PDA

View Full Version : Read this and be in for a quick $50! (If you win a prize from completing a survey)

Phil.Survey.2009
1st April 2009, 21:17
Hi, my name is Phil Read.

I am a motorcycle enthusiast just like you. I have owned and ridden road bikes for over 35 years and I still retain a strong passion for this sport/hobby.

I have recently completed a Master’s Degree through Lincoln Uni. and I am now conducting a survey of kiwi road-riders… And I would like your help.

I want to gather some information that will help to profile today’s typical road riders. Here are some of the questions I hope to be able to answer.

Why do you ride bikes, and how long have you been riding?

Do you belong to a club, and so, what value do you get from your club? If not, what do you think could clubs do better to attract new members?

What is the average age of motorcyclists today? Have you recently come back to bikes after a break, or have you been involved long term? Are new people still discovering bikes, and if so at what age?

What experience and training have you had? What size bike do you ride? Have you ever had any track time? Would you like too?

I’m keen to have people just like you help with this project and I’m happy to share what I find with you and anyone else in the motorcycling community who may be interested, at no cost of course. Oh, and yes, your privacy and confidentiality is guaranteed!

And the quick $50?

When the survey closes, I will be randomly selecting five survey participants who will each receive a $50 petrol voucher for their contribution. Winners will be notified by email.

PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS !

Just:

email to phil.survey@clear.net.nz
subject survey

...and you will automatically receive the link to the survey website.

Kind Regards
Phil Read
2 April 2009

Note: This survey has been endorsed
by RoadSafe Motorcycle Training Techniques Ltd (Wtgn)

Number One
1st April 2009, 21:22
Message sent and BUMP!

smoky
1st April 2009, 21:30
Message sent and BUMP!

Ya just never know - may as well

Number One
1st April 2009, 21:32
Ya just never know - may as well
That's MY $50 petrol voucher - push off smoky! :lol:

Usarka
1st April 2009, 21:35
I just got an email back and my computer says i got some hoedinger virus....:blink:

EDIT:

Phil - What will this survey get used for????

I'm a bit sus about some of these questions. And whether you actually expect people to admit breaking the law (Q35) when some random on a website has their contact details.....

And I'm a little bit suspicious about motorcycle surveys about safety gear.

Why does a motorcycle training company need to know about how many people speed or wear t-shirts? Will this information be used for any other purposes other than rider training through your company only?

Usarka
1st April 2009, 21:53
And you probably want to fix question 41.

*41) On average, how many times per year would you go on a short DAYTIME road trip?

1-3
4-6
7-9
10-12
I go riding every chance I get
I don't usually go on DAYTIME road trips.
I don't usually go on DAYTIME road trips, but I'd like to...

I would speculate that a large percentage of active motorcyclists venture out on a short day trip more than 10 times per year....

Number One
1st April 2009, 21:56
I just got an email back and my computer says i got some hoedinger virus....:blink:
Sucks to be you! I didn't get anything nor any comment from my virus software - what other sites you in right now eh? :sherlock:

crazyv
2nd April 2009, 08:13
Are you the great (or named after) Phil Read (http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/riderprofiles/phil-read.php) ? lol

Bob
2nd April 2009, 08:28
Phil - What will this survey get used for????

I'm a bit sus about some of these questions. And whether you actually expect people to admit breaking the law (Q35) when some random on a website has their contact details.....

And I'm a little bit suspicious about motorcycle surveys about safety gear.

Why does a motorcycle training company need to know about how many people speed or wear t-shirts? Will this information be used for any other purposes other than rider training through your company only?

I would also like some clarification please.

My questions:

a. What is this data being compiled for?
b. What kind of confidentiality agreement is in place regarding any personal information that is given by people that complete this survey?
c. When the survey is completed and compiled, will the results be made public? Or are they going to be part of a published paper, that none of the co-respondents will be privvy to seeing?

I don't know about the other mods on the news page, but this strikes me as a one-off post (note no responses yet), using KB to get a lot of information on the premise of maybe winning $50. Other mods, please feel free to comment.

So Phil Read, I would ask you to come back and give some more clarification. If you don't then I feel I have to question whether this item remains on this News Page. Until then, I'd not complete this survey... up to the other KB members, but all we know about this guy is what he said.

Just trying to be careful here and protect the KB membership.

BiK3RChiK
2nd April 2009, 11:12
I'm with Bob and Usarka on this. Bring on the answers...

Number One
2nd April 2009, 14:27
I wonder if in a way it wouldn't be worth asking Andrew Templeton from Roadsafe - he'll be able to answer whether this guys survey is at least for starters actually endorsed by him as it says...

Either way I've already completed it - hopefully it isn't a hoax but if it is oh well guess I got suckered - still ain't much I answered that worth worrying about as far as I can tell.

Bob
3rd April 2009, 00:59
I wonder if in a way it wouldn't be worth asking Andrew Templeton from Roadsafe - he'll be able to answer whether this guys survey is at least for starters actually endorsed by him as it says...

Either way I've already completed it - hopefully it isn't a hoax but if it is oh well guess I got suckered - still ain't much I answered that worth worrying about as far as I can tell.

I've just sent the following email to admin@roadsafe.co.nz :

"Dear All at Roadsafe,

I wonder if you could help me. If you look at the following link to a post on Kiwi Biker:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=96277

You will see that a gentleman called Phil Read claims you have endorsed the survey he refers to in another link embedded into the post.

As a moderator of the news forum on KB, I am concerned that our readership may be completing a survey that has NOT been endorsed by you - and that they could be giving away information to someone for all the wrong reasons.

If you could kindly confirm that you have seen and endorse Mr Read's survey - or otherwise - it would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to protect the interests of the Kiwi Biker membership, so your response would be very useful in this regard.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Best Regards,

Bob"

If anyone has a direct contact at Roadsafe, perhaps they could get in touch and try to confirm or otherwise that this is an endorsed survey?

PLEASE NOTE ROADSAFE HAS NOW RESPONDED AND SAID THIS SURVEY IS FINE - READ RESPONSE FROM THEM LATER ON IN THE THREAD

portokiwi
3rd April 2009, 06:14
If anyone is interested
http://www.valuedopinions.co.nz/
they send surveys all the time, mostly $1.50 for 5mins work.
you get to claim a voucher back for either farmers, Rebal sports, movie place book shop ect. When it reaches $10 or more.
Every once in a while you do yummy things like choc testing where you get an extra $50.00 cash.
I have been doing it for over a year now.
booring but easy cash lol.

Bob
4th April 2009, 00:10
If anyone is interested
http://www.valuedopinions.co.nz/
they send surveys all the time, mostly $1.50 for 5mins work.
you get to claim a voucher back for either farmers, Rebal sports, movie place book shop ect. When it reaches $10 or more.
Every once in a while you do yummy things like choc testing where you get an extra $50.00 cash.
I have been doing it for over a year now.
booring but easy cash lol.

The above is cool - my wife does similar surveys and makes a small, but useful amount from them.

PLEASE NOTE THAT BOTH PHIL AND ROADSAFE HAVE NOW RESPONDED, SO PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMPLETE THE SURVEY

Number One
4th April 2009, 09:05
I'd say it must be dodgy as I see from his profile he has been back on several times since and not once has he chosen to respond to this thread and the concerns raised.

ducatilover
4th April 2009, 18:01
And you probably want to fix question 41.

I would speculate that a large percentage of active motorcyclists venture out on a short day trip more than 10 times per year....

*41) On average, how many times per year would you go on a short DAYTIME road trip?

1-3
4-6
7-9
10-12
I go riding every chance I get
I don't usually go on DAYTIME road trips.
I don't usually go on DAYTIME road trips, but I'd like to. that I must say is an easy way to scope out who are possible victims to a nicely organised robbery group:buggerd:

Phil.Survey.2009
4th April 2009, 20:43
Hi Usarka...

I agree with you that many active riders WOULD go on day trips more than 10 times per year...

That's why the next option up was: "I go riding every chance I get". :innocent:

(But I do take your point. I am already getting some good suggestions for a more effective survey; perhaps for next year).

Phil

Phil.Survey.2009
4th April 2009, 21:01
Hi there.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm new here and I'm still finding my way around. Sorry about the delay. I have only JUST NOW found these messages, so am responding now.

For the record,NO, I am not dodgy. Well... no more thanyou people may be to me :calm: After all, I don't know any of you either !

Cheers for now.
Phil

Phil.Survey.2009
4th April 2009, 21:17
The above is cool - my wife does similar surveys and makes a small, but useful amount from them.

Meanwhile, no response from Roadsafe, so I have PMd Phil Read:

"Phil,

I am one of the moderators on Kiwibiker - and quite frankly, I have concerns about a 1st post being for an external survey (purportedly approved by Roadsafe).

I've told our members NOT to respond, pending a reply from you or Roadsafe (preferably both). As no response from you is forthcoming, unless you respond to this message, I WILL delete your post.

You must appreciate that I am trying to protect the KB membership.

Look forward to your prompt response.

Bob"

If I don't hear back from him by Monday, this entire thread goes in the bin. IN THE MEANTIME, DO NOT FILL IN HIS SURVEY! If he cares so much, he'll come back with information. If not, then it isn't worth it.
For anyone that is interested you can phone or email 'RoadSafe' yourselves to check me out. Andrew and his wife have been overseas and have only just returned. I received Bob's email at 1:08 am this morning and I replied at about 7:45am. I believe that Andrew has now also replied to Bob. I am disappointed at the tone of Bob's email, however I completely understand, and completely support his concerns about member protection. Unfortunately Bob didn't actually ask me any questions, so I responded as best I could. I suggested that he should undertake the survey himself (he can cancel before completion) so he can check it out. I would hope he would do us all that courtesy and then respond to his own (this) posting.

Regards
Phil

Phil.Survey.2009
4th April 2009, 21:40

Hi Number One. I'm not really sure what I (or you if in my place) could ever say here to assure anyone that this isn't a hoax... Other than my personal guarantee. Oh, and the fact that (as you said) "still ain't much I answered that's worth worrying about as far as I can tell". The fact is that the only personal information requested is the email address. And you guys have already given out more than that on this very web site!

Anyway... Thanks for your vote of confidence sir!

Jantar
4th April 2009, 21:48
i'm one who has completed the survey, and didn't find anything threatning or dodgy about it.

I would suggest that you add a section for comments on any of the questions as a few of them do not have a satisfactory answer choice. eg the one about why a rider doesn't go on more overnight or long distance rides. Only one answer really touched on cost, and that was the cost of accomodation. I would say that the cost of accomodation is small compared to the cost of tyres, chains servicing etc. I would estimate that my recent trip around New Zealand cost me in total about $2400 for tyres, servicing, fuel, food, accomodation etc. The accomodation section of that would be less than $200, so is small change compared to the rest of the ride.

For long rides I allow around $75 per day for food, accomodation etc, $0.10 per km for tyres, $0.10 per km for fuel and $0.05 per km for servicing and other maintenence. So a 6000 km ride over 10 days would cost around $2250. Interisland cost are in addition to that.

Phil.Survey.2009
4th April 2009, 21:53
I would also like some clarification please.

My questions:

a. What is this data being compiled for?
b. What kind of confidentiality agreement is in place regarding any personal information that is given by people that complete this survey?
c. When the survey is completed and compiled, will the results be made public? Or are they going to be part of a published paper, that none of the co-respondents will be privvy to seeing?

I don't know about the other mods on the news page, but this strikes me as a one-off post (note no responses yet), using KB to get a lot of information on the premise of maybe winning $50. Other mods, please feel free to comment.

So Phil Read, I would ask you to come back and give some more clarification. If you don't then I feel I have to question whether this item remains on this News Page. Until then, I'd not complete this survey... up to the other KB members, but all we know about this guy is what he said.

Just trying to be careful here and protect the KB membership.
Hi there.

Before I respond please accept my apologize for the delay. This (today) is the first time I have EVER posted or replied on a forum type website like this. I didn't even know that these messages were here until I received Bob's direct email (sent at 1:08 am this morning). As I said in another post here (somewhere), I responded to that email, and logged in here and responded at 7:45 am this morning.

I believe that these questions are all answered in my original posting, and in the survey itself. The survey contains a Privacy Statement and Declaration just before the end, so anyone answering can cancel before the final "SUBMIT" button: So if they don't like what they see, they can just cann-out. No harm - No foul.

Perhaps one or two other brave souls might wish to 'test' this and come back here to post their (trusted) feedback.

Regards
Phil

Phil.Survey.2009
4th April 2009, 22:01
that I must say is an easy way to scope out who are possible victims to a nicely organised robbery group:buggerd:
Great sense of humor there DucatiLover :niceone:

But let's test this out:

My email address (the only private information you provide) is phil.survey@clear.net.nz. Ok, now the question is: Where do I live?

If you don't know where I live, you can't rob me!

And that even assumes that anyone will receive your email address (from me). Even if THAT is a risk (which it isn't), you'd be best not to ever send anyone, (anywhere in the world), your email address.

PS. I love Ducatis too. What year is your Spada. Is that a (circa) 1978 model?

Phil.Survey.2009
4th April 2009, 22:19
i'm one who has completed the survey, and didn't find anything threatning or dodgy about it.

I would suggest that you add a section for comments on any of the questions as a few of them do not have a satisfactory answer choice. eg the one about why a rider doesn't go on more overnight or long distance rides. Only one answer really touched on cost, and that was the cost of accomodation. I would say that the cost of accomodation is small compared to the cost of tyres, chains servicing etc. I would estimate that my recent trip around New Zealand cost me in total about $2400 for tyres, servicing, fuel, food, accomodation etc. The accomodation section of that would be less than $200, so is small change compared to the rest of the ride.

For long rides I allow around $75 per day for food, accomodation etc, $0.10 per km for tyres, $0.10 per km for fuel and $0.05 per km for servicing and other maintenence. So a 6000 km ride over 10 days would cost around $2250. Interisland cost are in addition to that.
Hi Jantar.

I appreciate your feedback, and acknowledgement of the non-threatening nature of this survey..

Good point about costs. I wonder though if the servicing of the bike lasts longer than the trip? I agree that food costs more when on the road than a home, but it doesn't always have to be fastfood / restaurants. I often get filled rolls at a supermarket ($3 ea) along with other items. Ferry crossings (good point) but these don't happen every trip either. Many 2 night weekend trips won't cross islands, and these are likely to be a lot shorter.

Most of us, still need somewhere to sleep, and accommodation, unlike fuel, is NOT pro-rata with miles travelled. If you wanted to spend a weekend in Rotorua (from Auckland) you might actually only travel some 600-900kms(?) and still have to pay for two nights.

But I MUST say... $200 accommodation over 10 nights! That's a feat! I'm doing more or less the same trip in 2 weeks time. Can I ask where you stayed?

ducatilover
4th April 2009, 22:19

But let's test this out:

My email address (the only private information you provide) is phil.survey@clear.net.nz. Ok, now the question is: Where do I live?

And that even assumes that anyone will receive your email address (from me). Even if THAT is a risk (which it isn't), you'd be best not to ever send anyone, (anywhere in the world), your email address.

my spada doesn't happen to be a ducati sadly.......:blank: just a wee honda project. the pic in my profile is what I am building her to be

Bob
5th April 2009, 00:32
For anyone that is interested you can phone or email 'RoadSafe' yourselves to check me out. Andrew and his wife have been overseas and have only just returned. I received Bob's email at 1:08 am this morning and I replied at about 7:45am. I believe that Andrew has now also replied to Bob. I am disappointed at the tone of Bob's email, however I completely understand, and completely support his concerns about member protection. Unfortunately Bob didn't actually ask me any questions, so I responded as best I could. I suggested that he should undertake the survey himself (he can cancel before completion) so he can check it out. I would hope he would do us all that courtesy and then respond to his own (this) posting.

Regards
Phil

Phil - just trying to protect our readership. There are so many scams about, that you have to be careful. The membership of KB tends to be a very helpful one, so it would have been all to easy for someone to come on board and take advantage of that good nature - that is what I am here to protect against.

As for not asking you questions; I asked you questions in this thread. In the email, I asked you to respond to those questions.

As you say, I have had an email from Andrew Templeton, the contents of which are repeated here:

"Thanks for your enquiry.

Yes we know Phil Read very well and have known him personally for about 20 years. He has our complete respect as a person, and is absolutely genuine in his interest and passion for motorcycling. Phil asked us to view the survey questions prior to posting them, and yes these are endorsed by us. The research and survey questions have been developed independently by Phil, and from our point of view please feel confident that your readers can be encouraged to participate in the survey if they wish."

Given this response, do proceed to fill in the survey, if you wish to give Phil feedback.

Phil - hope the findings will be made public? If so, will it be here, or will they appear somewhere else? If they are revealed somewhere else, then it would be good to have a link posted on this thread.

Regards,

Bob

James Deuce
5th April 2009, 06:49

But let's test this out:

Actually it's quite simple to figure out your physical address from email headers and IP addresses. You don't even have to be much of a geek to do it, just be able to follow instructions and capable of carrying off one telephone call to a call centre.

The point is, you're collating personal data, using the name of a historic motorcycle racing figure, promising free money, and anyone can claim to know anyone on the Interdweeb including using endorsement quotes sent through third parties.

Are you commencing study for your PhD? Who is paying for the research you're conducting and what is the motivation of the organisation paying you? Is it the tourism industry? The NZ Government? Those price fixing bastards who sell us petrol?

I personally wouldn't participate simply because I've been stitched up one time too many. I know Andrew and Lynne too, so it's not like I couldn't check if I felt it worth the effort.

My gut feeling is that the $50 amounts to chicken feed for giving away data that can be used for everything from justifying compulsory comprehensive insurance for motorcyclists, to banning them from rural roads and confining them to city centres. Just because it probably won't happen doesn't mean someone isn't trying.

Number One
5th April 2009, 06:54
Anyway... Thanks for your vote of confidence sir!
All good Phil - as I said I filled it out and didn't see anything in there that I felt was a worry and I note too that Andrew T has been in touch. That in itself is good enough for me!

BTW note the symbol by my avatar...I'm a girl so you can call me Queen instead of sir :lol: ;)