PDA

View Full Version : Offroad ride at Sandpit this week.

zzzbang
6th April 2009, 17:58
Hey guys.

Me and Motorbyclist are planning to go to sandpit (new woodhill track) for an offroad ride on wednesday or friday. If your interested i have space for 2 more bikes on my trailer if you need a lift.

:scooter:

Danae
6th April 2009, 18:04
Aw, sounds like fun!!! But obviously I don't have a bike. D:

Real_Wolf
6th April 2009, 19:03
Talk to andrew, he has some dirtbikes, and would probably be keen for some offroading

cave weta
6th April 2009, 19:12
Wednesday eh....
Ive just found out Ill be there wednesday. can I bring anybody a hire bike?

ps I will own you noobs!:sleep: in my dreams.

macros87
6th April 2009, 20:47
oooooh ill talk to andrew about shotgunning one of his yammis :P

swee
6th April 2009, 23:05
Would be keen, I've got access to a bike and have a helmet, but would someone have any gear i could borrow?

motorbyclist
6th April 2009, 23:41
ok, by new we mean it's had major recontruction after changing ownership about a year or two ago.

forecast is for rain. this is good.

i was going to call it wednesday woodhill, but it may be relegated to friday depending on how things work out

Aw, sounds like fun!!! But obviously I don't have a bike. D:

Wednesday eh....
Ive just found out Ill be there wednesday. can I bring anybody a hire bike?

what IS the hire bike?

tomorrow i should have fixed the yz250f (stephen has first dibs) and can bring my trusty steed the XL125 along too (suitable for a smaller rider). my brother's yz400f has just had a few repairs/new parts so we'll let him have first use of that... and I cbf reassembling the rear end

Would be keen, I've got access to a bike and have a helmet, but would someone have any gear i could borrow?

exactly what gear do you need?

motorbyclist
6th April 2009, 23:44
oooooh ill talk to andrew about shotgunning one of his yammis :P

mine are (so far) booked - talk to chris perhaps?

motorbyclist
7th April 2009, 00:06
aaaand stephen just bailed out

Danae
7th April 2009, 00:20
Am I allowed to ride the XL125? Enough free space? 8D I could probably get pants or boots by friday if needed

cave weta
7th April 2009, 07:24
If you want to book a bike you have till this evening

Go to my website and choose a bike. trail bikes $110, enduro $180 for the day

then contact me through the contact page

I have riding gear available too. Boots helmet gloves goggles pants shirt $30 for the day.

swee
7th April 2009, 10:09
exactly what gear do you need?

i dunno whats the minimum ive got helmet and my road gloves,

might hitup cave weta but it says he's in waihi?

cave weta
7th April 2009, 10:10

Duh!- Ive said that I will be there Wednesday!

swee
7th April 2009, 10:40
bah, my bad i never read things completely. Guess it will depend if these guys go out on wed or fri then.

motorbyclist
7th April 2009, 11:49
If you want to book a bike you have till this evening

Go to my website and choose a bike. trail bikes $110, enduro $180 for the day

then contact me through the contact page

I have riding gear available too. Boots helmet gloves goggles pants shirt $30 for the day.

haha, as students the bikes are probably out of your price range but the gear is reasonable considering it's the lot of it.

i was wondering earlier if it's possible for us to get a big bulk student discount and come down your way some time?

cave weta
7th April 2009, 11:53
haha, as students the bikes are probably out of your price range but the gear is reasonable considering it's the lot of it.

i was wondering earlier if it's possible for us to get a big bulk student discount and come down your way some time?

Read my Sig! 1/2 price rides for KBers till end of June - is that good enough?

and Im at woodhill tomorrow- will bring what Im told to bring..

motorbyclist
7th April 2009, 12:06

imho, helmet, gloves and goggles are minimum for woodhill. offroad gloves and boots are extremely recommended. cave weta has a good deal, as I only have (access to) the three pairs of boots all about the same size and one of those are mine

Am I allowed to ride the XL125? Enough free space? 8D I could probably get pants or boots by friday if needed

my gear would probably fit you, and you might be better off on the 250 despite the "perky" nature of the motor - either way it will be excellent practice for when you get your road bike. scooter round to my place and we'll see what fits and teach you the basics.

the 1985 xl125 is 3/4 size and due to the suspension and lack of displacement it wallows alot in the sand, especially with a full sized rider (ie jafa might be light enough to do ok on it without any 'how to get the most from your underpowered and undersized dirt bike' experience.)

motorbyclist
7th April 2009, 12:20
Read my Sig! 1/2 price rides for KBers till end of June - is that good enough?

*for waihi, not tomorrow*

The basic price of all tours is $250 per day/per person on your own bike or $360 per day/per person on one of our entry level hire bikes (or a little more for a high performance Enduro Bike).

guys - this is a fucking bargain. a tour on the trail bikes include the crf230 which are very good bikes, especially for newbies, and i'm dead keen to have a day on a crf450r or a ktm525:D

even better, i hear one of teh crf450r has two wheel drive:D:D

i mean, to take my own bike out for a day takes atleast an hour prepping and loading it, $25 of gas, $25-45 entry fee to parks/events, average $10 to replace broken levers/sprockets/pads/cable ties etc and average $10 on lubricants/fluids etc. then add petrol to get the bike there plus food for lunch!

but i should be saving for that pesky rebuild i need to do.....

cave weta
7th April 2009, 12:25
guys - this is a fucking bargain. the $55 trail bikes include the crf230 which i can say now a very good bikes, especially for newbies, and i'm dead keen to have a day on a crf450r or a ktm525 for a $90 day :D

even better, i hear one of teh crf450r has two wheel drive:D:D

i mean, to take my own bike out for a day takes atleast an hour prepping and loading it, $25 of gas, $25-45 entry fee to parks/events, average $10 to replace broken levers/sprockets/pads/cable ties etc and average $10 on lubricants/fluids etc. then add petrol to get the bike there plus food for lunch!

and i should be saving for that pesky rebuild i need to do.....

Read it again!- mr university student ! does it say hire bikes are 1/2 price?
or does it say that tours are 1/2 price.

It does not say flick me $55 and cane the living shit out of my bike for a day then walk away......

but yes, I can put you on one of two CRF250x with the Christini AWD system. they are incredible
But you will pay $189 for 4 hours - go here http://www.overthetopadventures.co.nz/christini-all-wheel-drive.htm

motorbyclist
7th April 2009, 12:36
yeah i re-read it before you replied - wishful thinking

swee
7th April 2009, 13:55
soooo, we going tomorow?

motorbyclist
7th April 2009, 14:12
asfaik, yes.

motorbyclist
7th April 2009, 18:24
right, so after 30 minutes of checking my plug etc etc i finally figured out why my bike won't start - i was pulling the hotstart not the choke :doh:

woot - my plug is still mint after two years:woohoo:

zzzbang
7th April 2009, 18:27
right, so after 30 minutes of checking my plug etc etc i finally figured out why my bike won't start - i was pulling the hotstart not the choke :doh:

woot - my plug is still mint after two years:woohoo:

lol, nice. So, we are all go for tomorrow?

Also... what time do we meet at sandpit? need to get the logistics figured out. 9.30-10am ish?

motorbyclist
7th April 2009, 20:28
right, so finally managed to get the remains of an outer race from the 250 front wheel and installed fresh air filters - both yamahards started first kick :first:

yeah we should be there by 10am in either a white accord wagon or silver/purple mitsubishi ute... just look for the trailer full of blue bikes :D

zzzbang
7th April 2009, 20:41
awesome, il be there in a white prado with a trailer.. white yamaha on the back (maybe two bikes).

macros87
7th April 2009, 21:54
i had hoped this would be friday day sometime... couldnt make it tomorrow anyhow...

Danae
7th April 2009, 22:09
Can't make it tomorrow. D: I have some random Bio revision lectures at like 10 or something, then karate at 3 and a friend's birthday at 5ish. DDD: Next time maybe. ):

motorbyclist
7th April 2009, 23:07
hrmmm.... well if i must i might be willing to go friday also:shifty:

Danae
7th April 2009, 23:10
Oh really? Yay! :clap: I'm so keen for some dirtbiking, even if I'm completely un-co about it

motorbyclist
7th April 2009, 23:55
right, it would appear that i can't make this friday....

next week sometime then... probably wednesday again

motorbyclist
8th April 2009, 00:04
and both swee and jafa have bailed out!

first in first served, kids - an xl125 and yz250

Real_Wolf
8th April 2009, 11:42
Hmm, I'm keen for the yz250, but I'd need to rent some gear.

Also would need a lift.

Danae
8th April 2009, 17:05
Do tell how it went, sorry again that I couldn't go. ): Just got home. I should be able to go next week. : D

zzzbang
8th April 2009, 18:58
Hmmmm. Went well untill about 3.30pm, had fun and such all good. Then i fell and bent my bars :whistle:, andrew took a detour to the other side of the park where he found a cliff to ride on. search party went out then he was back at the cars when we got back. :ride:

cave weta
8th April 2009, 19:04
Hmmmm. Went well untill about 3.30pm, had fun and such all good. Then i fell and bent my bars :whistle:, andrew took a detour to the other side of the park where he found a cliff to ride on. search party went out then he was back at the cars when we got back. :ride:

That sounds like the abridged version ...

I bet the fun and laughter was in the detail?
Did you hit a tree?
did andrew ride on a cliff or off a cliff?
Photos???

zzzbang
8th April 2009, 19:07
no.. not a tree. just a straight road with some bumps and a wheelie gone wrong.. sigh. (damn retard moments.)

il let the other guys fill in the detail :P

macros87
8th April 2009, 22:05
no.. not a tree. just a straight road with some bumps and a wheelie gone wrong.. sigh. (damn retard moments.)

il let the other guys fill in the detail :P

i must admit, that was a very impressive bail man! when i stopped i thought i was there to help you pick of the pieces of your bike.. and well... pieces of you that might have been lying around as well! for what it looked like, you got off pretty well :) what did your dad say about his not so unbendable handle bars ?

motorbyclist
8th April 2009, 23:20
i must say zzzbang is a fast rider, and that the 06 yz450f with steering dampener can clearly corner faster and traverse whoops easier than my 98 yz400f with a leaky fork and shocking rear rim. first few corners i hit at his pace involved a bit of "oh shit'" and a lot of sideways sliding of both wheels:crazy:

did andrew ride on a cliff or off a cliff?

off a cliff

me and zzzbang planned to go to the superbowl then big dipper - get to the first major junction at the end of the main access track and he's nowhere to be seen due to aforementioned wheelie. wondering where he is i wait for aaages then go on anyway, have a good play in the bowl and then go onto the dipper (noob crash on the way where i may have twisted the front end a little). straight in and out of the dipper with no troubles (only guy to hit it all day). on one of the hills shortly thereafter i'm riding along, thinking 'man i don't wanna fall off that', at which point the bike nearly does. I get her under control and then it just steers 90 degrees straight off the track:doh:

but not to worry, a tree stopped the bike after a couple of metres leaving me curled up on my back, upside down in the cutty-grass under the bike:2thumbsup

climbed back up and saw that pulling her back up the hill was a bit out of the question considering the slope to be about 5 degrees shy of vertical. no way the quad could do that track nor tow it out and as it just started raining i cbf walking back. So, I have a brief attempt at hauling the bike out, then I put some branches across the track and went for a walk to see if i could ride her out: some grunting later, some bees, a very steep hill decent through bush, a trip through a swamp and a bail on an old fencepost and i am back on the track. get back to the carpark and apparently i've been gone for 40 minutes and everyone is out looking for me:innocent:

zzzbang
8th April 2009, 23:31
i must admit, that was a very impressive bail man! when i stopped i thought i was there to help you pick of the pieces of your bike.. and well... pieces of you that might have been lying around as well! for what it looked like, you got off pretty well :) what did your dad say about his not so unbendable handle bars ?

haha, well he was suprised about them being bent. seems we have a spare handlebar (exact same ones) in the shed so quick swap will have it good as new. hmm.. and the rubber marks from my soles that were on the sidecovers cleaned up nicely too :apumpin:

motorbyclist
8th April 2009, 23:51
cleaned?!

psssh, if there's no battle scars or love bites then you're wasting a lot of valuable riding time:oi-grr:

cave weta
9th April 2009, 07:57
went for a walk to see if i could ride her out: some grunting later, some bees, a very steep hill decent through bush, a trip through a swamp and a bail on an old fencepost and i am back on the track. get back to the carpark and apparently i've been gone for 40 minutes and everyone is out looking for me:innocent:

That sounds just like us down here on the Coromandel when we go exploring!
some days we use hardly any gas cos we spend so long figuring out how we will get the bikes from point A to point B when we have gullys swamps and gorse in the way!

I heard from a pig hunter just the other day about a massive 80 metre waterfall that is in the hills on a straight line between Katikati and Te Aroha.
I asked a pilot mate and he confirmed that it is there and is huge and seems to have tracks nearby so I got my maps out. Yep its all marked, with tracks too.
So now Im looking for two or three hard bastards to come find it with me!
It looks about 20km from the road

Danae
9th April 2009, 16:00
No casualties or hospital trips? That's good. Damn I missed a very eventful day!

motorbyclist
9th April 2009, 19:49
So now Im looking for two or three hard bastards to come find it with me!
It looks about 20km from the road

what grade of track? my YZ has small radiators that like to overheat/explode if i'm riding too slowly

zzzbang
9th April 2009, 19:54
Well, new bars are fitted and ready for the next ride :ride:

Danae
10th April 2009, 23:28
Good job! Man I really want to come along to the next offroad ride. Should learn how to ride dirt bikes first mind you. XD

cave weta
14th April 2009, 13:48
what grade of track? my YZ has small radiators that like to overheat/explode if i'm riding too slowly

WE wont know till we get there. - some say that Taniwha live in the deeper bogs.
all we know is that, We will be taking a bit of gear.

GSXR Trace
17th April 2009, 09:14
right... my last exam is 29 June... im thinking could be fun to do dirt bike day at waihi 30th? hahaha