PDA

View Full Version : Noobish bin this morning... facepalm

Danae
20th April 2009, 19:58
Alrighty, confession time from me. This morning it was pissing down but I just shrugged and hopped on the scooter. Only ridden in the rain once before and it was only slightly drizzly.

Anyways, thought nothing of the twisties around the domain until I actually got there. I was coming up to a right-hand turn and thought, "Shit, I'm going a bit too fast for this." I braked a wee bit before heading into the turn but as soon as I entered it my rear wheel slips and I think, "OK, going down. Embarrassing noob bin coming up, may as well enjoy it." So the scooter goes down and we both slide along the road. Weeee! I'm wearing my winter lining in my jacket so feel nothing lol. Then the scooter hits the curb, I hit the scooter. I look up, see a cager driving off but that's it. Shrug, get back on and continue away a bit slower. Realise my mirror is cracked.

General lulz all 'round. :lol:

Squiggles
20th April 2009, 20:06
So, have ya pumped ya tires up yet?

Danae
20th April 2009, 20:13
Hmmm....nope. Not sure how to go about doing this. :blip: I can't press down on the tyres, but I don't have man hands like the rest of the SMC. :rolleyes:

Jantar
20th April 2009, 20:23
The main thing is that you are OK. Mirrors can be replaced, you cant. Good to see that your gear gave some protection. :yes:

Slyer
20th April 2009, 20:23
Does your scooter have the dodgiest tyres possible?
At least you learned an important lesson without hurting yourself heh

mattian
20th April 2009, 20:26
Its always funny aye..... until someone gets hurt. Then its just hilarious.
Note to self. Steer clear of sccoter riders! as well as cars this winter.

Danae
20th April 2009, 20:27
I dunno, it's got pretty new tyres. The rear one has chicken strips and embossed pictures of motorcyclists on it...LOLOLOL :lol:

Danae
20th April 2009, 20:28
Its always funny aye..... until someone gets hurt. Then its just hilarious.
Note to self. Steer clear of sccoter riders! as well as cars this winter.
Yep we'll likely bin and take you down with us! Haha j/k

macros87
20th April 2009, 20:32
at least 6 ladies didn't get out of 4 cars pick you up from the road, buy you hot chocolate and a scone then keep you hostage until your mum came to pick you and your scooter up.... most back rubs ive ever gotten from random ppl..

The Stranger
20th April 2009, 20:33
but I don't have man hands like the rest of the SMC. :rolleyes:

Well I never - I had no idea there were men in the SMC.
Met many of the males, but didn't notice any men amongst them anywhere.

Squiggles
20th April 2009, 20:49
at least 6 ladies didn't get out of 4 cars pick you up from the road, buy you hot chocolate and a scone then keep you hostage until your mum came to pick you and your scooter up.... most back rubs ive ever gotten from random ppl..

But were they hot?

25psi Rear 21psi Front
Thats stock for the Vino 50 , go down to the gas station and try those

Danae
20th April 2009, 20:55
Psi right...? :eek:

Squiggles
20th April 2009, 21:00
Psi right...? :eek:

yep </10char></10char>

motorbyclist
20th April 2009, 21:53
just out of interest, how fast were you going?

Slyer
20th April 2009, 21:55
Judging by the scooter, not many.

cave weta
20th April 2009, 21:59

Ha ha ha ! - thats funny.

HTFU- In the hill country- no one can hear you scream!

Squiggles
20th April 2009, 22:02
just out of interest, how fast were you going?

Given the description, and taking into account the quality of brakes & tyres on that thing... I'd say about 135 with her knee down.. in fact, i believe something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ewq5J2OWk

Danae?

Danae
20th April 2009, 22:12
Well, when I entered the corner I must have been going 30? Maybe less. I didn't want to brake in the corner... D:

Slyer
20th April 2009, 22:22
Given the description, and taking into account the quality of brakes & tyres on that thing... I'd say about 135 with her knee down.. in fact, i believe something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ewq5J2OWk
The FUCK was on the track?

motorbyclist
20th April 2009, 22:40
The FUCK was on the track?

the bike that first went down blowed something up and dumped the all the oil from the motor onto the track... infront of his own rear wheel....

the rest of the next few laps consists of the commentators and riders yelling at the marshalls/race organisers to put up some oil flags or halt the race as bikes continue to go down lap after lap

macros87
20th April 2009, 22:43
But were they hot?

if they had been hot the tone of my story would be so different :(

Judging by the scooter, not many.

not many what?

HungusMaximist
21st April 2009, 11:38
Just a thought, grab a few pointers from experienced riders here about how to avoid losing your rear, or if you do lose it, how to recover from it.

Pumping and upgrading your tyres is one factor but most of the time it's the mentality and believing that you can make it, and you will.

Hope your confidence isn't too bruised.

Slyer
21st April 2009, 11:59
One thing I learned that was really good was keep looking straight ahead, don't look at what the bike is doing when you are sliding out, feel what it is doing.

This is how I fucked up when I had my bin on the motorway, I freaked and looked down. We practiced this at NASS, heavy braking over a gutter in the wet, I locked the wheel twice and I know I would have gone down again if I hadn't learned this.

Metalor
21st April 2009, 12:05
Water + Two Wheels = Shit.

Just take it easy in the wet, I try to keep leaing to a minimum and try to do all my breaking when I'm vertical. A liiiiittle is fine if your leaning a bit, but you're tempting fate in my opinion.

Maybe I should just stop being a nana?

macros87
21st April 2009, 13:08
yeah since my fall on the rain ive become ridiculously concerned about even the slightest amount of rain on the road, even now on a more competent bike and much better tires i still get a lil unnerved, ask andrew he has had the pleasure of being held up by me in the rain

vifferman
21st April 2009, 13:27
So, have ya pumped ya tires up yet?
Scroters don't need their tyres pumped up. Almost every one I've seen looks like it had half the pressure it shoulda. In fact, apart from a litre of gas every few months, and a driblle of oil when the engine starts geting noisy, they don't need any maintenance at all.

BTW - WTF is "facepalm"? :confused:
Cross between Facebook and summat else? Or is it this::slap:

Slyer
21st April 2009, 13:36
Scroters don't need their tyres pumped up. Almost every one I've seen looks like it had half the pressure it shoulda. In fact, apart from a litre of gas every few months, and a driblle of oil when the engine starts geting noisy, they don't need any maintenance at all.

Like that.

Ragingrob
21st April 2009, 13:45
One thing -

The Domain, with any moisture at all, is the worst piece of ashphalt that you could be on. Probably because 50% of the road is fucken tar slick! I've been down there in the rain at like 20kph and the rear AND front wheels have been slipping this way and that.

Hope you're all good and just ride like a nana in the rain k!

Ixion
21st April 2009, 13:46

Dude, youz showing your age. It's embarrassing. I shall pretend I have never heard of you.

Danae
21st April 2009, 14:01
Nah, confidence not bruised. Just have to learn to take it easy in the wet. I forgot about daylight savings and didn't leave uni til it was pretty dark, plus it was raining. I took a massive detour through kyber pass and to newmarket, then filled up with gas and went home. Couldn't see any sort of markings, just followed behind whoever was in front of me.
Fortunately it wasn't raining this morning so I went through the domain again. XD

YellowDog
21st April 2009, 14:38
I hate to be the one to say this to you Danae however have you thought about stopping riding until 2016 ?

It's something to do with a cracked mirror and seven years bad luck....

BTW: I wish you good luck to hopefully counteract the bad luck from the mirror.

Grahameeboy
21st April 2009, 14:41
Does your scooter have the dodgiest tyres possible?
At least you learned an important lesson without hurting yourself heh

Small wheels on a scoooter are always trubs.......

The Stranger
21st April 2009, 16:19
yeah since my fall on the rain ive become ridiculously concerned about even the slightest amount of rain on the road, even now on a more competent bike and much better tires i still get a lil unnerved, ask andrew he has had the pleasure of being held up by me in the rain

Number 1 tip:- Assuming you are not hanging off in the wet, you should be able to apply significant pressure to the outside peg on bends.

ital916
21st April 2009, 17:21
It is amazing how much a crash can offset ones confidence. Took a lot or cornering to get my confidence back for technical tight corners.

The domain in the wet is still a piece of road that I ride exceptionally carefully. Like rob I have had both front and rear end slides on that piece of road.