PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha FZ250 smoking?

Brownstoo
21st April 2009, 17:21
Well I just got myself one of these, with 70k on the clock.
When you crank it up past about 10 on the rev counter there's a lot of blue smoke. I'm thinking it's the rings, but this is my first bike so is there anything else I should be looking for?

Dargor
21st April 2009, 17:37
Just dont do that, no more problem. right?

Brownstoo
21st April 2009, 17:50
Just dont do that, no more problem. right?
But that's where all the fun is...

surfer
23rd April 2009, 10:26
More likely to get oily smoke. If it is the rings you will notice a loss of power as your bike will not go as fast. You can also do a compression test on each of the cylinders, do this before you contemplate pulling the engine apart and putting in new rings.

Brownstoo
5th May 2009, 16:00
I haven't done a compression test yet (probably do that tomorrow...). But caught a whiff of the oil today and there's a really strong petrolly sorta smell coming out...
Worn rings do this right? cauz the petrol vapour leaks past the rings in the compression stroke and screws with the oil, but since it's really strong should I be worried about the float levels?

Brownstoo
9th May 2009, 10:59
Aha, the fuel is leaking into the oil, while it's sitting. I left it for a couple of days with the fuel tap on, and it's gone down from a bit above the normal fuel intake, to just below it. The fuel pump 'clicks' constantly now when it didn't before so yeah, it's significantly down...
This is most likely the float level being set too high right?

kiwi cowboy
12th May 2009, 18:34
Aha, the fuel is leaking into the oil, while it's sitting. I left it for a couple of days with the fuel tap on, and it's gone down from a bit above the normal fuel intake, to just below it. The fuel pump 'clicks' constantly now when it didn't before so yeah, it's significantly down...
This is most likely the float level being set too high right?

or thr float needle not sealing properly allowing fuel to seep past it

Brownstoo
4th June 2009, 12:57
I've found a cheap engine that seems pretty sound, it's a 3ln1 and I just wanna find out some stuff before I go do a swap.
Does anyone know what bits are interchangeable between 2kr's and 3ln's?
Just wondering about the carbs, starter and CDI box. Anything else that I should be thinking about?