PDA

View Full Version : Throttle restricting?

A_Mans_Ruin
13th April 2009, 10:33
Hey y'all....
My kids have a couple of pit bikes, I am thinking of buying them bigger bikes now and want to hand the pit bikes down to my youger kiddies...
I am wanting to know how to restrict the throttle on the 50cc so my wee man cant blast off down the road...

Gadgit
13th April 2009, 11:06
Your best bet is to restrict the exhaust... At a guess they are 2 stroke engines with a centrifical clutch?? so restricting the throttle may cause alot of clutch wear as it wont be able to get on the clutch right. Try fitting a washer with a smaller hole then the exhaust , between the exhaust flange and where it bolts to the head. A bit like a gasket. This will allow the engine to still produce the toque required to get on the clutch but will restruct the revs. Might take a few geos to get the right size washer.

Z1_ZPF_BOY
13th April 2009, 11:22
hi, try a mini quad throttle, to restrict it all you have to do is screw in the little screw and it restricts the throttle. you can also restrict to any level, so when he gets better you can unscrew it so it goes faster.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Other/auction-212901687.htm

hope this helps,

Connor

grantman
14th April 2009, 21:02
Gadgit is probably right about restricting the pipe as it needs revs for the clutch to engage.

We have used this method for 50 cc four stroke dirt bikes

Remove the thottle slide
cut a small peice of tube about 10mm
place on top of the throttle slide so the throttle slide cannot go all the way up

this will mean the throttle can olny be opened 1/4 open.

Hopefully this will mean they can get enough power to get going but not go to fast.

Cheers

Leyton
18th April 2009, 12:51
Gadget is %104 correct with the washer.