PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slipping?

Rych
31st March 2009, 08:42
Well I have been noticing if I really go for it and quick change through the gears, the revs will just fly up and the bike wont really be accelerating like it should be. If I change quite slow let the clutch out then give full acceleration it is fine. Doesn't seem to be able to handle a quick change, is this a sign of a worn clutch or can you not change gears like this on a 250 zxr?

Cheers.

F5 Dave
31st March 2009, 14:04
clutch slipping for sure.

if you are lucky; oil change cause you are using something unsuitable, or adjusted so no slack in lever & slightly on.

More likely is the springs are had it or the plates are worn. Pulling said items out & measuring will tell. Pretty simple job, do a search. Aftermarket plates will be cheapest option, but still a few $ for sure. Sometimes you can bang a bit more preload (maybe another steel plate) & that is enough, but more of a band-aid than a fix.

Rych
2nd April 2009, 19:58
I see, thanks. I just did the oil, I forgot what it was. A Kawasaki work shop recommended it though. If I were to pay to get the clutch replaced how much would I be looking at roughly?

Is it normal for a clutch to be worn at only 24,000km?

It seems to have got'en worse too, today when I went full throttle in 3rd, once it hit about 13k rpm they just shot up to redline and the bike went know where.. I thought it'd do it under load, but seems at high rpm.

98tls
2nd April 2009, 20:04
Fwiw have you maxed the adjustment out?

F5 Dave
3rd April 2009, 09:00
Chances are the oil is fine, or at least was until contaminated with burnt clutch. Yes it will get seriously worse quick once it starts slipping to the point the bike won't move.

If not doing it yourself will have to ask price. No it is not common at that low mileage but severe abuse & more likely a period of time with the adjustment so it was part on would kill it quick. Hard to prove anything so it's suck it up & fix it being sure adjustment has some slack.

bungbung
3rd April 2009, 11:24
FWIW

Aftermarket fibres and heavier springs were $70, new OEM gasket was $42, You'll need new oil, filter if it's due.

Shop should be able to do it with 1 hour labour

Rych
7th April 2009, 19:44
Booked into Kawasaki in Takapuna for next week. They said will cost about $250. Yea they said one hour labour.

Conquiztador
7th April 2009, 20:40
Booked into Kawasaki in Takapuna for next week. They said will cost about $250. Yea they said one hour labour.

Just replaced my son's NV400 plates. Had some good s/h ones around the place and used some decent gasket glue on the side cover. No gasket there. Took us approx one hour and cost him a "Thanks dad!".

JimO
7th April 2009, 20:48
Just replaced my son's NV400 plates. Had some good s/h ones around the place and used some decent gasket glue on the side cover. No gasket there. Took us approx one hour and cost him a "Thanks dad!".

thats what dads are for....and paying for everything

Conquiztador
7th April 2009, 21:00
thats what dads are for....and paying for everything

True. But I knew that when I decided to have him (and his 3 brothers) so it does not come as a surprise.

But what will come as a surprise to them is when they have all moved out and happily are making heaps of money, that is when I will spend 3 months/year with each of them. Revenge...

Brian d marge
7th April 2009, 21:28
One / or two causes of clutch plate wear is/are the little ridges forming on the clutch basket , and sticking plates ..acting like one big plate

Strip it measure it and make a decision, when I am designing clutches I add plates not spring force ,

Stephen

Rych
16th April 2009, 17:55
Fixed, cost me a little $149! Didn't need eveything replaced, just one or two of the plates or something. :)