PDA

View Full Version : Big waste of money for fun

ducatilover
4th April 2009, 20:47
I am starting a big waste of money for fun project, a turbo 250....:blink: yup I have gotten too bored, have drawn up the plans for the manifold and for the cam specs so far. I am just trying to hunt down the right size turbo [3 cm2 = 0.14 A/R, 4 cm2 = 0.23 A/R, 5 cm2 = 0.32 A/R or something around those lines]
Obviously I will be running a new fuel system, jetted carbs [hopefully the cv carbs wont mind the blow through system] and two vacuum operated fuel pumps, or electronic with a rising rate fpr. not too sure yet on that. obviously for a vacuum operated fuel pump system I cannot have a longer than 232deg [@1mm] duration cam, the intake vac will drop too much:sick: spark system, I am going to do an old trail and error type thing here, leave it as is....
I already have the inter cooler...:Punk:
whaddaya think guys? plain stupid or interestingly stupid?<_<

325rocket
4th April 2009, 21:09
fucking brilliant idea.
how will you run the oil line and get correct oil pressure?
i have "turbo'd" a few now turbo engines before let me know if i can help!

ducatilover
4th April 2009, 21:13
fucking brilliant idea.
how will you run the oil line and get correct oil pressure?
i have "turbo'd" a few now turbo engines before let me know if i can help!

Oil line will be taken from sump on the pressure side of the oil pump [according to my plans] and return to the sump.
I am thinking it may be best to run a remote oil pump just for the turbo?
I am trying to track down a suzuki 660cc 3cyl turbo. ;)

EJK
4th April 2009, 21:13
Don't forget the LED lights! :sunny:

ducatilover
4th April 2009, 21:15
Don't forget the LED lights! :sunny:

hahaha this is not a joke hyosung so leds are not needed:wari:

EJK
4th April 2009, 21:16
Hahaha if so, good luck! :D

ducatilover
4th April 2009, 21:18
Hahaha if so, good luck! :D

cheers, I see many snapped rods in this project...or melted pistons....:first:

Gubb
4th April 2009, 22:06
Lemme know if you're racing in the Hyosung 250 GP class.

ducatilover
4th April 2009, 22:13
Lemme know if you're racing in the Hyosung 250 GP class.

hmmm I don't think my Honda is allowed....

Right I will buy a ct9a snail and see how that goes, smaller than an early td04 from what my research says.
anybody offering helpful advice [and hyosungs number perhaps they will make a turbo] will be rewarded with beer in eketahuna, I may drink it for you:innocent:

FROSTY
5th April 2009, 11:55
Old mans old memory. I think you may run into issues with your carbs.
Yamaha with the xj650 turbo had to modify the carbs in some way
Sorry dude can't remember the exact details.
The bloke to talk to is the guy that built the wikked Gixxer thou turbo

ducatilover
5th April 2009, 17:52
I think the carb issues were vacuum holes being the wrong size in CV carb

Blackshear
5th April 2009, 23:37
You might wanna brush by FI with it, to squeeze some more power out first.
I remember reading a group of blokes FI-ing their CBR or sommat, reckoned hitting the limiter gave them backlash.

ducatilover
5th April 2009, 23:45
I don't want to go with FI just for two reasons, I will be doing this all myself and do not have the correct programs available anymore to program an injection system and I want to see how it will turn out with dirty old c.v carbs

Blackshear
5th April 2009, 23:46
I don't want to go with FI just for two reasons, I will be doing this all myself and do not have the correct programs available anymore to program an injection system and I want to see how it will turn out with dirty old c.v carbs

Do it cleanly!
No hideous coolant re-routing :pinch:

ducatilover
5th April 2009, 23:51
Do it cleanly!
No hideous coolant re-routing :pinch:

There won't be any coolant re-routing as far as I am aware:oi-grr: It will take me quite a while to get the fuel side of things right and hopefully I can get it quite good without melting anything. I have decided to use a HT 18S-BM from a 12at mazda, turbo is only good for 6.2psi efficiently and that suits me. has a twin entry adapter that is easily found and is similar enough sizing to the standard header diameter so I don't have to completely re make the exhaust system, also has a small 52mm [from memory] exhaust wheel and comes on boost fairly quick

FruitLooPs
6th April 2009, 15:58
Wouldn't be keen on an IHI RHB51 turbocharger off a Honda City turbo would ya?

Got it from an old gsx600 engine used in TQ, might not spool up until you're near redline though. But surely the 12AT turbo would be similar?

no play that i can detect in it, was gonna use it on my gsxr750 but a bent rod changed my plans early on. :wacko:

ducatilover
6th April 2009, 16:03
Wouldn't be keen on an IHI RHB51 turbocharger off a Honda City turbo would ya?

Got it from an old gsx600 engine used in TQ, might not spool up until you're near redline though. But surely the 12AT turbo would be similar?

no play that i can detect in it, was gonna use it on my gsxr750 but a bent rod changed my plans early on. :wacko:

I figure the spada pushes a small but effective amount of air...we will find out how late it will spool.
I could use the IHI :yes: PM'd

The Pastor
6th April 2009, 18:26
the turbos off the old supras might work?

goodluck dude

ducatilover
6th April 2009, 23:50
the turbos off the old supras might work?

goodluck dude

Depend what old supra bro, jza70 came out with a fair few turbo variants, the 7mgte turbo is too big, 1jzgtte turbo also, but, the 1g-gte may offer a small enough turbo, but [again] availability and the fact I have already sourced several more suitable turbos.
I may need lots of good luck with this<_<:shifty:

edit = 1g-gte was ga70 supra, same shape tough.

aer0
20th April 2009, 15:54
bah buy my CBR250 and turbo that ;)

ducatilover
20th April 2009, 18:47
I want to.... But sadly I am selling the bike due to back injuries. Hopefully I can still get the spare engine and play around with it:scooter: