PDA

View Full Version : Driver eyesight test problems

klingon
21st March 2009, 23:01
An article from the 'News' section of the Consumer website:

Driver eyesight test problems
27-Feb-2009

Machines for checking drivers' eyesight started appearing in driver licensing centres about 10 years ago.

They work fine for most people: the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) says 96.5 percent of people pass the eyesight test on these machines. Every year the screening checks pick up more than 5000 drivers who need corrective lenses.

But there are a few people (about 2.5 percent of driver licence applicants) who fail the machine test - even though they don't need glasses. These people have to pay for an examination by an optometrist or doctor to certify that their vision's okay.

If this happens to you, can you get your costs reimbursed? NZTA spokesperson Andy Knackstedt says refunds will be considered on a "case-by-case" basis.

NZTA should be doing better than this. You should get a refund as a matter of course if a professional eye examination shows there's nothing wrong with your vision.

As a member of the 2.5% of the population who can see perfectly but can't use the AA eye testing machine, I couldn't agree more!

Despite having better than 20/20 vision, the way I use my eyes (one at a time) means I will never be able to pass a test using that stupid machine! So as I progressed through the class 6 licence system I had to pay for three professional eyesight tests at $50 a pop. That's $150 extra on top of the approx. $350 it costs just for the standard fees!

Unfortunately I had no idea I could apply for a refund from NZTA, and have not kept my receipts. :doh:

However I would like to encourage everyone who is currently going through the process to apply for a refund. When you apply, it might help to refer to the article in question as a bit of backup. If your application for a refund is rejected, please also let Consumer know.

http://www.consumer.org.nz/newsitem.asp?docid=5458&category=News&topic=Driver%20eyesight%20test%20problems

White trash
21st March 2009, 23:10
Here's the kicker. I can't even see the machine. What does it look like? Someone please explain it to me so I know what I'm supposed to look into.

rainman
22nd March 2009, 00:26
Despite having better than 20/20 vision, the way I use my eyes (one at a time) means I will never be able to pass a test using that stupid machine! So as I progressed through the class 6 licence system I had to pay for three professional eyesight tests at $50 a pop. That's $150 extra on top of the approx. $350 it costs just for the standard fees!

Hey, me too. (Freaky). Apart from the bit about paying $150 extra. When they ask me to read a line, I look with my left eye, start reading, switch to my right, and finish the line that way. :blink:

Easy. No sense in having "software fusion" if you're not gonna use it!

LBD
22nd March 2009, 01:49
When I do the read the letters test and cover one eye (does not matter which first), I can read fine but when I switch eyes, it takes a few seconds for the second eye to adjust leaving a ? period but when adjusted I can read fine....Is it just me?

MsKABC
22nd March 2009, 09:03
Hubby was in a similar position. Not 20/20 vision, but he still couldn't use their machines. Had to get an optometrist certificate at each stage, as they cannot be more than 60 days old. Bet he didn't keep his receipts either!

klingon
22nd March 2009, 11:03
Hey, me too. (Freaky). Apart from the bit about paying $150 extra. When they ask me to read a line, I look with my left eye, start reading, switch to my right, and finish the line that way. :blink:

Easy. No sense in having "software fusion" if you're not gonna use it!

:doh: Now you tell me! It never ocurred to me to cheat on the test! :rolleyes:

Anyway who are you calling Freaky, you weirdo? :bleh:

klingon
22nd March 2009, 11:07
When I do the read the letters test and cover one eye (does not matter which first), I can read fine but when I switch eyes, it takes a few seconds for the second eye to adjust leaving a ? period but when adjusted I can read fine....Is it just me?

Nah, that's apparently quite common. I have a friend who got her learner's a few weeks ago and she said the AA woman was very kind and suggested she look away from the machine, out the window into the distance to adjust her eyes before looking back at the machine.

Apparently if you've been doing close work all day (like looking at a computer screen) your eyes need a while to adjust, and the same when you switch from eye to eye.

Not that I would know. Being a one-eyed freak and all. :Pokey:

LBD
22nd March 2009, 12:01
Being a one-eyed freak and all. :Pokey:

We is all a bit one eyed a lot of the time.....

sunhuntin
23rd March 2009, 07:54
i had the same trouble. looking with both eyes, i could only see the left and middle boxes. first time round, i got an optometrist cert [covered by winz as my license was so i could travel to and from work] and when i sat the restricted, i read the first 2 boxes, covered my left eye and then read the remaining box. piece of piss, lol. and while i do have a lazy eye [the left one] which can cause double vision if im extremely tired, it doesnt affect my general vision as i passed the eye check with flying colors.

3umph
23rd March 2009, 08:33
Each time I renew my license it is an optometrist cert... and I always get it prior to doing my renewal...

I do wear glasses but don't need them for driving but have scar tissue in the center of one eye so classed as legally blind in that eye even thou i have all the peripheral vision so sight with both eyes is good...

Hawkeye
23rd March 2009, 11:01
Same for me! Always fail the machine, always have to get the cert.
Done the test for the cage $50. 7 months later 6L test $50, 6 months later 6R $50, 6 months later 6 full $50. $200 on top of all of the other charges.

captain_andrey
23rd March 2009, 14:26
Yeah those machines are a pain, quite literally. I have better then 20/20 and it takes a while for my eyes to adjust for that machine. It feels like my eyes have no idea how far the object is and therefore fail to focus properly. I just take it slow and let my eyes focus back and forward a bit which actually hurts after a while.
Haven't failed one yet, but I took a good 30 secs just staring into the machine once before I even started.

steelestring
23rd March 2009, 14:45
I have had 6 failed tests, all needing eye examinations to go through with my licence stages.... i didnt get round to sitting my full cage for a while and let a eye cert expire after 60 days. This makes 7 eye tests @50 approx some more some less = $350.. My eyes are excellent one eye stronger than the other tis all 20/20+
Maybe only 1 receipt hanging round.... bummer eh?

slofox
23rd March 2009, 15:48
My eyes are totally fooked but I pass the machine test every time...

Mom
23rd March 2009, 15:57
As a member of the 2.5% of the population who can see perfectly but can't use the AA eye testing machine, I couldn't agree more!

And here was I thinking I was special. I dont have binocular vision so my brain overrides what my eyes see and lets me see what it thinks is right. Very frustrating sometimes. I had to get a certificate when I first got the new photo license, but have learned a little trick to avoid that cost each renewal. I simply do not rest my forehead against the viewer. I lift my head back a fraction and hey presto can see it perfectly. Just a hint there to avoid having to pay each step of the way.