PDA

View Full Version : Seized RGV250 advice?

Seraph
14th April 2009, 01:54
I was on my way home from my parents place today on my rgv, and it seemed to be riding a little oddly. It wouldnt rev under load and was generally slugish and unresponsive. Around half way home things went wrong in a hurry, the rev's dropped off and all of a sundden the rear wheel locked up and that was it. Luckily, having payed attention to the issues it was having I was babying it along at around 45 and managed to get the clutch in very quickly.
Odly enough the engine will still kick over and fire, but won't idle and doesnt like to rev atall. I only checked this when i finally got it home and switched it straight off to prevent anymore damage.
It has plenty of oil and wasnt making any weird noises to my knowlege before tonights incident.

Can anyone shed any light on what's happened and what i should do about it??

eelracing
14th April 2009, 08:30
You're thread title suggests you know what happened,but what to do?will depend on if you have a half decent set of tools.First thing i would do is inspect the cylinder/piston and rings.IF you need to know how to do that,then i suggest you might want to take it to a knowledgeable mechanic.
If a piston has nipped up the worst case scenario is that bits of piston or a ring could have dropped down into the crankcase (but hopefully may have been sucked out the exhaust)either way you gotta inspect for seizure.

ypvs kiwi
15th April 2009, 12:37
Hi, my guess would be a power valve has given up the ghost and given the piston a smack - quite common for these bikes.

Suggested course of action -
DO NOT RUN THE BIKE. This will only add to the repair costs

If you have a set of tools and a manual it's not a difficult job to open-up the power valve covers, drop off the pipes and take a look - this will soon tell you the extent of the damage. Last one I did was best part of $1000 to replace cylinder, piston, both sets of rings, gaskets etc... PV's were good.

If you need to take it to a mechanic please be sure to ask if they have rgv experience. I am currently working on one which a 'mechanic' fixed for the last owner six months back - the motor is now a write-off:bash:.

Cheers.

Squiggles
15th April 2009, 13:04
Advice? Sell it to me.

PV's kissing pistons can be rather expensive

Shaun P
15th April 2009, 13:35
Yeah the power valves have a tendancy to fall out on to the piston as they are only held in by a roll pin I think.

Seraph
15th April 2009, 20:42
as far as i can recall there were no loud bangs or anything else to suggest a PV drop...
I havnt had time to get it to my workshop ay my parents to pull it appart yet..
Sighs..
If anyone is interested in buying it the way it is, send me a PM, I really dont have time time at the moment to fix the thing.

nsrpaul
19th April 2009, 20:16
doesnt happen to powervalves on nsr's

but seriously don't run the motor, theres alawys a slim change the barrels serviceable, less every time you turn it over