PDA

View Full Version : Dumbshiite way to stuff an engine

Radar
15th April 2009, 10:13
A friend of mine was commuting to work when he felt a loss of power, looked down and noticed oil gushing out all over his boot. What do you think he did then? Yep, you guessed it: :gob: He kept riding!! :eek5:

He rode 5 km's to a bike shop with practically no oil in his bike. The mechanic at the shop told him he was surprised the bike actually made it all the way.

Second dumbshiite way to stuff an engine: Let a friend change the oil and filter on your bike because "he knows what he is doing" - and don't bother to check that he installed the oil filter correctly.

The correct procedure is: Tighten as per the specifications, no more no less, replace the O rings (if not part of the filter itself) if necessary, and smear a bit of oil on the O rings before tightening the filter. (If there are other things, post them here.) Failure to do these things is the most likely cause of my mate's bike losing a lot of oil only a few days after the oil and filter was changed.

Another dumbshiite way - Keep riding when your bike loses coolant (if your bike is water cooled).

Losing a few drops of oil or water is usually not reason to stop riding, but you will need to be careful and get the leak fixed 'sometime soon'. If, however, your bike leaks a large quantity of water or oil, DO NOT RIDE YOUR BIKE.

BTW, my mate is generally a fairly smart guy. On his way to work when his bike lost oil, he must have sucked in some diesel fumes to make him suddenly stupid. I dunno, I thought most everyone would know that riding / driving a vehicle without oil or coolant :wacko: would stuff an engine.

sharky
15th April 2009, 10:24
Your mate eh.........:whistle:

Damz
15th April 2009, 21:42
Your mate eh.........:whistle:

Hahaha, had to be said :clap:

DarkLord
18th April 2009, 02:36
Bugger.

What sort of bike was it?

nodrog
18th April 2009, 07:13
is your mate Eddies superbike mechanic?

FROSTY
19th April 2009, 09:35
just a little note here. I drop a smear of oil on the filter threads
Cant say its needed but I figure it could prevent issues

LBD
19th April 2009, 09:45
He rode 5 km's to a bike shop with practically no oil in his bike. The mechanic at the shop told him he was surprised the bike actually made it all the way.

- and don't bother to check that he installed the oil filter correctly.

- Keep riding when your bike loses coolant (if your bike is water cooled).

push the plastic plug into the filter thread so when the filter is fitted, it blocks the oil flow....

Not tightening oil filter....

Forgetting to fill the oil....

Wipe the old filters clean, punch a hole in the bottom of the old filter to drain the oil before removing....then forgetting to replace filter....

Fitting wrong filter so that it does not seal....

And my fav, running over a boulder so big it wped of the 1/4 inch thick steel bash plate and 1/2 the cast aluminum sump....but will keep going until the end of shift with all these bells and alarms going off, then hand the truck to the next operator and hope he does not notice....

(Admittedly these are not bike examples, but all are within the last 6 months where I work)