PDA

View Full Version : Honda CBR 600 overheating

josephrf
21st March 2009, 07:55
Hi,

I ride a Honda CBR 600. My question is when I am riding continous like on the motorway the bike stays cool, but the minute I come into the city and am in low gear, stuck in traffic, idelling, etc the bike starts to overheat, stutter and even shuts off. The tempature sky rockets. The bike starts up immediately and actually cools down if I take it back onto the motorway or ride it at a good consistent speed. I never had this problem before.

Anyone know what the problem could be? Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Joseph.

Tony.OK
21st March 2009, 08:25
Sounds like the fan ain't coming on..............had the same issue with a VTR1000.
Check all your fuses, make sure the fan hasn't seized.
Its normal for a bike to get hot in town, but if its cutting out then somethings wrong.

discotex
21st March 2009, 08:46
Mate's Hornet 250 had the same thing. The temp sender that triggered the fan was broken. Looked at the price of a new one and laughed lots - then wired up a manual switch.

Being a 250 it doesn't heat up that fast so it works quite well. I'd say doing that on a 600 would mean you'd need to leave the fan on all the time or end up looking at the temp gauge every 2 mins so better to replace the sender.

It's easy enough to test by grounding the right wires and stuff. The service manual should cover this exact scenario.

Morcs
21st March 2009, 09:20
Do you have an aftermarket muffler, air filter, anything like that?

an engine will run hotter if its running a bit lean.

josephrf
28th March 2009, 17:11
thanks for the suggestions guys. After your suggestions I checked the fan and it never comes on. Also might need to check the coolant.

I will need to get the bike looked at by a mechanic

roadracingoldfart
28th March 2009, 19:24
thanks for the suggestions guys. After your suggestions I checked the fan and it never comes on. Also might need to check the coolant.

I will need to get the bike looked at by a mechanic

And if its overheated at all you need to replace the thermostat.

quickbuck
28th March 2009, 21:30
And if its overheated at all you need to replace the thermostat.

Good point, well raised.

Mine has never actually overheated... mainly because when I ride into the (little) city I park it and walk. All other trips are on open road.
However when I pulled it apart to do the plugs last year I notices there was a stone glued to the fan with Tar! A little gift courtesy of out local roading contractors..... Oh wait, they did build Manfeild...
May be it was a piece that was supposed to be delivered back to the track....

I digress, now that I have taken the stone out of the fan, I'm still yet to hear it come on. It really never gets that hot... and I haven't ridden it since Jan 10th!