PDA

View Full Version : KX80 doesn't run?

**KX80RIDER**
22nd March 2009, 13:03
Hi, I have a 1987 Kawasaki KX80 that has been working for a while but now I try to start it and it starts, idles high and shuts right off. It can't stay on. After that, its been a few times I removed my spark plug to take a look at it and I check on the tip of the spark plug and I see a green liquid on it (anti-freeze) and I wipe it and put it back in it and try to start it, it start but idles high and shuts right back off and can't start it if I try again. I don't know if its me that I put too much of it because when I added some the other day and went for a ride at my friends house and it was a bit hard to start when I was going to leave his place but started it and when i got back, I was turning into our driveway, I heard the idle drop a bit and it shut off and couldn't start it until then. That day, I changed the brand of oil to Castrol 2 stroke oil and added more anti-freeze (shouldn't of done that) and it can not stay on idling any more. Starts but like I said, idles up high and shuts back off. Can some body help me PLEASE??

Thank you!!!!!

LittleJohn
23rd March 2009, 12:02
KX's are simple machines. When was the last time a piston change was done??? Did you stick to the same fuel/oil mix ratio you used on the old oil??

If anti-freeze/water is inside the bore then either you have a hole or crack between the water jackets and the bore; or your head is not torqued correctly allowing water to get into the bore (will also need a new gasket). This could be the problem causing the lack of idle and not running.

What you need to do is determine how anti-freeze got into the bore, if it was a one off or whether it is constantly getting into there. A compression/head leak test should be able to determine if the head is leaking somewhere. Alternatively you will need to take the head off and get it inspected, this taking a lot more than a simple leak test. If you haven't done the piston in a longtime then it could be a good opportunity to do a top end rebuild at the same time.

If there is no water getting into the bore then the problem will be in you Carb. This may just need a clean-out or the air screw and idle setting changed.

**KX80RIDER**
23rd March 2009, 12:14
Hi, thanks for your time to answer my question! Well, the top end has been rebuilt a year and a half ago. I removed the top end today and i saw that between the area where the antifreeze goes in the cylinder and the bore, the head gasket was missing a piece at that spot where I guess, caused the antifreeze to go up in the bore and caused it to be impossible to start it. I'm pretty sure thats just it then.

Thanks much!

**KX80RIDER**
23rd March 2009, 12:17
Hi, thanks for your time to answer my question! Well, the top end has been rebuilt a year and a half ago. I removed the top end today and i saw that between the area where the antifreeze goes in the cylinder, but between the cylinder and the bore, the head gasket was missing a piece at that spot where I guess, caused the antifreeze to go up in the bore and caused it to be impossible to start it. I think that may be the only thing that caused it.

Thanks much!

LittleJohn
23rd March 2009, 12:50
Sweet as, happy riding once you get it all up and going. Remember that you should do your top end around evey 50 hours of engine running hours.

**KX80RIDER**
23rd March 2009, 13:56
By GOD! Well thanks for telling me that! Well first, I have to buy a whole new exhaust pipe and carb boot. I also have to reinstall the carb cuzz I didn't put it well back together when I opened it up and now its pissin' gas!

Thanks!