PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please help me check a bike?

yzha433
3rd April 2009, 11:47
Hi,

I am looking at buying a 1991 GSXR400 on trademe asking for 3.5k (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-210662229.htm). But I am not mechanically educated. I called Suzuki workshop about inspecting it, and they said they would not touch it if they were me :(

I went for a test drive and the bike takes a while to warm up and requires lots of throttle to get off the line. Owner said he would fix the throttle problem.

Please help give some suggestions about getting this bike and it would be great if any experts can go with me to check it out. :confused:

Free beers offered! :drinknsin: Thanks

motorbyclist
3rd April 2009, 13:31
I'd be happy to have a look - it sure looks nice in the photos

coming to the chiller?

ital916
3rd April 2009, 19:15
Hi,

I am looking at buying a 1991 GSXR400 on trademe asking for 3.5k (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-210662229.htm). But I am not mechanically educated. I called Suzuki workshop about inspecting it, and they said they would not touch it if they were me :(

I went for a test drive and the bike takes a while to warm up and requires lots of throttle to get off the line. Owner said he would fix the throttle problem.

Please help give some suggestions about getting this bike and it would be great if any experts can go with me to check it out. :confused:

Free beers offered! :drinknsin: Thanks

dont touch it, save up a little longer and get a nice bike. A rvf will be much nicer and more reliable or a few years old 600 bud.

HungusMaximist
3rd April 2009, 21:37
Ask any old Suzuki lover they'll tell about it, or Squiggles (Steven)

Personally I'd go for Honda for reliability or at least something that's renowned for it's reliability. You don't want to end up with a shitty old bike.

lostinflyz
3rd April 2009, 21:45
hey mate,

these are epic wee bikes. it doesn't look to be the sp model but not too much of a biggie. they are as reliable as any old 400 - ive got an rvf and had vfr's but a mates on a gsxr400 racer and its been an awesome piece of kit.

that said the SP models are stupidly tall geared as may be the standard model, which makes them a mission to get of the mark. if so its no worries. if it sings once running thats what matters.

but all that being said if it does turn sour parts can be a dog to find and cost a bit (note most factory 400 bits cost alot, regardsless of where from, or manufacturer). the main pain is if u fix your own kit theres very little info (no haynes manuals, best you can get is the mico film of the parts manual) and very few who remeber working on them.

good luck mate