PDA

View Full Version : XS650 first gear sticking unable to get into second

surfer
23rd April 2009, 10:34
Aaaarrgghhh at the most inconvenient of times I get stuck in first and can't shift the bugger into second. It is jammed solid. Any ideas what is causing this and how to cure it?

The problem is only between first and second gear. I notice that if I stop the bike and turn the engine off and then start again, the problem goes away, I can shift from first into second no problems.

The cases have been split a while ago and a crankshaft put in, the gear cogs also came out and went back in then.

Cheers for your help and suggestions

Motu
23rd April 2009, 18:39
Pretty common on the XS650 for the clutch to drag when hot.....slipping into neutral before you stop becomes a habit.Strip,check plates and springs,rebuild....and find it's still the same.It's critical to set up the throw out perfectly so you get maximum lift of the pressure plate....without slipping.Sucks that it is all behind the left case.

caseye
23rd April 2009, 18:50
Hey Surfer, sorry to hear shes playing up mate.
That Coro loop ride ain't far away.You still game?

surfer
24th April 2009, 11:25
It's critical to set up the throw out perfectly so you get maximum lift of the pressure plate....without slipping.Sucks that it is all behind the left case.

Many thanks for the reply.

What's the 'throw out' and how do I get this set up perfectly?

So it is a clutch problem rather than a gear problem?

Should I try new springs first and then if this doesn't work look at the clutch plates?

Does this mean I need to split the crankcase or can I access everything from the left hand side case? Also, will I need a special puller to get the clutch out or is there another way of doing this? I hear a screw driver wedged in does the job but I wouldn't like to damage stuff. Can you advise please?

Hey Surfer, sorry to hear shes playing up mate.
That Coro loop ride ain't far away.You still game?

Thanks for the remind. Not sure if can make it. Popped some new piston rings in but am waiting on new oil seals before I can put the points unit back on. Then want to give it a good test ride to make sure nothing falls off. Also wof time coming up and my rear tyre is looking a bit sad. Hopefully if have everything back together by then I will be there.

Motu
24th April 2009, 17:59
For a start - slacken your clutch cable off at the lever,or take the cable right off.The left case should have a little chrome dome,pop that off and under should be a 14mm nut and slotted adjuster.Loosen the nut,then turn the screw in until you feel a load,then back off - you want just a little play there,you should be able to feel that point where it just takes up,then back off a whisker.Then adjust your cable the same way - trying to have as little free play as possible.

The mechanism behind the left case can wear too.You can get at the clutch by removing the right hand case....no big deal,remove the footpeg is about all.The clutch is pretty basic - strip and tell us what you got....with photos.

surfer
11th June 2009, 18:09
Motu, cheers very much. You were spot on with the cable adjustment under the chrome dome on the left hand side of the crankcase. Nice one. Adjusted it and it seems to be fine now. Thanks, unable to bling as need to spread it around a bit first.

Apologies for the delay - had a bit of life and some mechanical adventures leaving oil spraying over the bike, at least I know the oil pump works. Made a slight miscalculation putting the engine back after putting in new piston rings so had to put it back all over again. I put the cam shaft roller bearings too close to the edge of the outside of the engine casing resulting in a less than snug fit for the points casing. Live and learn.

Motu
11th June 2009, 19:26
Live and learn.

That's one of the best things about the XS650,it's a bike you can learn on.