PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone users caught by CCTV cars

Bob
12th April 2009, 00:14
Drivers who use their mobile phones while driving – a common cause of collisions with motorcyclists – can be caught on CCTV in a pilot scheme being trialled by Greater Manchester, UK police.

The pilot consists of two Smart cars, which have a 3.6m (12ft) mast with a camera attached. The cars park at junctions to monitor traffic, and if a ‘distracted’ driver is spotted (using their mobile, opening food etc), then the camera can record their actions and numberplate. Anyone caught using a mobile will receive a £60 fine and three points on their licence. Fines could also be imposed on drivers considered to be driving without due care and attention.

According to the Drivesafe partnership, 406 collisions in Greater Manchester in the last two years can be attributed to distracted drivers – 51 of those are directly attributed to mobile phone use.

munterk6
14th April 2009, 07:59
The thing that really pisses me off is seeing drivers text messaging whilst driving GRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I see it all the time and I give them a piece of my mind if Im able :angry2: