees?

racefactory
15th March 2009, 14:41
Hi there,

I like to have more because it always makes you nervous when you know your cm's away from high side or kicking back end out.

The fact is the tyres can handle a lot more, why not give it more.

Yes of course i am leaning off the bike, shoulders, head down and out etc, i just feel there is a lot more in the tyres.

DELLORTO
15th March 2009, 18:26
There is actually an inter college mini bike thingee run every year. The guys that won seemed to go for longer frames to fit a normal person--either that or use a kid to race
I do need to ask though --do you want more lean angle because you need it or because your ego demands it?
why not change your line so you dont need more than 45 degrees?

if we had a inter college minimtot race that would be awsome!!

id win too easily though......so would connor

FROSTY
15th March 2009, 18:38
if we had a inter college minimtot race that would be awsome!!

id win too easily though......so would connor
Dude--seriously you need to talk to your engineering teacher. It happpens once a year at Manfeild

CookMySock
15th March 2009, 18:38
I do need to ask though --do you want more lean angle because you need it or because your ego demands it? why not change your line so you dont need more than 45 degrees?Uh, have you not seen these guys race? It's pretty intense, especially the watercooled bikes.

Steve

DELLORTO
15th March 2009, 18:50
heres a picture of me leaning!

{im on the blue bike with the silver helmet} this is as low as you caN GO!!!!!!

CookMySock
15th March 2009, 20:02
heres a picture of me leaning! {im on the blue bike with the silver helmet} this is as low as you caN GO!!!!!!Take a ruler and place it on this picture, through the centreline of your front tyre and up through the triple tree, and through your shoulders and helmet.. Oops! It doesn't go through your helmet does it? Your body mass is outside the centerline of the bike - it should be inside.

Do the same ruler thing on the guy in front of you. See his weight is toward the inside of the corner, not the outside? That is why he is in front of you.

You are leaning the wrong way bud - that's why you are scraping stuff - you are sitting up and pushing the bike down. As you approach the corner hang your arse off the inside (of the corner) of the seat, hold pressure on the opposite bar, put your shoulder out, and LEAVE IT OUT, and then take the corner. Art and science combine!

Steve

DELLORTO
15th March 2009, 20:11
Take a ruler and place it on this picture, through the centreline of your front tyre and up through the triple tree, and through your shoulders and helmet.. Oops! It doesn't go through your helmet does it? Your body mass is outside the centerline of the bike - it should be inside.

Do the same ruler thing on the guy in front of you. See his weight is toward the inside of the corner, not the outside? That is why he is in front of you.

You are leaning the wrong way bud - that's why you are scraping stuff - you are sitting up and pushing the bike down. As you approach the corner hang your arse off the inside (of the corner) of the seat, hold pressure on the opposite bar, put your shoulder out, and LEAVE IT OUT, and then take the corner. Art and science combine!

Steve

....the guy in front of me is peter van....hes an ex 125gp champion......hes on a 7hp bike and im on 5hp......and i was right up his arse the whole time.....im not exactualy new to the sport i know how to corner......

imdying
16th March 2009, 08:17
heres a picture of me leaning!

{im on the blue bike with the silver helmet} this is as low as you caN GO!!!!!!Have you considered leaning into the corner instead of away from it? The bike is as low as it can go, but it looks like you could go a lot lower, which means to get around the corner at the same speed, you won't have to lean the bike as much.

Or does that not apply to minimotos?

Morcs
16th March 2009, 11:41
Do these bikes have rear monoshocks?
If they do, just make up a spacer/raiser for the rear shock. Even a couple of mm would make a difference.

Fatjim
16th March 2009, 13:06
Mate, do you have enough room/flex to be able to get your elbow down as well?

Gadgit
16th March 2009, 13:25
....the guy in front of me is peter van....hes an ex 125gp champion......hes on a 7hp bike and im on 5hp......and i was right up his arse the whole time.....im not exactualy new to the sport i know how to corner......

Power to weight Max ... thats why your right up behind him. Same reason we dont race senior with Junior classes... When a lifetime rider with alot more years under his belt trys to give you help with your riding style to make you go faster then you should take it... not atemped to shoot him down with two years racing minimoto under ya belt... I'v been racing for 5 years and am happy to receve construtive comments like DB offered you.

Gadgit
16th March 2009, 13:27
If they do, just make up a spacer/raiser for the rear shock. Even a couple of mm would make a difference.

No suspension man... All fixed

CookMySock
16th March 2009, 13:37
If they do, just make up a spacer/raiser for the rear shock. Even a couple of mm would make a difference.They have no suspension what so ever. :no:

If you are prepared to look like a total newbie for an hour (seriously, I'm not joking! these things are not like road bikes), turn up on practice day with your road gear on and show some interest, and ask for a ride. They are crazy-stupid to ride, especially the watercooled open-class bikes. (be ready with the back brake when the front comes up.) Yes, when, not if.

Steve

imdying
16th March 2009, 13:42
Mate, do you have enough room/flex to be able to get your elbow down as well?Yup, I've down donuts round a road cone, with the cone tucked into my knee, and my shin, boot, knee all scraping. I kept falling off whilst trying to get my elbow down, but I reckon that someone could do it.

Tone165
16th March 2009, 14:35
Don't you guys find these things are terrible as far as ground clearance goes? You can't get any lean angle past 45 degrees without highsiding off from scraping the peg. I've only got zhongya tyres but i feel they are WAY capable enough for these bikes, you can easilly pull a full lean angle with front brake on and it is miles from running out of leaning grip, stable as anything at full lean. I reckon zhongyas alone feel like they got probably 55 degrees or so lean angle, who agrees?

It's not good when your banking it over full tilt on a fast corner and you touch the hard solid peg on the ground and the back kicks out and wiggles threatening to spit you over the side of the bike!!! I think everyone knows what i'm talking about here lol!

These bikes are cramped for room already, i wonder if it would be possible to have a still REASONABLY comfortable bike with 55 degree lean angle possible?

I can't see it being possible to have enough clearance to lean far enough to run out of lean due to traction, especially with Sava's or something

Buy a Harley!!!!!

Sarcasm does not fly too good in text, but you ARE taking the piss right?????

Ooops!

That'll learn me for not reading the whole thread!!!!!!!

chelseapar
16th March 2009, 15:19
why you ride thi scooter. very small motorcycle. you not like fast? look baeutiful most though. can ride on road in NZ?

DELLORTO
16th March 2009, 15:23
Power to weight Max ... thats why your right up behind him. Same reason we dont race senior with Junior classes... When a lifetime rider with alot more years under his belt trys to give you help with your riding style to make you go faster then you should take it... not atemped to shoot him down with two years racing minimoto under ya belt... I'v been racing for 5 years and am happy to receve construtive comments like DB offered you.

ive actualy been riding 3 years :shit: i had a pocket rocket :Punk:

ive done
*13 mt wellington race meetings
*2 silverdale race meetings
*4 taumaranui race meetings
*1 hawkes bay meeting

and alot of street riding.....i dont mind people giving me tips when their better riders than me, but when someone is less expirenced than me i dont feel i have to listen..........i havnt been around motorbikes in just the last few years......i do motorcross and now i also do bucket bike racing...and before all that i did goped racing back in 2005 & 2006 and early 2007......

orange
16th March 2009, 16:51
And we are all slow and would get our arse kicked if we raced in Itlay. hands down

DELLORTO
16th March 2009, 17:12
And we are all slow and would get our arse kicked if we raced in Itlay. hands down

amen!!! :laugh:

BigAl
16th March 2009, 20:14
I don't know about that Orange, they aren't very fast in Venice:oi-grr:

DELLORTO
16th March 2009, 20:14
why you ride thi scooter. very small motorcycle. you not like fast? look baeutiful most though. can ride on road in NZ?

go back to crazyville!! :crazy:

p.s: WE ALL KNOW YOUR NOT AN ASIAN!

BigAl
16th March 2009, 20:17
ive actualy been riding 3 years :shit: i had a pocket rocket :Punk:

ive done
*13 mt wellington race meetings
*2 silverdale race meetings
*4 taumaranui race meetings
*1 hawkes bay meeting

and alot of street riding.....etc
Gee you are very experienced:confused:

DELLORTO
16th March 2009, 20:22
Gee you are very experienced:confused:

is that sarcasim i sense alan??

orange
16th March 2009, 20:49
talking about the boys in the two itlay championships

racefactory
17th March 2009, 20:17
Buy a Harley!!!!!

Sarcasm does not fly too good in text, but you ARE taking the piss right?????

Ooops!

That'll learn me for not reading the whole thread!!!!!!!

Sorry, what? No of course i'm not.

I race on a pretty dark and smooth surface, very grippy, get's very hot in sun. I've seen the mt wellington kart track in person and i think it probably wouldn't have quite as much grip, especially the sweeping turn onto the start/finish line, that's pretty bumpy! So on a hot day honestly there is an absolute ton of grip available... and the bike feels like it could turn so much faster if it had that more clearance. I mean turning as hard as you can, it's steady, front end is far from being pushed, feels like lot's more room for some more turning force, even on zhongyas.

The thread was really supposed to be quite simple, what experience have people had in extracting more clearance out of these things. I guess people haven't really felt the need to? I was just wondering. :niceone:

I have since the time of this thread modified my pegs a bit which is certainly giving me more confidence to bank it over more, but still i feel there is a lot more speed in the machines turning. Will have to learn how to weld i guess!