PDA

View Full Version : Essex parish wants to leave potholes as “natural traffic calming”

Bob
17th April 2009, 01:33
We all know that potholes are dangerous. Unfortunately, one parish council in England doesn't quite understand this...

Navestock Parish Council wants potholes to be left unfilled for longer, claiming they act as ‘natural traffic calming’ measures!

Parish councillor Richard Folkson said “It takes a lot of time and resources to chase the county council to maintain the roads around the village. Potholes are natural traffic calming. If you fill them in, it just allows people to drive faster down these roads. If they're not filled, they have to slow down."

Road safety charity Brake denounced the claims, saying “The reality is that potholes are dangerous for vulnerable road users, such as cyclists and motorbike riders, and can cause lasting damage to all vehicles. We'd urge councils to invest money on traffic-calming measures, whenever it is needed, to ensure the roads can be used safely."

Essex County Council said most people wanted potholes repaired and it would be making arrangements to fill those in Navestock as quickly as possible.

BOGAR
17th April 2009, 09:15
They could try these instead, then they get the best of both worlds.

Ixion
17th April 2009, 10:56
Hurrah. What I've been saying for ages.

Squid
21st April 2009, 23:52

Hells bells. If I saw one of them suckers on the road I'd be slowing down and swerving quick smart! Woudnt work in Dunedin though, they'd get pinched by students and put up on some ones flat wall.... :Pokey:

James Deuce
22nd April 2009, 06:35
Every time the traffic slows in Essex, another Sharon gets pregnant.

mujambee
22nd April 2009, 07:30

After a couple of months riding throug those you'll lose your programmed reaction. Then, when you come to the real thing....