PDA

View Full Version : Guatemala bans pillions on motorcycles

Bob
10th April 2009, 00:36
The Guatemalan government has banned bikers from carrying pillions. In addition, it will be mandatory for the rider to wear a fluorescent jacket and a helmet, which must have the vehicles registration number displayed on it (probably weakening the chemical composition of the helmet and rendering it useless).

The reason for the new law is that research has shown that 60% of Guatemala’s murders are committed on motorcycles, with the hitman riding pillion.

In Guatemala – average 17 murders a day in a (rapidly reducing) population of 13 million - it is common to see up to three people riding on the same motorbike.

On the plus side, it will no longer be necessary to tick the “no pillions to be carried” box on insurance proposal forms…

Laxi
10th April 2009, 03:10
title had me going there, thought this was a safty issue but in that country the police are as effective as george bush was for world peace, and safety is making sure the pins in the grenade properly before you shove it in your pocket:laugh:

mujambee
10th April 2009, 07:35
... and a helmet, which must have the vehicles registration number displayed on it

So if you want to swap bikes with your mate you'll also have to swap helmets? :sick:

rosie631
10th April 2009, 07:48
The Guatemalan government has banned bikers from carrying pillions. In addition, it will be mandatory for the rider to wear a fluorescent jacket and a helmet, which must have the vehicles registration number displayed on it (probably weakening the chemical composition of the helmet and rendering it useless).

The reason for the new law is that research has shown that 60% of Guatemala’s murders are committed on motorcycles, with the hitman riding pillion.

In Guatemala – average 17 murders a day in a (rapidly reducing) population of 13 million - it is common to see up to three people riding on the same motorbike.

On the plus side, it will no longer be necessary to tick the “no pillions to be carried” box on insurance proposal forms…

WTF! Pleased I don't live there. Although, it would have solved my problem of always being stuck with my partner on the back of the bike LOL

Ecclesnz
10th April 2009, 14:44
WTF! Pleased I don't live there. Although, it would have solved my problem of always being stuck with my partner on the back of the bike LOL

So would a low branch ;)

*evil grin*