PDA

View Full Version : US biker awarded USD 8.6 million for collision with wild pigs

Bob
31st March 2009, 00:30
A Californian jury has awarded a biker USD 8.6 million (GBP 6.1 million) for an accident caused by wild pigs.

Adam Rogers, 45, was thrown from his bike in 2003, when he collided with the animals on Highway 1. The jury decided that the state was responsible, as it was aware that wild pigs regularly crossed that stretch of the highway – but did nothing to address the situation.

After Rogers' accident, the state put up a warning sign and later employed hunters to control the pig population.

Rogers' wife was also awarded USD 500,000 for "loss of consortium."

TOTO
31st March 2009, 00:35
you recon it can happen here with the possums ?

LBD
31st March 2009, 02:59
Dare I be the first to say it ?......

"Happened in the Buller last year"

Ooooo thems fighting words, better change my profile photo, Don't want to recognised after saying that.

RocKai
31st March 2009, 03:09
Wow, is this for real? I'd be happy to run into wild pigs anyday for this kinda money. Has he lost any limbs, brain, fingers, hoo-hoo dilly for his wife compensation as well??? :Pokey:

Got any links?

LBD
31st March 2009, 03:15
Wow, is this for real? I'd be happy to run into wild pigs anyday for this kinda money. Has he lost any limbs, brain, fingers, hoo-hoo dilly for his wife compensation as well??? :Pokey:

Got any links?

What do you reckon loss of Consortium means.... Look up Consort in the dictionary then imagine....

I reckon he lost something valuable to the pair of them....

RocKai
31st March 2009, 03:23
loss of Consortium means
Oh, so it wasn't temporarily loss. Must have been a big pig and a ball crushing speed he was :done:

twotyred
31st March 2009, 06:09

What do you reckon loss of Consortium means.... Look up Consort in the dictionary then imagine....

I reckon he lost something valuable to the pair of them....

this report has a bit more info..

Man Awarded $8.6 Million After Crashing Into Pigs
MONTEREY, Calif. (AP) ―

A Monterey County jury has ordered the state to pay $8.6 million to a motorcyclist who was severely injured when he struck six wild boars on a state highway in 2003.

The jury ruled Friday that the state was responsible for Adam Rogers' injuries because officials knew that wild pigs regularly crossing a stretch of Highway 1 just south of the Carmel River were creating a dangerous situation, but they did nothing to address it.

Rogers, a 45-year-old former karate teacher and champion kickboxer, suffered serious injuries and is now confined to a wheelchair. He and his wife sued the state Department of Transportation in Monterey County Superior Court.

DOT attorneys argued that the state wasn't responsible for the actions of wild animals and said Rogers was under the influence when he struck them. A test found Rogers had a blood-alcohol level of more than .10 after the crash, but the jury concluded that wasn't a major factor in the crash.

Rogers' attorney, Larry Biegel, argued that the state knew the pigs were crossing the road to feed on vegetation in a nearby environmental restoration project. The state later put up a pig-crossing sign and used hunters to help control the pig population.

"This was a situation that they, the state, created, and then once they created it and saw what was happening they did nothing to stop it," Biegel said Saturday.

Most of the $8.6 million award will go toward Rogers' medical bills. Biegel said Rogers requires around-the-clock care and won't walk again. He said he still suffers from gaps in memory as a result of massive head injuries he suffered when he was thrown from his motorcycle.

"This ensures a lifetime of medical treatment, which (Rogers) desperately needs," he said.

Patch
31st March 2009, 06:24
Dare I be the first to say it ?......

"Happened in the Buller last year"

Ooooo thems fighting words
:lol:

Betcha he'd still rather not to have had the accident.

LBD
31st March 2009, 12:54
:lol:

Betcha he'd still rather not to have had the accident.

I could not argue that.

monkeymsea
31st March 2009, 18:06
Hey found this article on the net today thought you guys might want to read it

http://cbs13.com/local/motorcycle.pig.lawsuit.2.970461.html

A Monterey County jury has ordered the state to pay $8.6 million to a motorcyclist who was severely injured when he struck six wild boars on a state highway in 2003.

The jury ruled Friday that the state was responsible for Adam Rogers' injuries because officials knew that wild pigs regularly crossing a stretch of Highway 1 just south of the Carmel River were creating a dangerous situation, but they did nothing to address it.

Rogers, a 45-year-old former karate teacher and champion kickboxer, suffered serious injuries and is now confined to a wheelchair. He and his wife sued the state Department of Transportation in Monterey County Superior Court.

DOT attorneys argued that the state wasn't responsible for the actions of wild animals and said Rogers was under the influence when he struck them. A test found Rogers had a blood-alcohol level of more than .10 after the crash, but the jury concluded that wasn't a major factor in the crash.

Rogers' attorney, Larry Biegel, argued that the state knew the pigs were crossing the road to feed on vegetation in a nearby environmental restoration project. The state later put up a pig-crossing sign and used hunters to help control the pig population.

"This was a situation that they, the state, created, and then once they created it and saw what was happening they did nothing to stop it," Biegel said Saturday.

Most of the $8.6 million award will go toward Rogers' medical bills. Biegel said Rogers requires around-the-clock care and won't walk again. He said he still suffers from gaps in memory as a result of massive head injuries he suffered when he was thrown from his motorcycle.

"This ensures a lifetime of medical treatment, which (Rogers) desperately needs," he said.

Rogers' wife, Kristin Finn, also was awarded $500,000 for "loss of consortium."

Vorno
5th April 2009, 10:26
you recon it can happen here with the possums ?

*I suggest that you read the article! Most of the money is going towards his medical.