PDA

View Full Version : Training bike and Road Code?

bomma
23rd April 2009, 14:30
my mate's brother is keen to start riding so was wondering if anyone had a 250 they could let him ride around on and a roadcode he could use to sit his written test with. also what's a decent place to sit the BHS near mount roskill/hillsborough/lynfield area??

cheers,
bomma

motorbyclist
23rd April 2009, 15:14
is this rickesh? Does he already know how to ride?

I've got a dirtbike he can have a play on that is great for learning (and a bigger one for you to run circles around him on), and I know Danae did her training course and test on rosebank road somewhere....

Squiggles
23rd April 2009, 18:32
I think i've got a road code lying around he can borrow, last years version

Is he a complete newbie? The GN could probably go through another person learning clutch control :lol:

Real_Wolf
23rd April 2009, 19:45
rosebank road, riderskills i think its called, good place.

They loan you a gn125 to learn on, and you spend an hour or so before hand going through everything before the test.

Don't worry so much about the road code yet, and don't worry about 'having a go' on a bike before the bhs test, they feed you everything you have to do, and won't put you through the test if your definetely going to fail it.

Danae
23rd April 2009, 21:12
My dad passed the test with no motorcycle experience at all. Can't lend road code currently as I'm using it lol...
YEAH dirtbikes are mean fun. Btw Andrew, does the new brake lever work alright?

motorbyclist
23rd April 2009, 23:33
My dad passed the test with no motorcycle experience at all. Can't lend road code currently as I'm using it lol...

works well enough, though it is a strangely tight fit onto the bar. probably due to dodgy chinese manufacture

bomma
24th April 2009, 10:45

hehe no worries about the road code, ill grab it off squiggs. good luck with the written test

is this rickesh? Does he already know how to ride?

I've got a dirtbike he can have a play on that is great for learning (and a bigger one for you to run circles around him on), and I know Danae did her training course and test on rosebank road somewhere....

nah it's not ritesh, it's another mate's younger brother who wants to learn. ill definately hit you up on the dirtbikes once this guy's had a go on a smaller more tame bike

I think i've got a road code lying around he can borrow, last years version

Is he a complete newbie? The GN could probably go through another person learning clutch control :lol:

cheers squiggs, ill be givin you a buzz bout the road code. yep he's a complete noob, never ridden before so the gn would prolly be the perfect thing for him to learn on.

rosebank road, riderskills i think its called, good place.

They loan you a gn125 to learn on, and you spend an hour or so before hand going through everything before the test.

Don't worry so much about the road code yet, and don't worry about 'having a go' on a bike before the bhs test, they feed you everything you have to do, and won't put you through the test if your definetely going to fail it.

sweet ill look em up. in fact that's what i told him re: the BHS. i remember when i did mine (like a million years ago) and some of the people that passed were.............questionable at best. but this is what he said in reply "i guess you are right, but i actually want to learn how to ride a bike" which, imo, is the right attitude.

Ragingrob
24th April 2009, 13:05
Yeah with Riderskills you can do like a 2 hour lesson then the test afterwards. The lesson is well worth it, they teach very well and you get all the basics down-packed.

motorbyclist
24th April 2009, 19:59
nah it's not ritesh, it's another mate's younger brother who wants to learn. ill definately hit you up on the dirtbikes once this guy's had a go on a smaller more tame bike

lol i wouldn't put him on the motox bikes - i was referring to my 1985(?) honda XL125

I learnt on that back when I was barely able to touch the ground:2thumbsup

it's pretty hard to break, is pretty gutless unless you rev the tits off it and even then it lacks torque to climb hills, the brakes are "good enough" and due to it's being built for both on and offroad use the handling is pretty horrible compared to a modern offroad bike but it's good to learn on and has seen a fair few learners since myself. bonus for learners is they learn to crash and get a workout especially as the kickstart gives an incentive not to stall it too.

Real_Wolf
25th April 2009, 10:54
I thought that too when I was going for my BHS, but a simple fact is that most people he will learn off will have bad habits, and the way they teach you WILL teach you what are 'good' habits.

Those things that you don't need to do once your used to riding, like having your foot on the brake, holding constant revs and slowly letting out the clutch until you feel it bite, then let go of the brake and you will just start going forward, let the clutch out smoothly and then your done.

Now, how often do you do that when your riding, at least consiously