PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone trust these trademe bikes?

sil3nt
16th April 2009, 21:07
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=1325269&mcat=0001-0026-

They seem to sell for less than $200. Im guessing they are likely to break easily although im wondering if anyone has taken the risk? Im not about to buy one but i am curious about them

DELLORTO
16th April 2009, 21:11
ive had twelve and it realy depends if you a paitent carm person.......

ive crashed every single one ive owned....dosnt hurt just abit of fun...

buy one and come for a blat at mt wellington...at that price its totaly worth it......just make sure you can fit on one first....:2thumbsup

grantman
16th April 2009, 21:31
Trust ..... if you mean do we ride them
well yes
most of us started on them and still ride them as backup bikes

TRUST is doing 40KPH on something that small with your ass that close to the ground!

Good fun though
Come and have a go

sil3nt
16th April 2009, 21:42
Sorry i was talking about those particular bikes that person is listing. Other pocket bikes seem to sell for $300+
I was wondering if anyone had purchased one from this trader they seem a little dodgy.

I have had a go on my mates pocketbike it was fun and i wouldn't mind getting one at some stage.

DELLORTO
16th April 2009, 22:11
Sorry i was talking about those particular bikes that person is listing. Other pocket bikes seem to sell for $300+
I was wondering if anyone had purchased one from this trader they seem a little dodgy.

I have had a go on my mates pocketbike it was fun and i wouldn't mind getting one at some stage.

i bet that trader is very very very very very very very very dodgy......i could go on but its late..........:zzzz:

grantman
16th April 2009, 22:38
They do sound really cheap

But they may clearing stock

I brought a watercooled bike for $290 just because they were clearing out thier stock.
I would pay on pick up if I were you

As the model goes most of the chinese air cooled bikes are the same
some are ok ...some are really bad
Its the workmanship that varies
Its really just luck in the end

hope that helps

Cheers

Z1_ZPF_BOY
16th April 2009, 23:03
The Daytona 2 isn't the most reliable bike, but you can make them reliable if you know how. If you know what your doing they are a great buy. Many people claim they are pieces of crap, they just don't know how to fix them.

Once you've been on the bike a few times you will be hungry for more power and will want a W/C.

GO FOR IT!:2thumbsup

DELLORTO
17th April 2009, 00:06
if your hungry for power you'd go for a gsxr1000 :whistle:

Spyke
17th April 2009, 01:27
be prepared to work on them every time you ride them. It aint the motor that normally plays up its the other stuff (carb seals, chains, cheap tyres, cheap nuts and bolts, cheap chain guards, brakes) but all those things can be made better for little or no money. They are good fun when they work!!!

Yeah you'll want more power in no time so just buy a goo water cooled then you'll be happy for ages. (but don't go spending 1000's on it cause you'll regret buying it at some stage)

CookMySock
17th April 2009, 08:50
be prepared to work on them every time you ride them. Well, almost. If you are prepared to pull bits off and make them better, you eventually get a bike you can just race. But yeah theres lots to do first, especially if you get a dud one. Think of them as a collection of bike parts, assembled wrong by your sister - you get to do one lap and then work of them for a week - good fun if you are so inclined, but they are not a consumer item.

Yeah you'll want more power in no time so just buy a goo water cooled then you'll be happy for ages. This is the advice we received on KB before we bought our watercooled bikes, and it did not work out well for us. Basically, you get to race them in the watercooled and open classes - so be prepared to be resoundly thrashed by the rest of the field, and then sit there and watch everyone race for the next hour because your bike can't be raced against the daytonas etc. Racing isn't about power - its about track time, and the aircooled bikes will get you the most track time.

Steve

Tank
17th April 2009, 08:53
Well, almost. If you are prepared to pull bits off and make them better, you eventually get a bike you can just race. But yeah theres lots to do first, especially if you get a dud one. Think of them as a collection of bike parts, assembled wrong by your sister - you get to do one lap and then work of them for a week - good fun if you are so inclined, but they are not a consumer item.

Steve - they are talking about the pitbikes in the link - not the Hyosung.

...so be prepared to be resoundly thrashed by the rest of the field, and then sit there and watch everyone race for the next hour because your bike can't be raced against the daytonas etc. Racing isn't about power - its about track time, and the aircooled bikes will get you the most track time.

Steve

Racing isnt about track time. Its about talent and skill. A poor workman blames his tools.

imdying
17th April 2009, 12:42
They are indeed total pieces of crap... and yes, you'll need to work on them a bit at first, less so as you iron the bugs out.

But!!! They cost less than a weeks worth of groceries, so that is to be expected!

They're very easy to work on, and most of the truly shitty bits will become apparent quite quickly. Definitely worth having one though, great to throw your mates on for a bit of fun. TBH, don't buy one, buy two... I guarantee you'll have more than double the fun :yes:

Take them home, take them to bits, replace all the fasteners, adjust and tighten everything, then enjoy (till it breaks down, but the breaking down is generally pretty minor... shitty ignition system wiring, high and low tension side, comes to mind immediately).

Gadgit
17th April 2009, 15:01
Quality is the same over the range. The seller on TM is trying to move volume and just because they start at $1 dosn't mean they sell for that. The importer can imoprt a 40ft container of them for $90 a bike so anything over is profit and when he's selling 30 a week the money comes in alot faster then setting a price of $250 and sitting on one bike for a week

smoky
17th April 2009, 15:20

Any one with 134012 positive feedbacks has got to have fudged that figure for sure - and don't think it can't be done, it can

racefactory
17th April 2009, 15:40
the bikes are really not that bad, very simple so you really get what you pay for.

What they absolutely do need though is setting up before you use them.

most common faults:

leaking fuel from carb overflow- clean carb/ bend the float fork down a fraction.

brakes shit- adjust the cables and find out how they all work. Back brake often drags like hell due to not straight disc too.

shit plug fouls and causes all kinds of trouble- replace the plug with ngk.

things fall off the bike or come loose- tighten all bolts well before useage and get the locktite out.

shite tyres with twitchy handling- get some zhongya slicks or if you can afford them get some savas, a lot more stable at high lean angle.

lots of unnecessary drag- look over the brakes, check the chain tension, wheel alignment.

various running problems (bike not starting at all, bike dying after being run for only few mins, bike running lean, bike running rich) - usually all caused by shit fuel, dirty fuel tank, amazingly poor quality fuel filter often put on reverse way. get a proper motorcycle fuel filter, fixed. alternatively it will be a dirt carb. these little things get dirty quick- just take it off and give it a good clean with carb cleaner, all done.

i think thats all tat can go wrong with these bikes. they are great fun for the money.

CookMySock
17th April 2009, 17:32
amazingly poor quality fuel filter often put on reverse way. get a proper motorcycle fuel filter, fixed.I had problems with fuel flow at sustained full throttle using sintered fuel filters, so dont use those.

Steve

EJT
17th April 2009, 19:00
i bet that trader is very very very very very very very very dodgy......i could go on but its late..........:zzzz:

Just looking at the terms and conditions is enough to put me off:

"NOTE DISCLAIMER: We do not offer refunds on Pocket Bikes. If your Bikes performance is in question, a return to base (at buyers cost) for a full assessment & or any repairs. ANY OTHER ATTEMPTED REPAIRS WILL VOID WARRANTY. If ANY damage occurs to Bike during use, we can supply parts at your cost. Should the bike arrive with any faults, PRIOR TO USE, we will gladly do any repairs req free of charge, upon its return. If we are unable to repair or replace your Bike, a refund will be offered with management approval, upon the 'intact' return of Bike. ie (brand new item, with all accessories, in box, returned in perfect condition). FREIGHT CHARGES ARE NON REFUNDABLE."

How do you know it has faults unless you use it??? And refund with management approval only if they can't repair. Sounds like he hasn't heard of the Consumer Guarantees Act to me.

BigAl
17th April 2009, 21:04
I had problems with fuel flow at sustained full throttle using sintered fuel filters, so dont use those.
Steve

Hey Steve, re. filter in pic.

I'm running those filters in my 2 W/C bikes 14 & 19mm carbs and haven't had any issues. I also know at least 2 other racers who are using the same without problems.

Maybe your fuel flow problem relates to something else?

CookMySock
17th April 2009, 21:16

I'm running those filters in my 2 W/C bikes 14 & 19mm carbs and haven't had any issues. I also know at least 2 other racers who are using the same without problems.

Maybe your fuel flow problem relates to something else?I dunno bro.

It would four-stroke at full rpm (lifted back wheel) for about ten seconds and then revv up and then clean cut (lean out and then no fuel) so we pulled that filter out (fixed the cut) and put an adjustable main jet in it (fixed the four stroking) and now its mint.

Any suggestions?

Steve

BigAl
17th April 2009, 21:36
Yeah they can be buggers.

Maybe you had a faulty filter, but hey if you've got it running right don't touch it eh;)

racefactory
17th April 2009, 21:44

Maybe your fuel flow problem relates to something else?

I am also running this filter- no problems....

aff-man
17th April 2009, 21:56
buy one... take it to pieces rebuild it... with locktight and they are oodles of fun.....

sil3nt
17th April 2009, 22:09
Just looking at the terms and conditions is enough to put me off:

"NOTE DISCLAIMER: We do not offer refunds on Pocket Bikes. If your Bikes performance is in question, a return to base (at buyers cost) for a full assessment & or any repairs. ANY OTHER ATTEMPTED REPAIRS WILL VOID WARRANTY. If ANY damage occurs to Bike during use, we can supply parts at your cost. Should the bike arrive with any faults, PRIOR TO USE, we will gladly do any repairs req free of charge, upon its return. If we are unable to repair or replace your Bike, a refund will be offered with management approval, upon the 'intact' return of Bike. ie (brand new item, with all accessories, in box, returned in perfect condition). FREIGHT CHARGES ARE NON REFUNDABLE."

How do you know it has faults unless you use it??? And refund with management approval only if they can't repair. Sounds like he hasn't heard of the Consumer Guarantees Act to me.Everything about this trader screams dodgy. Over 1000 negative feedbacks. All listings are cheap but have shipping costs that are way over what shipping would actually cost. And why would someone bid $200 for one when they do not seem to go for anywhere near that. Wouldn't surprise me if they have people bumping up the price.

SpeedyGirl
19th April 2009, 18:42
i just bought one of thesee bikes and the dealer does not seem so bad to me. shipping price is extreme but they are well packed so im left feeling only slightly ripped.

first thing to buy is a chain as mine died before i even rode the bike but i knew this was going to happen so no issue.

CookMySock
19th April 2009, 19:26
i just bought one of thesee bikes and the dealer does not seem so bad to me. shipping price is extreme but they are well packed so im left feeling only slightly ripped.

first thing to buy is a chain as mine died before i even rode the bike but i knew this was going to happen so no issue.Thats odd. The chains last quite well usually, unless you don't oil them. Just use chainsaw-bar lube.

It will be quite different to your bandit you know! ;)

Steve

sil3nt
20th April 2009, 00:32

first thing to buy is a chain as mine died before i even rode the bike but i knew this was going to happen so no issue.please let us know how it all goes!

Laxi
20th April 2009, 00:48
they,re fast enough (I was doing about 45 when the left footpeg snapped off and my foot went under the bike, exelent road rash!) but problems you can expect are week foot pegs as above, plastic hand levers (as found out when 1 snaped off during above),plug fouls, over heats like crazy and carb need cleaning after about 3 hours use

CookMySock
20th April 2009, 07:31
plug fouls, over heats like crazy and carb need cleaning after about 3 hours useYeah the chinese plug that comes with it should be thrown away and replaced with an NGK before you even put fuel in it. It's really important to use quality fuel and oil in these engines.

Steve

mohawk
20th April 2009, 18:45
Whats the plug number?

BigAl
20th April 2009, 21:26
Plug = NGK BM6A

grantman
20th April 2009, 23:42
Hi Alan
Whats the one I should use in my GRC rep?
NGK?
Cheers

CookMySock
21st April 2009, 07:41
NGK is probably the most widely used and respected spark plug for bikes. Just check that the electrode length is the same as the one you took out, set the plug gap, and turn it in all the way with your fingers before you tweak it firm, not tight. Pull the engine over gently a few turns first to make sure its not interfering.

Steve

BigAl
21st April 2009, 09:53
Hi Alan
Whats the one I should use in my GRC rep?

I'm using an NGK B7ES, Grant.

grantman
21st April 2009, 11:48
Thanks

Will get one for next meeting
changed the front sprocket and its heaps smoother now

Slowly getting there

FLYMO
7th June 2009, 19:22
for the little 2 strokes as long as ur using a ngk plug that doesnt havea "p" in the code u shouldnt have a problem with the piston hitting the plug
the "P"stands for protruding

Laxi
16th June 2009, 21:17
can anyone help me with a problem im having with 1 of these bikes? it starts 1st pull every time, idles fine, revs fine but then when the kids try to ride it it bogs and hardly moves then dies

Gadgit
16th June 2009, 21:29
Smokes before cutting out?? or clean?

Leaning out. Clean carb if thats the case. Check spark plug if it's the one it came with then biff it and get a NGK, champion or denso replacment this may also be the cause. Has the coil moved this can cause weak spark if it's too far from the flywheel. blocked air filter lack of air under load.

Laxi
16th June 2009, 21:38
Smokes before cutting out?? or clean?

Leaning out. Clean carb if thats the case. Check spark plug if it's the one it came with then biff it and get a NGK, champion or denso replacment this may also be the cause. Has the coil moved this can cause weak spark if it's too far from the flywheel. blocked air filter lack of air under load.

thanks for the info, havnt noticed smoke, changed the spark plug out when i got it, checked that and not fouled, will check the coil and clean the carb and see if that fixes it

CookMySock
17th June 2009, 09:46
can anyone help me with a problem im having with 1 of these bikes? it starts 1st pull every time, idles fine, revs fine but then when the kids try to ride it it bogs and hardly moves then diesI'd get a new plug and close the gap up a little, and then try that. These little engines are not really designed for kids to putt around on them - they foul up and go nowhere. They are intended for a good caning on the track.

You might try a hotter sparkplug in it - it will not foul so quickly then.

Steve

Junkers
16th July 2009, 13:52
Thought I would add my experience on here despite the oldish post.

I bought one off the trader in question and had a few problems with it. The starter snapped after 4 pulls, after replacing that i found I had a complete dud bike. It's true, they will NOT honour their warranty in anyway unless you want to pay for shipping ($130 there and back in my case) and have not changed a single thing about the bike.

To be honest I have been through numerous carburetors (including a dellorto rep), a few starters and one replacement motor. But If I were to loose the bike some how I would buy another, they are so much fun when they work. Today my genuine dellorto PHBG 19BS carb arrived. I might throw up a thread when i get round to putting it on.

On the other hand my flatmate has one which hasn't had anything go wrong with his except the original starter snapping and the footpegs falling off. Lucky bastard.

If you don't mind fixing the thing, having a few tantrums and having people laugh at/with you, GO FOR IT.

newmanz
13th August 2009, 11:50

You get what you pay for.
Cheap bikes are made from low quality parts
As long as your not track racing it is not a problem, if you are going to track race I would go and view the bikes first,

Check;

welding : are the welds good, no air bubbles, no gaps, nice clean welds (almost impossible to find good welds on cheaper bikes)

Frame : is it straight? ( you can see from the sides and just a basic measurement from A to B, is the frame even ( most factories on cheap bikes just hold the steel and weld... no actual quality control.. just the Ol Eyecromiter... looks straight... so it is kinda stuff

Get them to run the bike for you ( or you may get it home and it wont start.. faulty coil or carb... cheap enough to fix but a pain if you have to take bike back

Cheap bikes are a good place to start, parts are easily available and you can make a cheap bike run well with a few good parts.

ALWAYS UPGRADE THE SPARKPLUG TO AN NGK PLUG !!!!!!!!

{.bLanK}G_o_D
18th August 2009, 12:12
Not only is the NGK a better quality spark plug x10, I have heard that the Torch plugs that come with many of the Chinese bikes have a tendency to fall apart and damage pistons bores etc.
The left foot peg on my D2 rep broke the first time I put my foot on it. The right broke 5m down the drive. Brought some 30mm nylon rod, cut it 80mm long, drilled a hole (11mm IIRC) 50mm deep into the end and hammered it onto the metal shaft where the foot peg bracket goes.
Not only are the welds crap on most of them, but the metal they use is of very poor quality. I chose to braze all of our repairs rather than weld them, the metal is so brittle that it breaks around a weld, the welds, poor as they are, don't usually break. The side fairing brackets are the first to go, and when they do they take a piece of metal out from the main frame rail which weakens the frame to a point where i reckon it'd bend in half or snap right at that point. Any one have any photos of that?
Don't get me wrong, these things are a bundle of fun, if the Chinese never built these cheap crap ripp offs, most of us wouldn't be riding minimotos.