PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha R6 sump plug bolt. HELP!

Cr1MiNaL
30th March 2009, 22:19
Alright to yesterday I decided to do a bit of maintenance on the ol R6. Flushed the brake fluid, flushed the coolant, was about to drop the oil when instead of loosening the sump plug I tightened it and tightened it so tight that it now spins on the spot in both directions without coming free. Can someone please tell me what my options are? As far as I see it,

1. disemble the headers and pipe and remove sump, give it to a mate to re drill and put it back ( a big mission)

2. find some sort of tool that holds and excerts force downward whilst screwing the damn bolt out ( mind you I do not have too much space), easier but will this fix the problem. I do not want bits of metal floating around in my engine.

** in the mean while I still need to get to work and I dont own a car. So I am riding it carefully (no harsh acceleration or wheelies zzzz) hopefull y the bolt wont pop out under pressure spilling a couple of litres of oil on my rear tire and seizing up my beautiful engineering marvel.

Please help an idiot learn something !!

xwhatsit
30th March 2009, 22:42
...lefty loosey, righty tighty....?

Is pulling the headers off that much more of a deal on a multi? I suppose you'll have fairings too.

But even if you get the bolt out, you'll still have to drill the hole out and tap a new thread or helicoil it; you've farked the existing one. So either way there's going to be swarf in your sump. If you're lucky enough to have a removable sump why not just pull it.

Didn't you pause when you found it a bit tight and have a think, lol! Sump plugs are big, need a lot of torque to fuck it wouldn't you?

Disco Dan
30th March 2009, 23:03
You could get a flat head screwdriver in the gap and lever it down while turning... still means remove the sump to re tap the hole though.

Thats a right 'muppet' moment that one !

TOTO
30th March 2009, 23:35
I'm not Mr Mechanical here Raj, but if you still wanna change the oil and make sure there is nothing floating in there , is it possible to drain the oil by removing the filter and then use one of those magnets that are on the end of a flexible road (you buy them from repco) to go around the engine and see if anything sticks to it.

Thats what comes to me mind at the mo, but all depends on how your engine is and where the filter is etc...

howdamnhard
31st March 2009, 00:06

Is pulling the headers off that much more of a deal on a multi? I suppose you'll have fairings too.

But even if you get the bolt out, you'll still have to drill the hole out and tap a new thread or helicoil it; you've farked the existing one. So either way there's going to be swarf in your sump. If you're lucky enough to have a removable sump why not just pull it.

Didn't you pause when you found it a bit tight and have a think, lol! Sump plugs are big, need a lot of torque to fuck it wouldn't you?

What he said.Got to be careful when your looking from above and trying to loosen something underneath you as it is the opposite direction when viewed from above,if not sure look from below before trying to loosen it.I'm guessing the R6 has a steel sump plug and the sump is aluminium , in which case the aluminium thread is now stripped.Surprised its not leaking.If you can get some vise grips on the plug and pull or lever down on it while loosening it should come out.Will still need to pull sump off in order to drill and tap or helicoil it.
If its not leaking do it on a weekend when you have more time to fix it.

Patch
31st March 2009, 06:13
Please help an idiot learn something !!
Put the 1/2" ratchet down, use a 3/8" drive or a 1/4" and buy a torque wrench and learn how to use it :yes: Buy a bus ticket.

Do not try pulling the bolt out with vice grips - if you pear shape the thread, the helicoil may not succeed. There isn't a lot of metal down there to play around with.

Drill it out. Either take the motor out, or lie it down, but drill it out.

Get someone who knows what the hell they are doing, if they cock it up you'll be buying a new case or trying to find someone to weld more metal and drilling a revised drain hole.

It its not leaking too bad, leave it 'til u have the time. It ain't a 5min job.

HDTboy
31st March 2009, 06:35
Don't ride it.

enigma51
31st March 2009, 06:37

Remember valentino build the bike so it suppose too be tight

vifferman
31st March 2009, 08:02
You don't need to remove the sump. When/if you've removed the plug, the helicoil can be tapped using lotsa grease, which should trap the swarf. If you're worried about any swarf or filings being left in there, just pour some cheap oil or whatever in through the filler plug to wash it out.
As to how you get the plug out, I've no idea. You've obviously stripped the threads out completely, so it should come out if a bit of outward force is applied while turning it.

Morcs
31st March 2009, 08:59
Raj you live with Rob. He is the worst culprit ive known for turning bolts the wrong way and then fucking them. Looks like it rubbed off on yer.

Scouse
31st March 2009, 09:15
Alright to yesterday I decided to do a bit of maintenance on the ol R6. Flushed the brake fluid, flushed the coolant, was about to drop the oil when instead of loosening the sump plug I tightened it and tightened it so tight that it now spins on the spot in both directions without coming free. Can someone please tell me what my options are? As far as I see it,

1. disemble the headers and pipe and remove sump, give it to a mate to re drill and put it back ( a big mission)

2. find some sort of tool that holds and excerts force downward whilst screwing the damn bolt out ( mind you I do not have too much space), easier but will this fix the problem. I do not want bits of metal floating around in my engine.

** in the mean while I still need to get to work and I dont own a car. So I am riding it carefully (no harsh acceleration or wheelies zzzz) hopefull y the bolt wont pop out under pressure spilling a couple of litres of oil on my rear tire and seizing up my beautiful engineering marvel.

Please help an idiot learn something !!3. Take it to a bike shop so someone who knows what the fuck they are doing can fix it

Patch
31st March 2009, 09:42
3. Take it to a bike shop so someone who knows what the fuck they are doing can fix it
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: yeah right!

The Pastor
31st March 2009, 09:43
Take the sump off mate, its not a big job.

Shaun
31st March 2009, 10:20
Don't ride it.

Very Very good advice. You may DIE

vgcspares
31st March 2009, 10:27
hacksaw it off just below the engine mounts and hang a new engine in there, preferably from a non-jappa

vgcspares
31st March 2009, 10:29
alternatively take the sump off and get an engineer to fix it properly - the swarf may only be aluminium but probably best not to have any floating about

Ixion
31st March 2009, 10:32
I have tackled this problem in the past. There is no quick-good-easy option.

Usually the plugs are hollow. So if you hacksaw the head off the plug you are left with the stripped thread bit remaining in the sump, with a hole through it. A small saw blade up through the hole, cut two axial cuts into he remainder of the plug and collapse it inward. Then retap or helicoil. I have successfully put in a external and internal threaded adaptor, secured with araldite, and used a smaller plug.

If none of that makes sense, take it to an engineering works.

HenryDorsetCase
31st March 2009, 10:36
I am amazed its not leaking. but what if it starts? It will piss oil all over your rear tyre. That sounds like fun in Orklind traffic.

get it fixed properly. I would be tempted to drop the sump off with the plug still in it so someone can get at the plug from the other side. Drain the oil as much as poss from the filter first and live with having to clean up the mess it will surely make.

nice bit of swarf blocking an oilway, say to one of your cams? that sounds like fun too.

mark247
31st March 2009, 10:43
I wouldnt ride it, if it falls out and you dont notice, you will fuck the engine something wholesale if you keep going too far. I had this happen on a dirt bike, luckly I stopped 100meters up the road anyway..

puddy
31st March 2009, 10:46
You BIG BURLY MAN you! You're what prettybillie needs to push her bike up onto the trailer.:yes: Good luck!

F5 Dave
31st March 2009, 11:04
Well there's a lot of advice here. :Pokey:

I've played this game before, old Suzukis seem to like to do this, threads into ally of dubious quality used multiple times, even with a torque wrench can fail.

Getting a bigger bolt is not always possible to thread bigger. Also I wouldn't want to risk the swarf in my engine.

Sump off is easiest & best solution. Once you've done it you'll wonder why you thought it was hard. Just look for the last bolt, it will be hiding.

Best solution was I took a mate's sump plate to the local engine reconditioner & he fitted a Timesert (or something like that) which is like a solid complete helicoil for ~$20. This means you can make a groove in it from the top so the last 6mm of oil drains without it falling apart like a helicoil would.

Cr1MiNaL
31st March 2009, 18:32
Hey guys, everyone who has contributed a BIG thank you. This was a genuine concern.

Yes I'm an IDIOT. I used a lot of force to turn the screw the other way and all the while I was thinking how the heck did I get it on so tight when I put it on. Alas, it didn't click. But now I know.

After taking on board what you all have said I've made a decision to do this:

1. Saturday morning crack open a Kingfisher (real men's beer) or ten.

2. Take it all off, get the sump off.

3. Get the plug off and give it to my mate who can heli-coil the sump plug hole and give it back to me. He will take till Wednesday to do it, so I'll buy a bus ticket for the week (damn).

4. Put it back together Saturday the week after next, or if I can work in the light my garage offers why not give it a try.

Again thank you all for laying it down. Appretiate everyones input. Lol I'm such a fuck up!

Cheers
YR64L.

The Pastor
31st March 2009, 18:35
you sure your able to take the sump off ;)

enigma51
31st March 2009, 18:38
Hey guys, everyone who has contributed a BIG thank you. This was a genuine concern.

Yes I'm an IDIOT. I used a lot of force to turn the screw the other way and all the while I was thinking how the heck did I get it on so tight when I put it on. Alas, it didn't click. But now I know.

3. Get the plug off and give it to my mate who can heli-coil the sump plug hole and give it back to me. He will take till Wednesday to do it, so I'll buy a bus ticket for the week (damn).

4. Put it back together Saturday the week after next, or if I can work in the light my garage offers why not give it a try.

Again thank you all for laying it down. Appretiate everyones input. Lol I'm such a fuck up!

Cheers
YR64L.

Leave the beer for after and remeber

lefty loosie righty tighty:stupid:

HenryDorsetCase
31st March 2009, 18:39

Cheers
YR64L.

Don't sweat it. Whenever I fuck something up I think of something Erv Kanemoto is supposed to have said when told he was head and shoulders above other mechanics working in the GP Pits. He is supposed to have said "Well. I'm standing on a big mound of broken parts".

It might not be true but it should be.

enjoy, etc. Plus you get to clean out all the crap living in your sump. Its a win, really.

Patch
31st March 2009, 18:46
Good luck taking "the sump" off. It ain't a car - there is no "sump" to take off. You have to split the cases, translation - the entire motor comes to bits.

It ain't worth splitting the cases just to rethread the drain hole. At worst, take the motor out and perform the task on a workbench, but a competent tradesman will do it in place. It ain't that hard, just time consuming.

Cr1MiNaL
31st March 2009, 18:55
Good luck taking "the sump" off. It ain't a car - there is no "sump" to take off. You have to split the cases, translation - the entire motor comes to bits.

It ain't worth splitting the cases just to rethread the drain hole. At worst, take the motor out and perform the task on a workbench, but a competent tradesman will do it in place. It ain't that hard, just time consuming.

Wow really? When I looked at it earlier it looked like the lower part of the engine where the oil is kept, I call it the 'sump' and I could be wrong, but just so people know what I am talking about, is connected on to the motor via a gasket and about 10 alan key screws. I am presuming if I take this off my poor motor won't fall to bits. There is however an insulated wire running inside the 'sump' and I presume this is the oil level sensor???

If you know something I don't then I do appreciate you telling me now. I could still take it to Yamaha, although I'd rather get dirty myself. Care to elaborate?

Pussy
31st March 2009, 19:21
First: the sump should be removable

Second: Raj, you are a tit for stripping the thread!

Third: Good on you for taking good advice

Forth: big ups for admitting a fuck up!

Hope it all works out for you!

The Pastor
31st March 2009, 19:39
yeah i have 0 experiance on bikes newer than 1992, but my understanding is that it will have a removeable sump. raj where you at hat? I could come and check for ya. You could also give me the bash you big gangsta.

Gubb
31st March 2009, 19:55
I've got the tools, the space, and portable floodlights if you need a hand on Saturday, or after work to put it back together.

I'm only a dozen away.

HDTboy
31st March 2009, 19:56
I can fix it for you, but I will charge you for it.

The Pastor
31st March 2009, 19:58
raj dosent do gay sex bro. he just needs a really big mirror.

TOTO
31st March 2009, 19:59

How much to fix this kind of thing ?

Ixion
31st March 2009, 20:34
Wow really? When I looked at it earlier it looked like the lower part of the engine where the oil is kept, I call it the 'sump' and I could be wrong, but just so people know what I am talking about, is connected on to the motor via a gasket and about 10 alan key screws. I am presuming if I take this off my poor motor won't fall to bits. There is however an insulated wire running inside the 'sump' and I presume this is the oil level sensor???

If you know something I don't then I do appreciate you telling me now. I could still take it to Yamaha, although I'd rather get dirty myself. Care to elaborate?

Fiche (http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/yamaha-motorcycle-yzfr6t-yzfr6-2005/o/m10340)shows a "sump" . Not quite the same thing as a car sump, but a removable lower engine casing. Many bikes don't have one though, so you're in luck.

The motor won't fall to bits if you remove it . But you will get a lot of oil come out.

Patch
1st April 2009, 05:40
Fiche (http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/yamaha-motorcycle-yzfr6t-yzfr6-2005/o/m10340)shows a "sump" . Not quite the same thing as a car sump, but a removable lower engine casing. Many bikes don't have one though, so you're in luck.
my bad - u one lucky bugger then, makes things a crap load easier, shouldn't take any longer than an hour to do then.

Don't strip too many of the little bolts :jerry:

HenryDorsetCase
1st April 2009, 08:40

there is a bolt on cover (which we've all called the sump) under the motor. tried to find a photo and failed.

NOMIS
1st April 2009, 08:45
why the hell didnt you just use a easy out? or EZYout .... problem solved it not exactly hight tensile so wouldnt be a problem header bolts and ones that get inensly hot can be a pain, and if you snap a easy out inside the bolt your pretty much F***d so to speak...

But there cheap and easy. - simialr thing happend to me on my hornet.. h wever i didnt go the wrong way like you. - undid sump plug and the thread came with it lol..... casting at honda must of been a bit off that day. had to send away to be fixed and i hate doing that,.

Malcolm
1st April 2009, 10:25
If it helps, we have a number of sumps from R6's up to 2005 from the many that we have dry-sumped. Could just supply you a replacement to save the faffing about. What year's the bike?

Morcs
1st April 2009, 11:31
If it helps, we have a number of sumps from R6's up to 2005 from the many that we have dry-sumped. Could just supply you a replacement to save the faffing about. What year's the bike?

its an 06.

F5 Dave
1st April 2009, 11:31
why the hell didnt you just use a easy out? or EZYout .... problem solved it not exactly hight tensile so wouldnt be a problem...
. . . ,.
The problem was he striped the sump plate thread, how would this have helped? Why does everyone blaze in after 3 pages without reading the question?

The Stranger
1st April 2009, 11:45
was about to drop the oil when instead of loosening the sump plug I tightened it and tightened it so tight that it now spins on the spot in both directions without coming free.

For fuck sake Raj.
Leave the technical stuff like loosening bolts to the experts and you just worry about the important stuff - like how much hair product you need.

The Stranger
1st April 2009, 11:50
Why does everyone blaze in after 3 pages without reading the question?

Everyone needs an opinion.
Doesn't matter what it is, so long as you share it with everyone.

Cr1MiNaL
1st April 2009, 18:07

Hi Malcolm,

That's very helpful of you. Like Morcs said my R6 is a 2006 R6. Do you have a sump lying around do you?

Malcolm
1st April 2009, 18:18
I responded to the message you put on my visitor page but in case you don't check that - we just have sumps from a few motors we've bought, and they're only the pre '03 and 03-05 models. I'm not sure if they'd be the same but I'd imagine they probably aren't.

Cr1MiNaL
2nd April 2009, 21:45
To all those who offered advice, again, thank you. I thought the least I could do was to post my progress up for you guys.

I've got the fairings, headers, pipe and sump off, the oil'd drained and after cleaning the sump out with petrol I am taking it in to have professionally heli-coiled.

Chur.

LBD
2nd April 2009, 22:14
Git your vice grip out at wrestle the damn thing out.
Take the plug, a spanner and a measuring device (verniers or such and head for the bikeshops, repco,s Knackers yard and find a similar plug 1 to 2 mm larger diameter.
Take said new plug to engineers supplys shop and buy intermediate tap to suit.
Go home...
Get a block of lard or dripping and start to shove it in the hole,( when cold) it will form a dam to catch the swarf.
Tap the hole with the new tap...or get a fitter to do it if you are not confident.

Hold cigrette lighter to hole with bike upright and butter or dripping will melt and swarf will fall out.

Flush with a little new oil.

Fit new plug and bingo....

Cr1MiNaL
8th April 2009, 21:29
Sooo... last week I fixed the biek !! Got the sump heli coiled by Holeshot. Changed the oil and filter, changed the spark plugs and put it all back together again... She's running sooooo smooooove ! Cheers everyone.

TOTO
8th April 2009, 22:03
lets see you wheelie the harbour bridge now :p

DarkLord
8th April 2009, 22:28
Yeah... don't be like that jackass who had the R6 in Mike's workshop with the blown engine.... apparently he had been spending so much time on one wheel the oil drained out of his cylinders and the engine blew up :P

sinfull
8th April 2009, 22:36
Sooo... last week I fixed the biek !! Got the sump heli coiled by Holeshot. Changed the oil and filter, changed the spark plugs and put it all back together again... She's running sooooo smooooove ! Cheers everyone.

Next time ya do an oil change lay on yr back when you undo the sump plug bro !

rok-the-boat
12th April 2009, 22:29
Good luck with sorting it, but seriously, if you don't know which way to undo a bolt, a helicoil is beyond you. Get it done properly.

Cr1MiNaL
12th April 2009, 22:34
Not many people on here like to read the full thread huh? Call me a numbscull but atleast I'm literate :P

Scouse
12th April 2009, 23:02
Not many people on here like to read the full thread huh? Call me a numbscull but atleast I'm literate :PAnd have nice hair

Scouse
12th April 2009, 23:04
And have nice hairThats brushed to within an inch of it's life every 5 minutes

Ixion
12th April 2009, 23:05
Priddy white bootees , too. N a priddy mouf, n'all.

Cr1MiNaL
12th April 2009, 23:19
WTF lol LIES I tell you all LIES !!

Gubb
13th April 2009, 10:26
Call me a numbscull but atleast I'm literate :P

:lol: NumbsKull.

Pixie
14th April 2009, 08:42
Yeah... don't be like that jackass who had the R6 in Mike's workshop with the blown engine.... apparently he had been spending so much time on one wheel the oil drained out of his cylinders and the engine blew up :P

Are you sure the oil drained out of his cylinders ?:argh:

roogazza
14th April 2009, 09:18
Are you sure the oil drained out of his cylinders ?:argh:

I bet he is !!!!!!!! G. LOL.

gazmascelle
12th June 2009, 22:38
haha gotta remember that one

R6_kid
13th June 2009, 11:02
:lol: NumbsKull.

numbsCull - that would be a person that goes rowing on a cold winters morning. :niceone: