PDA

View Full Version : Gsxr 400

Mr.B
16th March 2009, 13:59
Ok so its official, I know less about bikes than I thought:Oops:, and really need help now.

So I bought the bike off trade me late January, everything seemed fine. Then about 3 weeks ago it seized on the motorway. Got it home and opened the engine up (here the fun starts) found that it destroyed 2 main bearings, so me being as a “noob” as I am with this, got a new bottom end from Southern Suzuki.

Built the engine up and got the timing done at Suzuki in North Shore City. Put the bike together and engine fired right up. So far so good, thought so at least. When I wanted to pull out of the garage and take the bike for around the block, I realized that it has no power. The bike idles fine, and revs perfectly, but as soon as I let go of the clutch, it’s as if the bike has no power and just dies.:crybaby:

Now the old engine I could turn by hand, even after it packed up. Now after the new engine got put together it’s really hard to turn by hand. I thought that it might be leaking/sucking air somehow, or that the valve clearance could be wrong? Does anybody have an idea of what to do, or what could be wrong?

sosman
16th March 2009, 19:57
Sorry bud I know jackshit about motors

bump!

FruitLooPs
16th March 2009, 20:46
If the top end had work the compression change could result in it being harder to turn over, otherwise i don't really see how it would be any different.

Not much to offer really, if you're right out of gas except for a bit in the carbs you could have the bike rev out cleanly without load only to starve and stall if you try to ride off, same with a mix that's way out of whack.

Doesn't make much sense though since you're using the same carbs and setup as before yeah?

Nothing silly like a gear selector switch that would kill the engine? worth checking everything if you've just done major work on the bike. :) Often have clutch switch too, if thats missing or broken then it would cut the engine

Mr.B
17th March 2009, 22:57
can n e of you give me details of some1 that can have a look at it and maybe fix it?

t3mp0r4ry nzr
18th March 2009, 11:23
best to bite the bullet and take it the bike shop.

kiwifruit
18th March 2009, 11:28
I've got a 91 gsxr400 motor with a stuffed bottom end (hole in crankcase) if you need parts.

MSTRS
18th March 2009, 11:37
Is it possible that the gearbox has been re-assembled 'back-to-front? Meaning that you are trying to move off in top...

The Pastor
18th March 2009, 14:35
is it possible that the gearbox has been re-assembled 'back-to-front? Meaning that you are trying to move off in top...
yes, this happend to me (i didnt put it back to gether, someone else did) and it took a bit of time to figure it out!

Mr.B
19th March 2009, 00:16
well it th ebullet for me, phonin 2m to take it in... :oi-grr:

Just wane get it fixed..

Thx mr fruit.. will let you know, everythin should b ok.. but then again if all was ok.. it would be running..

awayatc
19th March 2009, 04:46
sounds strange.....when in gear nothing blocking your wheel?...(brakes or something stupid?) Can you push it when in 4 th or 5th gear? (remove sparkplugs)
Does it shift through all the gears and the bike can still be pushed through all the gears?
It sounds to me like a gearbox/clutch/or drive problem......
Let us know what the outcome is please.
Good luck

Mr.B
24th March 2009, 21:21
Hey guys... just an update.
i dropped the bike off at Chris (queen street) today, so will let you guys know what he tells me is wrong..

if it s really small issue, i did warn that i dnt knw n e thing hey:yes:

:rockon:

Mr.B
27th April 2009, 13:42
:Oi:Update...

Chris is a master..
he fixed a couple of things but it all came down to the Carbs and some air leak. this weekend that passed i just got my hands on a newish set, so that will be installed this week..

some come the weekend, it should all be sorted..

:2thumbsup:beer:

Mr.B
1st May 2009, 16:55
:done:

Finally got my bike back (in one piece) and she's running as smooth as ever.

As for what was wrong, an air leak, and a BAD set of carb's.