PDA

View Full Version : Bus Lanes, The Motorway, and Bikes

motorbyclist
20th March 2009, 08:53
Apparently the motorway bus lane speed limit is 50kph....

And it's more dangerous to use that instead of split incase someone dives into the bus lane to avoid an accident.... splitting is technically illegal but it's nt going to be a problem if you're sensible.

And bikes can't use the motorway bus lane - it's illegal after all.

My ticket will arrive in the mail.

PirateJafa
20th March 2009, 08:57
Of course bikes using the motorway buslane is illegal you clod. There's only 1.2 MILLION threads about it on KB.

And knowing your license state - were there any demerits involved?

Slyer
20th March 2009, 09:09
zomg, Andrew, really.
I had better expectations for you.

Squiggles
20th March 2009, 09:34
My ticket will arrive in the mail.

And you knew it all, so htfu. :cool:

NOMIS
20th March 2009, 09:45
plead ignorance like i did twice and you get a warning, "sorry officer what seems to be the matter" lol.. happend twice to me in 3 day's 1st cop agreed and then goes oh maybe you are allowed lamo... 2nd cop new better and when i told him about 1st copa he said he dont know what he talking about and explained the differnece between transit / bus and bus only lanes to me.... *yawn* let me off anyway - just said to re adjust my number plate so it wasnt at a 30 degree angle.

End of day bus lane is safer than splitting and they all know it. be alot less bike crashes and near misses if it did become legal for us to use.

NOMIS
20th March 2009, 09:47
Perhaps something we can write to whom ever about? ...... I mean the have them in other countries and in AKL city... why not the mway as well.... petition perhaps.? i dunno

Magua
20th March 2009, 09:52
Perhaps something we can write to whom ever about? ...... I mean the have them in other countries and in AKL city... why not the mway as well.... petition perhaps.? i dunno

It's been covered before. Transit runs the motorways and wont let bikes on. Different rules.

Ragingrob
20th March 2009, 10:14
Ah you douche! Something fun to talk about at the chiller though! :bleh:

macros87
20th March 2009, 11:19
you were aware of the implications of using the motrway buslane and still used it, suck it up :)

motorbyclist
20th March 2009, 13:22
plead ignorance like i did

yep i did, didn't work. thus the thread.

you were aware of the implications of using the motrway buslane and still used it, suck it up :)

i don't think my tone carried well throught the keyboard.

yes i knew full well it was illegal, but after passing countless cops breaking this rather stupid law this is the first to pull me up - and this was one of two i passed on the same stretch; the first is issuing the ticket but the 2nd was intructed to pull me up over (1st in far right lane, 2nd was in left lane) it even though he says he wouldn't have done so otherwise. to be honest he didn't seem at all convinced ith his own explanations either

heck he wasn't even sure how much the fine was going to be. considering i just got declined for $10 i think it's going to be a course related cost anyway

macros87
20th March 2009, 14:33
oh sorry, sounded like you were complaining, well its always when we get comfortable and think something is safe to do that shit goes wrong

Waxxa
20th March 2009, 15:28
lane splitting is LEGAL. But its bloody dodgy.

I cant understand why bikes cant use the Bus Lanes on the m'way. Damn safer than 'splitting.

CookMySock
20th March 2009, 15:33
splitting is technically illegaluhh pardon?

Steve

Magua
20th March 2009, 15:39
uhh pardon?

Steve

Most of the time you're undertaking, therefore breaking the law.

macros87
20th March 2009, 15:53
oh right you mean ilegal as in when you split on the left side of a car, well that cant be helped

ital916
20th March 2009, 17:21
Most of the time you're undertaking, therefore breaking the law.

ahh but there is no such thing as undertaking in nz, just like how there is no overtaking, fast, medium and slow lanes lol. Bloody nz road rules are silly.

Gubb
20th March 2009, 17:33
ahh but there is no such thing as undertaking in nz, just like how there is no overtaking, fast, medium and slow lanes lol. Bloody nz road rules are silly.

???

Do you pay any attention to the road?

Ragingrob
20th March 2009, 19:07
???

Do you pay any attention to the road?

No, no he doesn't. No wonder he didn't know he was actually undertaking Hanne in the same lane on an onramp to the motorway around a corner when she didn't have a mirror so couldn't even tell he was there!

CookMySock
20th March 2009, 19:10
Naw you just do a lane change to the left lane, then pass them on the right. Nothing illegal about that. Yeah don't pass the car in front of you on the left - ilegal! ;)

Steve

Real_Wolf
20th March 2009, 23:42
Yeah, undertaking is illegal. Lane splitting can be viewed technically as overtaking, but as such, you must have your blinker on to indicate that you are overtaking.

You can actually get a ticket (if the cops are really pissed/looking for tickets), for not successfully indicating while "overtaking"

Edit: Oh, and when my mate got a crash from undertaking a parked car in the middle of the road, he checked the actual roadcode, and its legal to undertake IF and only if, the car is in the middle of the road and not moving, such as turning right or for some unforseen reason, broken. This assumes that its not a different lane the car in the middle of the road is in.

motorbyclist
21st March 2009, 01:16
lane splitting is LEGAL. But its bloody dodgy.

uhh pardon?

just repeating what the cops said.

something to do with undertaking etc....... does anyone else dislike using that term purely for the pun it entails?

Whynot
21st March 2009, 02:35
I think this speaks for itself

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/safety/2750428/The-truth-about-bikes-and-bus-lanes.html