PDA

View Full Version : What is blueprinting?

The Pastor
22nd April 2009, 14:53
What dose the term blue printing mean? Anyone in NZ good at it?

imdying
22nd April 2009, 15:04
It's ensuring that the engine is assembled and manufacturered as the manufacturer intended. For example, balancing is a major part of blueprinting... the manufacturer intended for every piston to be 200 grams (for example), but some will be 199.5, some 200, and some 200.5.. The ports might be a little different across a head, blueprinting would include insuring that these are an exact match, that inlet runners etc are an exact match to the heads, etc etc etc.

It's simply having an engine assembled correctly.

Some engine builders will be better at this than others. They will charge accordingly. If you're not racing and/or don't have deep pockets, there's other cheaper ways to get gains... Formula racers that are restricted to the modifications they're allowed are more likely to fork out serious money in order to work within the rules.

Subike
22nd April 2009, 15:40
blue printing IMO is making sure that each and every part of the engine assembly is at the exact measurements and weights that the origional engine designers specified for that engine,
all bolts, nuts washers the correct weight,
all pistons the exact same size and weight,
all bores, ports, matching faces exactly correct,
all mating surfaces perfectly matched,
all reciprocating parts operating in pefect balance.
no plus or minus %001 allowance on anything at all.
It is a skilled assembler who can take a std mtr and make it work to its optimun performance without the need for any modification to std spec parts.

Hitcher
22nd April 2009, 16:06
Larry Flynt is particularly skilled at this.

Sully60
22nd April 2009, 16:14
Larry Flynt is particularly skilled at this.

Funnily enough most of his printing turns out pink.

YellowDog
22nd April 2009, 16:14
What dose the term blue printing mean? Anyone in NZ good at it?
Is there a specific reason for wanting to do this?

The huge price you would pay to have a Blueprint rebuild and tune would allow you to upgrade to a very good bike indeed.

The Pastor
22nd April 2009, 16:23
Is there a specific reason for wanting to do this?

The huge price you would pay to have a Blueprint rebuild and tune would allow you to upgrade to a very good bike indeed.
i might be getting a slight HP bug with my project bike.

avgas
22nd April 2009, 17:16
The "Blue-Print" is the original concept - not the drawings for the production model (Green-print).
People used to change their designs to the "Blue-Print" spec as most models are toned down from Concept vehicle to actual production vehicle.
Anyone else find this out - i always though blue-printing was based of original production prints, but turns out i was wrong and it goes further back to where they specs are the original concept ones.

Gremlin
22nd April 2009, 18:15
As said above, but there are also two sets of blueprinting that can be done.

Engine, as said, mucho moolah etc, but you can also have the crank balanced which can give decent gains, and not as expensive...

for the effort etc, I would just send it to Clee or someone, get the job done right, even though there is a long queue

Now, if rules don't have to be obeyed for your project... fuck it, bolt on a super or turbo charge... or both :laugh:

Kiwi Graham
22nd April 2009, 19:10
Man this is an expensive and time consuming exercise!
I used to work with Russle Benney from Phase One Endurance (building the qualifiyng chassis) and watched the effort and time that went into blue printing a motor. Every part measured, de-burred or rejected and another part put through the whole process. He was a bloody machine with OCD! Probably build 3 or 4 motors in the off season and if he needed to build one mid season Stay out of his way!! he'd pull all nighters for bloody days!

Basicly what people charge to blue print a motor doesn't cover it but what you get at the end is the best it can be!