PDA

View Full Version : Just got one...

Azzman
13th April 2009, 21:36
Just scored myself a chinese pocket bike for nothing off my father (who got it brand new for next to nothing), and have a question about the exhaust, which is very loud.
It has a split pin and spring on the end which holds the end cap, and the entire can on...can I remove the end cap and pack fibreglass matting around the pipe to get the noise level down a bit, and shall I drill more holes in the pipe, currently it has about 3 rows of holes which only go a third of the way up.

Also how do you tell what sort of replica it is...

Am keen to come along to Mt Welly sometime and see what its all about...

Cheers

Laxi
13th April 2009, 21:41
if this is the type I think it is, be carful, i bought 1 for my kids to get there ballance on for xmas, was "testing" it the day before xmas eve, foot peg snapped clan off (my weight wasnt even on it),foot went underneath, bike came down and slid for 5 or 6 metres

Z1_ZPF_BOY
13th April 2009, 21:44
put up a pic and we'll tell you what replica it is.

BigAl
13th April 2009, 21:45
If it is air cooled i.e. doesn't have a radiator then it is probably what is referred to as a Daytona 2. As in http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Pocket-pit-bikes/auction-211760063.htm

It might initially sound loud but once you are riding them with a helmet on they are fine. I have heard of packing batts around the pipe inside the silencer and it shouldn't affect power.

You'll really enjoy Mt Wellington just make sure you have the required gear and no side stand or metal pegs. Search this forum as there are plenty of tips.

cheers.

Gadgit
13th April 2009, 21:46
Hi yip pull the pin and stuff it with steel wool or exhaust pack.. The pipe is very week so drilling more holes may not be a good idea. Most fall off after a few races and home made jobs are fitted lol.
At a guess you have a Daytona 2 (97% of the air cooled bikes on trade me are daytona 2's) but thats just going from your type of muffler fitted as it was only fitted to one other rep witch ran a watter cooled engine.

Mt welly next weekend put some nylon pegs on and if it has a side stand wack it off, this will make the bike track friendly.

Azzman
13th April 2009, 21:58
Yup, pretty much the same as the one in the pic but with the different muffler and it has a full plastic chainguard on it.

Are the pegs in that one pictured ok to use? They seem to be plastic...

Gadgit
13th April 2009, 23:05
The standed ones will only be good for one or two slides as they are not very good but all you need to do is drill a hole in a piece of round nylon get rid of the factory pegs (alloy clamp and all ) bash the nylon on to the frame mount and your set.

Azzman
14th May 2009, 19:29
Well the first time I rode it I broke the pesky foot peg! LOL
So where do I get some of this Delrin rod from to make some more, and what sort of diametre is recommended?

Oh and packing the muffler helped diddly squat to quieten it down...

Laxi
14th May 2009, 19:35
Well the first time I rode it I broke the pesky foot peg! LOL
So where do I get some of this Delrin rod from to make some more, and what sort of diametre is recommended?

Oh and packing the muffler helped diddly squat to quieten it down...

my psychic abilities are getting well honed:rofl:

BigAl
14th May 2009, 19:44

Places like Handtool house, just get some 30mm rod & drill a 12mm hole into it.

Cut a flat on top for comfort & hit the track.:yes:

Sidewinder
14th May 2009, 19:49
Just scored myself a chinese pocket bike for nothing off my father (who got it brand new for next to nothing), and have a question about the exhaust, which is very loud.
It has a split pin and spring on the end which holds the end cap, and the entire can on...can I remove the end cap and pack fibreglass matting around the pipe to get the noise level down a bit, and shall I drill more holes in the pipe, currently it has about 3 rows of holes which only go a third of the way up.

Also how do you tell what sort of replica it is...

Am keen to come along to Mt Welly sometime and see what its all about...

Cheers

well if its two stroke you dont fuck with the pipe or airbox unless you know what your doing or dont care about the bike. what sort of replica is it? well dude just look at it and it will answer your question, what kinda bike does it look like, kinda easy bro!

Z1_ZPF_BOY
14th May 2009, 21:59
well if its two stroke you dont fuck with the pipe or airbox unless you know what your doing or dont care about the bike. what sort of replica is it? well dude just look at it and it will answer your question, what kinda bike does it look like, kinda easy bro!

It will prob be a D2.... most popular chinese pocket bike/minimoto on the market.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Pocket-pit-bikes/auction-217433577.htm