PDA

View Full Version : Law chance for learner licence. WHEN?

puppydog
9th April 2009, 10:53
I’m just a newbie with a nice shinny brand new learner licence looking for my first bike.
But I would really like to know more about the possible law chance regarding the maximum cc rating rising to 650cc to come into line with Oz.
Does anyone have any up to date info they could share?
I have had a good look around in the Internet but have come up blank. If the law was to change soon, some bike prices could change drastically, and now may not be the best time for me to purchase my first bike.
Thanks.

aewilliam
9th April 2009, 12:47
hmmmm...last I read somewhere from memory was proposed to be in 2011.
Thing is, one would assume that it would be notified a fiar bit in advance. So this time period may affect when prices are affected too...
It would be strange to see that the bottom would fall outof the 250market if such a law change was made though. There are many differences in the gap between the 250s and 650s (weight, size etc) that could have the prices stay relatively stable. If this is of concern, maybe you could do some research into what happened to the AU 250cc market.
One would suggest getting a bike that would be learner legal now, but not after...i.e. one of the 2strokes (2T) - RGV250, RS250, NSR250...which can give the learn to a learner illegal (NZ) or legal (AU) 650 :devil2:
I doubt that they would retrospectively ban all current learner owners of a 250cc 2T rocket from riding them (well, without any compensation of sorts or dispensation to upgrade their licence...) if the law changed.
Thereagain, there may be many nay-sayers in the idea of suggesting a 2smoker to be placed the wrists of a learner. But I loved my RS on my learners, and still do on my full :msn-wink:
The other option is to get your 4T 250cc, learn it, love it, and by the time the gubberment makes up their mind, you woudl have probbly got your full licence by then :laugh:

Holy Roller
9th April 2009, 17:03
During my "I" Indorsement course they said it is planned for Sept this year.